NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:32 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Canadian Colleges play by Canadian rules... if they're playing in Canadian conferences. Simon Fraser played by American rules when in NAIA. Oddly, BC high schools play by American rules, while the rest of Canadian high schools play Canadian rules. I'd think there are exceptions here and there.

The UBC stadium is totally insufficient. They'd have to use BC Place (65,000 seat dome), they'd have to grow their program by leaps and bounds. College sports in Canada is nowhere near the scope of American colleges, and the hints I see are that, if the NCAA allows this, the Canadian colleges making the jump would "start small."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 pm 
Junior
Junior

As someone that lives in the Chicago area far from the West Coast:

Current population figures about Sacramento and the like are a bunch of mumbo jumbo here. If the Pac 10 can't figure out the value of being the first major sports entity to have a presence in Las Vegas, I don't know what to tell you. A little common sense here - if a recruit from Any Town, USA has a choice of playing in a BCS school in Utah, the Sacramento "market", or Vegas, which one is he going to pick 9 times out of 10? I have a pretty good guess there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:36 pm 
Junior
Junior

Yes, but UNLVs academics suck, The pac ten would never be interested.
I believe that if/when UC Davis moves to the wac they will get better. If they sell out games, and become successful, the pac ten will take a good look at them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:57 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Yes, but UNLVs academics suck, The pac ten would never be interested.
I believe that if/when UC Davis moves to the wac they will get better. If they sell out games, and become successful, the pac ten will take a good look at them.

UNLV isn't Stanford, but so aren't Arizona State or Oregon State. I'll echo some of the previous thoughts here that another California school isn't going to do much for the Pac-10 since the Cal/Stanford/USC/UCLA combo pretty much takes care of the state even if they are physically located in only LA and the Bay Area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 pm 
Junior
Junior

Yes, I agree with the ASU, and OSU statement. WSU could be included also. I guaruntee if the pac ten was created today, none of those schools would be invited. But UNLV is a commuter school that the pac ten wants nothing to do with, and its not even that big of a market.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Las Vegas is an extension of California as currently constituted. UNLV can't even take advantage of the massive growth it's getting (though, to be sure, it's a massive PERCENTAGE more than it is a massive ACTUAL).

UNLV is close to having negative value with the Pac-10. The gambling issue creates some negativity in the eyes of school presidents and ADs.

Last edited by pounder on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:59 pm 
Junior
Junior

But what about Nevada?

Technically they should bring the entire state of NV as a potential market. Including LV and the Reno area.

Their men's basketball team could compete for the P10 title.

Football would probably be a bottom feeder.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:55 pm 
Junior
Junior

No, They only bring about 16,000 to their games, even when their succesful, and and they dont have the pac ten academics. It would never happen.