NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

TKthunder wrote:
NorwichCat11 wrote:
PAC12 will never get Notre Dame - too many ooc games, and too much baggage (not want to share NBC payout). Without the Texhoma 4, they hit the top MWC schools. It is a pretty easy line to follow here. Right now the best top 4 schools to grab are (in no particular order) Boise St., Utah St., Colorado St., and Nevada.

Their NBC deal pays less than the PAC12 schools get.

Back when ND "almost" joined the Big Ten in the late 90's, the money component was more obvious to use to hide the ugly selfish side and victim complex. That money matter no longer being the case, all that remains is the ugly selfishness of an institution, who even if given all the scheduling autonomy in the world by the PAC, would still turn it down...because it would mean being an "equal" with Oregon State and Washington State.

Right now, it's all about "tradition." Honestly, they just hate being equals with anyone other than themselves.

If the PAC continues to stiff the Cal State school down in San Diego, Colorado State and Utah State, to me, seem like the only MWC schools that would get consideration. And even there, USU's got a long way to go. UNR is just too small, UNM seems too aimless, and UNLV and Boise would likely always have Stanford and Berkeley types against them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I think the PAC should take a serious look at the University of British Columbia. It might take a few years for the football programs to convert and build up strength, but an investment of a few years’ time would have a tremendous payoff. UBC has over 57,000 students, and is ranked at one of the top research universities in the world. Vancouver has over 2.3 million people in the direct metro area, and a couple million more people in the rest of BC. The city has amazing facilities that were built for the 2010 Olympics. It would be a great fit geographically, while expanding the PAC network into an international media presence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:27 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

My Ranking of Pac-12 Candidates
1. Texas... the wow factor, everything
2. Oklahoma... Diet Texas
3. BYU... bring on the weirdness, fire up the applesauce
4. Hawaii... roll the dice and bet on them THRIVING with P5 infused upgraded resources.... seriously what 5***** recruit turns down 4 seasons in a tropical paradise?
5. Notre Dame... it would obviously be odd, but it still would be pretty awesome
6. Kansas... adding Kansas is the steroid boost that Pac-12 hoops needs
7. Oklahoma State... only if required by Oklahoma, read T. Boone's will first, I'm sure it's all good but better check anyway
8. Rice... better TV market than Tech and just a TAD better school
9. Texas Tech... just a drain on everyone else for zero gain, personally would not consider them and would just take Rice who Texas would also be fine with
10. Colorado State... if you have the new stadium signed off on
11. New Mexico... tempted to put them at #9 but some really awful football prevents me
12. UNLV... the lure of Vegas, let them cheat and be the bad guys, they could be the Florida State of the West someday (and they used to be in hoops)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:53 am 
Senior
Senior

casey151 wrote:
I think the PAC should take a serious look at the University of British Columbia. It might take a few years for the football programs to convert and build up strength, but an investment of a few years’ time would have a tremendous payoff. UBC has over 57,000 students, and is ranked at one of the top research universities in the world. Vancouver has over 2.3 million people in the direct metro area, and a couple million more people in the rest of BC. The city has amazing facilities that were built for the 2010 Olympics. It would be a great fit geographically, while expanding the PAC network into an international media presence.

My two cents: If they want in...follow the hierarchy and go MWC first. For schools to get into the PAC...they need to be ready, yesterday...not ready in a few years.

bigshotbob wrote:
4. Hawaii... roll the dice and bet on them THRIVING with P5 infused upgraded resources.... seriously what 5***** recruit turns down 4 seasons in a tropical paradise?
5. Notre Dame... it would obviously be odd, but it still would be pretty awesome
7. Oklahoma State... only if required by Oklahoma, read T. Boone's will first, I'm sure it's all good but better check anyway
9. Texas Tech... just a drain on everyone else for zero gain, personally would not consider them and would just take Rice who Texas would also be fine with
11. New Mexico... tempted to put them at #9 but some really awful football prevents me
12. UNLV... the lure of Vegas, let them cheat and be the bad guys, they could be the Florida State of the West someday (and they used to be in hoops)

Funny and informative. Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:17 am 
Senior
Senior

Real possibilities are UT,UO,okl St and Texas Tech

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:54 am 
Senior
Senior

ctx48c wrote:
Real possibilities are UT,UO,okl St and Texas Tech

Baylor and TCU might be putting all this into question.

With a very strong Baylor and TCU....the conference only gets that much stronger. Because, having Texas, Oklahoma, OSU and Tech as secondary schools adds a ton of depth to the conference...which in tern, solidifies the group. Which also means that none of the schools will be looking to leave. They just need to add two schools to mirror other major conferences whipping posts....like: Rutgers, Indiana, Vandy, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Syracuse, Kentucky...etc. Which makes Iowa State and Kansas happy, because they don't have to be at the bottom of the list each year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

The privates in the PAC 12 are nothing like TCU or baylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

ctx48c wrote:
The privates in the PAC 12 are nothing like TCU or baylor

And the Big 12 is most thankful for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The more I think about it, Notre Dame to the Pac 16 would make a hell of a lot of sense. Other than the religious aspect, The Fighting Irish is academically equal the Stanford's and Berkeley's of the conference and vice-versa. ND would make way more money in a Pac 16 than with NBC. Plus, they would be THE biggest east coast school in a West Coast conference. That means even more exposure in NYC media.

I think the dream expansion has to Texas, OU, ND, and Nebraska. I know this won't happen, but just imagine if it did.

Pac 16

West: Washington/State, Oregon/State, Stan/Cal, UCLA/USC

Central: Arizona/State, Utah/CU, Texas/OU, NebraskaND

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The 16 teams conference format could end up
ACC BIG10 PAC12 SEC
BC Ohio St Wash S Carolina
Syracuse Michigan Wash St Georgia
Pitts Mich St Oregon Florida
Wake Rutgers Ore St Tennessee
Louisville Penn St Cal Kentucky
*WVU Maryland Stanford Arkansas
*UConn Indiana UCLA *TCU
*Vanderbilt Purdue USC *NC St
Vtech Wisconsin Arizona Alabama
UVA Minnesota Az St Auburn
Duke Nebraska Utah Ole Miss
UNC Iowa Colorado Miss St
Clemson Illinois *UNLV LSU
GT NW *New Mex T A&M
Miami *Missouri *Baylor *Oklahoma
Fl st *Kansas *Ok St *K-State

Independence: Notre Dame, Texas, BYU

BIG10 probably moves first by inviting Kansas and Missouri. Then SEC moves for replacement and expands its market for Oklahoma, K-State, one of the Texas schools which (ideally is Texas but it won't happen) probably in the north Texas (TCU) and switches NC St. with Vandy. ACC picks up WVU and UConn.
PAC12: UNLV and New Mexico are not attractive choices but they open two very good markets. Baylor and Ok State are good addition for central time games option.

but all could change, it depends on who has the courage to move first.
I love to see KU in PAC12 but I think BIG10 will move first.
cheer!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Spokesman-Review article(previously posted in another thread)discussing WSU financial situation at http://www.spokesman.com/cougs/stories/ ... -athletics

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Anyone looking at how to take the whole cartel down, it resides in Pullman. All the talk was about how all this new and increased revenue was going to do wonders for these schools "in the club," but all that's been proven, at least with WSU, is that when you make more, you still spend more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:18 pm 
Senior
Senior

bigshotbob wrote:

I actually kind of like the idea of Hawaii in the Pac 12. It gives them a late night time slot on ESPN. It also allows the conference a chance to schedule a extra home game if they chose to. The only problem i see is that it might be hard to find a #14 school. Maybe they could add Bosie State in the north?(it wouldn't be a slam dunk)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:39 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The academic status of the universities is very important. I have seen Boise State mentioned by some here. That will never happen. BSU may become a prestige institution some day, but it is nowhere close to that now. It ranks third in it's own state. For now, BSU is a cost not a gain.

I am still not sure why expansion matters anymore. The available markets being discussed are relatively small, and the revenue will just be eaten up by the revenue producing programs (witness Harbaugh's new contract; also notice that offensive and defensive coordinators are now at half a million per year; and, a look at any team photo shows that there are almost as many coaches and staff as players). The real long-term losers will be the non-rev sports. That is already true in the SEC where most schools field many fewer teams in these sports than ACC, Big10, and PAC12. AL has to make sure Saban gets his before they start up a lacrosse team.

The previously linked article about WSU makes a point that always needs reinforcing: The academic side of universities typically see nothing of the sports dollars, and often (thru student fees) end up moving money from the academic side to the athletic side. Only a handful of athletic programs make money, and only some of them pass a pittance on to the academic side.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:13 pm 
Senior
Senior

rrsq wrote:
The academic status of the universities is very important. I have seen Boise State mentioned by some here. That will never happen. BSU may become a prestige institution some day, but it is nowhere close to that now. It ranks third in it's own state. For now, BSU is a cost not a gain.

I am still not sure why expansion matters anymore. The available markets being discussed are relatively small, and the revenue will just be eaten up by the revenue producing programs (witness Harbaugh's new contract; also notice that offensive and defensive coordinators are now at half a million per year; and, a look at any team photo shows that there are almost as many coaches and staff as players). The real long-term losers will be the non-rev sports. That is already true in the SEC where most schools field many fewer teams in these sports than ACC, Big10, and PAC12. AL has to make sure Saban gets his before they start up a lacrosse team.

The previously linked article about WSU makes a point that always needs reinforcing: The academic side of universities typically see nothing of the sports dollars, and often (thru student fees) end up moving money from the academic side to the athletic side. Only a handful of athletic programs make money, and only some of them pass a pittance on to the academic side.

Welcome aboard!

I do agree that academics are very important when choosing a new conference mate. Even though there isn't really a connection between athletics and academics. And, I totally understand when someone from the Pac comments that Boise won't get in. Because I feel the same about some schools that are recommended for the Big 12, sometimes. Fit and style are important when choosing a school you have to be friends with for a long time....and trust.

I do have to disagree a bit on your connection between Saban and a lacrosse program. First of all...lacrosse has to be an important part of your states athletics...and lacrosse isn't. It's not even a DI sport in Texas...and it's been getting much bigger here since the early 1990's. So, I just don't think Alabama would have a lacrosse team...even if Saban worked for free. Lacrosse is not that big in the deep south.
I'm certain...with the amount Saban makes...you can find a better issue to take umbrage with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 915 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61