NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:16 pm 
Junior
Junior

Nope.

Minnesota Wisconsin is on par with Iowa Iowa State.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Okay Tman,

Lets see some evidence or analysis on why you think that is true. Cause Iowa fans don't think as strongly about Iowa State as a rival as they do Minnesota.

Tell me with critical analysis on why you think that is the case.

Its isn't as simple as "they got to be, they are in the same state." Because I know that is not true for Iowa.

Last edited by metropolitan on Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/iowa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/supplement.pdf

pg 141

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:45 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Okay Tman,

Lets see some evidence or analysis on why you think that is true. Cause Iowa fans don't think as strongly about Iowa State as a rival as they do Minnesota.

Tell me with critical analysis on why you think that is the case.

Its isn't as simple as "they got to be, they are in the same state." Because I know that is not true for Iowa.

The simple fact, is that you don't know many Iowans.

You only know UI fans.

Of course those are going to pretend the rivalry is not as important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:07 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Now you are making proclaimations of who I know as fact. How would you know who I know? There are opinions, which I can understand if there is critical analysis or an explanation of why you hold that opinion. But then there are assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions.

I have lived in both rural and urban Iowa. I also knew Iowa and ISU alums when I lived in Nebraska. Actually I know slightly more ISU alums than I do Iowa alums. Nonetheless, U of I fans don't think of ISU quite the way they do Minnesota and Wisconsin. Minnesota is U of I's "Ohio State."

The simple truth is that both schools and fans have to hold the rivalry up to be their "most important rivalry" in order for it to be the most important or more important than other rivalries.

Stop assuming who I know, and please consider providing some analysis as to why you hold your opinion. I am interested in understanding your opinion more.

Last edited by metropolitan on Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Ladies, put down the hand bags.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:13 pm 
Junior
Junior

Metro, it doesn't matter that you know some UI fans.

They don't speak for everyone.

You're wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Metro, it doesn't matter that you know some UI fans.

They don't speak for everyone.

You're wrong.

T-man, please drop your ridiculous argument. A few years ago, I talked to one of my fraternity brothers is a huge Iowa fan. I made the comment to him that Iowa-Iowa State was similar to Alabama-Auburn. He looked at me like I was crazy. Now, I know why. I talked to a member of my alma mater's baseball team awhile back about Iowa's prospects of beating Minnesota, and he was all pumped about that, just about as much as your regular Alabama fan would be about beating Auburn. Granted, these are just two native Iowans I talked to, but when you factor them in with what Metro what said, it makes Metro's argument stronger.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Also, the Cy-Hawk series is bigger for ISU fans than UI fans. That is a fact.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:59 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I live in Kansas City, work with alums from both schools. Iowa's big rival is Minnesota, Iowa State's big rival is Iowa. Its that simple, yes Iowa fans don't like Iowa State but its main rival is Minnesota.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:46 am 
Junior
Junior

Minnesota's rival is Wisconsin.

Iowa is a secondary match up to that. Always has been.

Iowa's main rival is Iowa State.

The fact that they try to pretend it isn't is just further proof that I'm correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:00 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

When fans react in a way that says something different than what you assume, they are given their honest response. This is especially true if there are numerous fans of certain team doing so. There is no conspiracy with Iowa fans feeling more strongly about Minnesota than Iowa State.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It's a dream from Iowa State fans that they are Iowa's main rival. That doesn't mean Iowa is all that in on the snugglebunnies.

I can't quantify how much of that dream is reality. I doubt it. I know Floyd of Rosedale has to be valued more by Minnesota and Iowa, simply for conference implications.

Not that it matters to me. I SENSE tman wants to use this argument to wedge Iowa State into the Big 10, and it's not going to work like that. The Big 10 has better markets to mine, and we all know it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
It just a matter of time before all 6 of the BCS conferneces will be 12 teams with football championship game. Maybe number seven will emerge out west after Pac 10 takes the Utah schools.

Lash, why the Utah schools? Why not expand within California where there are certainly plenty of legitimate candidates?

Being in Pac Ten country, you certainly know better than I.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:44 pm 
Junior
Junior

Pounder,

Wisconsin will always be a bigger rival than Iowa to Minnesota. There is a simple reason to this: hockey.

Nebraska and Missouri are probably better choices for the Big Ten, but would either of them leave the Big XII and the strong South division? I think Iowa State would.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next