Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:51 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hawaii to the Pac 10?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:41 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Would Hawaii be a good choice if the Pac 10 went to 12, along with say Colorado?

I think they would, they fit in cultural and is a pretty liberal state. Fits the Pac 10 to a T. Also they play alot of Pac 10 schools in other sports.

Pac 10
North
Colorado
Hawaii
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

South
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Stanford
UCLA
USC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:08 pm 
Search through the general PAC 10 realignment threads. That exact combo has been discussed before and I think the consensus was the costs associated with making Hawaii a member outweighed any financial assets they might bring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:33 pm 
Hawaii is way in Pacific and cost much money for sports travel. The WAC works for them.
Colorado is Big 12 and fits with them. Going all way west coast could be travel trouble.
What PAC 10 needs is Utah. For the other BYU.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:20 am 
I think Utah + BYU makes more sense for the Pac 10.

Also, forget any thoughts that the conference would change its name to the Pac 12. It's the same with the Big 10.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:40 am 
I dunno....

They were the PAC-8 before the addition of Arizona and ASU. It would be interesting to know if anyone has registered the name PAC-12. That would tell a lot, regarding any future names.

The Big 10 (or Ten) is somewhat in conflict on naming rights with the Big XII. I beleive the Big XII owns the rights to the name Big 12 and even Big 14 (they had the foresight to cover the bases, regarding future expansion).

I honestly believe the Big 10 never espected to be 11 for very long. I think the plan was to pull in PSU and Notre Dame. They caught PSU on the rebound after being rebuffed on Paterno's proposed Eastern Conference, and later rebuffed on joining the Big East.

I think many at Notre Dame (those in initial discussions with the Big Ten in 1998-9) were in favor of joining, but it got shot down as it moved up the ladder at ND. I see a day when their football team loses it's aura (it already has with a lot of people), and the financial lure of independence (a big TV contract with NBC) fades away. May not happen soon, but eventually the fans of the game will be too young to remember when ND was truly elite. At that time, ND may rethink conference membership.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:09 pm 
As has been stated earlier by another, there is somewhat of a "national cultural component" to the term "Big Ten" (i.e. "Big Ten" primaries) that the Pac-10 doesn't really have...

http://bigten.collegesports.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

a) The Home Depot Center seats 25 - 27k.

b) Check with more knowledgable authorities but I was under the impression that if there ever were to be divisions you'd be hard pressed to split the California schools.

c) Adding Hawaii and UNLV won't add enough money to the PAC 10 coffers to offset the new payouts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:45 pm 

Quote:
a) The Home Depot Center seats 25 - 27k.

b) Check with more knowledgable authorities but I was under the impression that if there ever were to be divisions you'd be hard pressed to split the California schools.

c) Adding Hawaii and UNLV won't add enough money to the PAC 10 coffers to offset the new payouts.

Group 1:
Cal
Stanford
UCLA
USC
UAZ
AZSU

Group 2:
UWA
WASU
UOU
OUSU
UUT
BYU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

What has all this discussion to do with Pac-10 expansion?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:23 pm 

Link to Post - Back to Top  IP: 12.216.224.9

metropolitan
All-Star

trbrink3@yahoo.com [send pm]

Re: Hawaii to the Pac 10?
« Reply #13 on 3/14/2005 at 5:49pm »
[Quote] [Modify] [Delete]

It does in being able to understand what the following acronyms are for what universities according to common abbreviations used by those schools and common internet communication protocol:

UWA? Should be UW or U Wash or Washington
WASU? Should be WSU, Wash State, Washington State, or more common abbreviation Wazzu.
OUSU? What is this? Should it be OSU, or more commonly Ore St, or Oregon State.
UOU? What is this? How about U of O, Ore, Oregon, or U of Oregon.
UAZ? Should be U of A, or U of Ariz, perhaps, or just simply Arizona, or U of Arizona
AZSU? This is commonly known as ASU. Where do you get AZSU? it could also be Ariz St, maybe or Arizona State
UUT? This is really awkward. "Utah" only has four letters. Why not go the extra letter and spell so it makes sense and something that people commonly identify, such as Utah instead of the bizzare 3-letter UUT.

Its just common internet communication protocol to figure out and use common identifiable abbreviations for universities. I don't get nitpicky with people's spelling, but there is some ways of communicating with people and the internet that can be an annoyance. Sometimes out of spite people wil spell words by alternating lower case and upper case letters in words, or abbreviate words in uncommon ways. Its just a show of not respecting the people that are going to read your post when you continue to use that behaivor. Misspellings are a given, but something like feeling the need to use 2-letter postal codes in state university names is annoying, especially if you know that university, its students, faculty, allumni and sports followers/fans don't ever refer to their respective universities that way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:10 pm 
Using single letters is just as confusing.

UW. Is that Washington or Wisconsin?

I could say U(WA) which shows that WA should really just be 1 letter and I'm using the postal code abbriviation to make things clearer, but I'm too lazy to do that.

Sorry if it bugs you, but my system works with all public schools.

For example, Middle Tennessee State becomes MTNSU.

I suppose I should've been consistant and said UCA Berkeley and UCA Los Angelas, but I didn't.