NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

Now here's one that really needs to be accomplished. What would we call a 12 team Big Ten. The conference is going to regret the day when the name change takes place, given all the tradition of the name "Big Ten". Still it's got to happen and the new name has to be a fantastic one.

I vote for (and even included it in my screen name): Big Dozen (realizing there might be some confusion with the Big XXII, but what the heck: it was the Big Ten who came up with this Big "Number" naming system. So Big Dozen is my favorite.

Others:
Great Lakes Conference
Interior Conference
Big Midwest
Golden Dozen
Heartland Conference
Lakes&Plains Conference
North Coast Conference

OTHERS?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:02 pm 
Junior
Junior

How about the MidWest 12? I think I like the Big MidWest Conference the best. It emphasizes the region and it keeps the "Big" portion from the Big 10. Have you seen their logo? It says Big 10, but you can see 11 in the numbers. So, what will they do if they move to 12? Probably keep the Big 10 moniker and say something like Big 10 (12). or Bi12g 10. or 12 Big 10 teams. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Good points about wanting to keep a facet of the Big 10 name, but obviously both couldn't be included unless they simply keep the old name, which wouldn't be unheard of. If a change has gotta come, though, I also prefer the Big Midwest. Ties to the old name, speaks of regionality, not too long. Also avoids connotations that these schools can't add! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

In keeping with the original name "Western Conference", and the fact that there are just too many "BIG"s. I'd go for "The Western Twelve Conference". "Big Midwest" sounds like a little brother to "Big West"...and we can't have that. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:14 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The old term "midwest" is very outdated as well - these schools really are more "mideast" than midwest - they are in the northcentral to northeastern US - heck, even Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana are as far west as the Big 10 schools and could just as easily be termed "midwest" - I like your term "Great Lakes Conference" or something similar - the midwest moniker is just not accurate - Arkansan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

Do I dare suggest it, the height of arrogance, the ultimate in self-focus, the most in-your-face name imaginable? I can't. I won't. I shouldn't. I will.

How about.....THE CONFERENCE ????

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Do I dare suggest it, the height of arrogance, the ultimate in self-focus, the most in-your-face name imaginable? I can't. I won't. I shouldn't. I will.

How about.....THE CONFERENCE ????

bgdz, I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't have the balls to do it!!! ;D ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:36 pm 
Junior
Junior

I still like the BIGGER TEN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Now here's one that really needs to be accomplished. What would we call a 12 team Big Ten. The conference is going to regret the day when the name change takes place, given all the tradition of the name "Big Ten". Still it's got to happen and the new name has to be a fantastic one.

I vote for (and even included it in my screen name): Big Dozen (realizing there might be some confusion with the Big XXII, but what the heck: it was the Big Ten who came up with this Big "Number" naming system. So Big Dozen is my favorite.

Others:
Great Lakes Conference
Interior Conference
Big Midwest
Golden Dozen
Heartland Conference
Lakes&Plains Conference
North Coast Conference

OTHERS?

If we're taking what WOULD happen into account, you can throw out any name that specifies a region of the U.S. With the marketing-oriented world we now live in, they would never "limit the sales potential" that way.

I guartee you they will use the phrase "we are a national conference" at any announcement session.

American 12 or Big American seem very likely to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:03 pm 
Even if #12 is added, the Big Ten keeps the name: Big Ten. Where is it written that the name must match the exact number of participants? The Atlantic 10 has been off too.

The Big Ten name is historical and traditional. It simply stays, even if the membership rises. They will figure out a way to remove the "11" from the logo and make it a "12" if that ever happens. The current logo may just hang around a few more years. But, my bet is on the conference name staying.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

How about the National Football Conference? Oh, wait...

(For sure the Big Ten would be considered as good, and certainly more popular, than several NFL divisions!)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:56 pm 

How about the

Big North??

or for Laughs...

Big MAC?? ;D :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

^ Great name. Too bad both McDonald's and the real MAC will file suit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

Changing my mind, I'm going with

T H E I N T E R I O R C O N

that is, the conference of the interior of the nation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

How About "The Twelve"?