NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:22 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Cedar Rapids with comments from Iowa President regarding the general topic of conference expansion.Link at http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sport ... n-20160613

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SBJ article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that ESPN and the Big Ten have agreed on a tv rights package for about $190 million per year with the total being about $440 million per year without including BTN revenue.Link at http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... g-Ten.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of DesMoines (previously posted in another thread) discussing Big Ten tv revenue situation.Link at http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... s/86369754

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:25 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

westwolf wrote:
As usual, you make a lot of sense, Lash. I wonder whether UNC and UVA would move without NC State and Va Tech?

Well no, if referencing reality, because the states of North Carolina and Virginia are the ACC's core. The rambling makes little sense, considering the schools specifically, unless the desire is the breakage of the ACC. The SEC would never give Notre Dame partial membership, but acknowledge, if forced to full-time fb, I would not be surprised if Notre Dame would choose the SEC over the B1G. The ACC will hold Notre Dame to the terms of their contract for the duration. Like Texas (LHN), Notre Dame is going to have special, lucrative media/TV deals and everybody will continue to go along even if a few complain.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Inside higher education article discussing CIC name change and University of Chicago status at http://insidehighered.com/quicktakes/20 ... anges-name

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Crains Detroit Biz article with report that Michigan/Notre Dame have agreed to renew their FB rivalry.An official announcement is pending.Link at http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20 ... ll-rivalry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Champaign(previously posted in another thread)with comments from Illinois AD regarding Illinois finances and the expected 26July announcement of the new Big Ten tv rights deals at http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illi ... world.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Champaign(previously posted in another thread)with comments from Illinois AD regarding Illinois finances and the expected 26July announcement of the new Big Ten tv rights deals at http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illi ... world.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am quite sure their is some envy out their of how much the Big Ten schools are making in some power conference circles. It is a little embarrassing the Big Ten can not count correctly or this article does not report facts correctly.

Unless my math fails me, the Big 12 schools are getting 30 million dollars this year for tier which matches the Big Ten Tier 1 money that will start next year. Not counting tier 3 money by the Big 12, maybe the Pac 12 with 25 million is only half of the estimated future Big Ten projections, the Big 12 is in a much better shape with most schools making in the an average of 35 million per school with Texas checking in at 45 million per school.

This is before the Big 12 championship game kicks in next year that will bring an estimated 2 to 3 million more dollars per school.

The Big 12 at the very least still has the Big Ten in binocular views of revenue.

If I were the Big Ten would not brag too much with envy until this revenue turns into some sports success especially for a school like the University of Illinois.

Getting trashed in the playoff by your football champion and failing to reach the final four in basketball is not the term I would use as envy for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This Golden Goose is not likely to last forever, as already ESPN is starting to feel the pinch...

The schools need to be smart and use this windfall to invest in one-time non-recurring costs like facilities,
and resist the temptation to lock themselves into overpaying for ridiculous 10-year contracts to coaches / staffs....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute, in this day and age, facilities aren't a one-time cost. They're Renewal expenses.

Ohio State builds a new weight room every five years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Agree - even on existing facilities there is a hefty maintenance bill.

But say you want to build a new swimming facility for $25-$30 million.
that might require a bond issue.
With these big payouts from TV - now is the time to pull that off -
IF YOU DON'T try to compete with Alabama and devote $6 mill to the head football coach, and another $6 mill to his staff....
those kind of payments are utterly ridiculous and the schools and boosters need to start showing some restraint.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Is now the time, if the system wants 4 super-conferences @ 16 or so each, to make their move on the B12? I am not recommending this, but if the idea is some goal among the power elite, poaching the B12 now, while still at 10 members, seems like the least difficult road to do so. Some sports' commentators are advancing the thought:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... -12-again/"

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... 12-schools"

Texas and Kansas to the B1G?

SEC takes the Oklahoma schools?

Texas and Texas Tech to the PAC 12?

WVU or ISU or TCU to the ACC if Notre Dame goes full fb in the ACC?

Actually, if the B1G, PAC 12, SEC, and perhaps the ACC, got together and AGREED simultaneously which schools each would take,
it would have some measure of possibility.

Beyond the other power 4 agreeing, and much less at the same time, two schools would not allow this to happen: Texas with the LHN; and Notre Dame refusing to give up their fb independent status.

When the B12 expands, if they do so smartly, P5 will remain for many years to come.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 am 
Freshman
Freshman

lash wrote:
I am quite sure their is some envy out their of how much the Big Ten schools are making in some power conference circles. It is a little embarrassing the Big Ten can not count correctly or this article does not report facts correctly.

Unless my math fails me, the Big 12 schools are getting 30 million dollars this year for tier which matches the Big Ten Tier 1 money that will start next year. Not counting tier 3 money by the Big 12, maybe the Pac 12 with 25 million is only half of the estimated future Big Ten projections, the Big 12 is in a much better shape with most schools making in the an average of 35 million per school with Texas checking in at 45 million per school.

This is before the Big 12 championship game kicks in next year that will bring an estimated 2 to 3 million more dollars per school.

The Big 12 at the very least still has the Big Ten in binocular views of revenue.

If I were the Big Ten would not brag too much with envy until this revenue turns into some sports success especially for a school like the University of Illinois.

Getting trashed in the playoff by your football champion and failing to reach the final four in basketball is not the term I would use as envy for now.

Just a disclaimer to start off, I'm an Illinois fan, but you haven't hurt my feelings I freely acknowledge we have been a dumpster fire athletic program in football and basketball recently...but I think the point of the article is Illinois, throw in Purdue, Rutgers (when they become full time members), ... that also have been football dumpster fires are likely to make more money from TV/media conference deals than Texas with there own sweet deal in Big12 & own network and is generally viewed as the number 1 athletic department in terms of revenue (or in top 3 with Oregon/Ohio State).

To lazy to look up numbers, but as I recall Big12 with new TV contract just handed out ave. of ~ 35 mil, but it was up a large amount from ~30 million previous year which indeed get it close to B1G number for 1 year (caveat is that may be average number including Texas/OK number - but not that important at this point - on the B1G number it is worth noting, Nebraska, Rutgers, MD are not on full shares yet which inflates number a bit, but I believe B1G has been also holding some money to pay MD's ACC exit fee as well...so don't hold too much in either's 1 yr number).

So where does the 50 mil come that people are quoting...best ( and its not great) I've seen is this analysis
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/big-ten ... -deal.html

This analysis was a prediction after 1st half with Fox was signed, assuming they would get same amount for 2nd half of Tier 1, which didn't happen, but it came in reasonably close. A few other caveat's, seems like the 740k tournament line is probably in Fox deal announced, Fox deal when it came out was stated with up to caveat, leaving me to speculate that content may have had some provisions to negotiate/leverage 2nd half of rights, contract is likely not split evenly over 6 years (will be less year 1), BTN will undoubtedly grow. So to me 50 million seems pretty reasonable guess from a back of the napkin sort of calculation level if the first tier TV numbers are near what has been rumored & I'd bet for planning purposes B1G ADs have a number and that is where this 50 mil came from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2263 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151