NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:42 pm 
Junior
Junior

no unr does not have much fan support. yes sacramento adn san diego probably do have more pac 10 fan support but the mwc has no presence in sacramento, nor does any 1-a conference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Where 12 vs 11 or 10 or 8 becomes more of an acute matter to ponder, is not necessarily in the regular season, but addressing factors of consistency,

Only one school, Notre Dame, is given an independent criteria. it just shows further the system is not uniform or consistent.

the Big East poses the most glaring inconsistency.

SEC03, did you feel so strongly about "consistency" back when the SEC was the only conference that had 12 members & the only conference in which all members didn't play each other?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:
Where 12 vs 11 or 10 or 8 becomes more of an acute matter to ponder, is not necessarily in the regular season, but addressing factors of consistency,

Only one school, Notre Dame, is given an independent criteria. it just shows further the system is not uniform or consistent.

the Big East poses the most glaring inconsistency.

SEC03, did you feel so strongly about "consistency" back when the SEC was the only conference that had 12 members & the only conference in which all members didn't play each other?

I would say the SEC has been the pacesetter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like you want to have it both ways.

Back when the SEC had 12 teams & no one else had more than 10 they were the "pacesetter" & consistency wasn't important. Now that others have expanded to 12, being different is a problem & "consistency" trumps everything. Hmmm . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not to split hairs Friar but the Big10 was at 11 when the SEC started their conference championship in 1992.

PSU was accepted into the league in the spring 1990 but didn't start play until 1992.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like you want to have it both ways.

Back when the SEC had 12 teams & no one else had more than 10 they were the "pacesetter" & consistency wasn't important. Now that others have expanded to 12, being different is a problem & "consistency" trumps everything. Hmmm . . .

....maybe Alabama will be kind and invite the Big East's Providence football team to play at Bryant-Denny. You think?

Last edited by sec03 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
hey talk about sec matters somewhere else this is a pac 10 topic

While it is quite easy for discussion to diverge, perhaps you may want to the read back on the core of the earlier discussion. Friarfan, SEC, and others were discussing comparative conference sizes, and certainly the PAC 10's size of 10 interrelates in direct and indirect ways with other BCS conferences, i.e. SEC and BE. When a specific comment is responded to, supported, or challenged, it makes sense for it to be leveled in the domain it originated. Of course, anything prolonged and more narrow in focus could and should be re-categorized.

I haven't seen any thread's commentaries so profound, enlightening or pure, that the college sports world is held in awe. Some go so far as to put a damper on debate, be it fun, humorous, or pensive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Comparisons are always good, even if I was somewhat tempted to take bigd's tack yesterday.

That would have made me a poster child for irony. I can fly off on a tangent, snap! Apparently, I'm subconciously trying to prove the existence of centrifugal force. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:49 pm 
Junior
Junior

sorry I didnt mean to offend anyone, I just think we're getting off topic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:43 pm 
Junior
Junior

Another thought, how about British Columbia? They have a good market, good academics, and could easily be a pac ten level school.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:23 pm 
Junior
Junior

For the same reason Guelph, York, or Toronto will never be in the Big Ten, or Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Halifax, Dollhousie or a UQuebec campus will never be in the Big East.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:35 am 
Junior
Junior

Cal already gives the Big 10 the entire CA market. Therefore, they'll never add another CA school.

The Las Vegas and Salt Lake City markets are really the only big markets left in the west that could increase their TV revenue.

So Utah would be an obvious candidate. And either UNLV or Nevada.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:12 am 
Junior
Junior

No way, California has 37 million people, 7 1-a teams and two a who will likely move up. Cal deosnt provide the sacramento or san diego market, which are much bigger than salt lake or las vegas.
Those markets are small and do nothing for the pac ten. Plus they are looking for AAU(association of American Universities) Schools. Colorado, does pass all of the tests, but so does UC Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Cal deosnt provide the sacramento or san diego market, which are much bigger than salt lake or las vegas.

Horse bleep. Well, half horse bleep.

The combination of Cal, Stanford, USC, and UCLA carry the Sacramento market better than the combination of Sac State and UC Davis. Easily.

San Diego doesn't need to worry about Cal and Stanford, because USC and UCLA pretty much cover the place by their lonesome. At least San Diego State has a presence, but it's not nearly enough to budge the Pac-10.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Another thought, how about British Columbia? They have a good market, good academics, and could easily be a pac ten level school.

Do they play any FB now?
If so, is it American?
Does anyone attend?