NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

Ok, I've listened to the ECU and UMass fanboys, Notre Dame bashers, and made arguments myself for UCF and Memphis as 9th football only members. Everyone make your pitch for the one best school, both realistic and that brings something to the table for the league other than being a warm body.

I'll go first: TCU (yes Texas Christian University).

Here's why.

1. Huge media market - #5 TV market
2. BCS street cred. MWC added them to be a BCS buster. Haven't done so yet, but always a threat.
3. Great recruiting area that would benefit all conference members.
4. Could find a home for hoops and other sports in the Missouri Valley. Big East could help this by agreeing to a package of home and homes in hoops and other sports.
5. Potential Bowl tie in at the Fort Worth Bowl, and possibly the Cotton.
6. Travel would be no worse for TCU than current MWC deal.

OK, your turn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

That's what the Mountain West thought when they added TCU. Google "the mtn" and tell me how that's gone.

TEXAS is the school in the Dallas market, even if they're not in the Dallas market. Kind of silly how that works, no?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:15 pm 
Junior
Junior

Pounder wrote:
That's what the Mountain West thought when they added TCU. Google "the mtn" and tell me how that's gone.

TEXAS is the school in the Dallas market, even if they're not in the Dallas market. Kind of silly how that works, no?

No question that UT is the number one school in the Dallas market. That's the nature of the state flagships. Unfortunately for the BE, there aren't many of those around that are not already in a BCS conference. (I believe Utah is the largest state without a BCS conf member). Louisville, Cincy, USF and Pitt all live in the shadow of state flagships. Hopefully, though, some folks in Florida and Ohio are watching Big East games who never cared before.

The Big East strategy from the beginning in the 70's has been to pick members in large TV markets. These schools are frequently overshadowed by pro teams, but have a niche. TCU would give the BE a niche in Dallas.

Unlike the MWC, the BE is not looking to form its own regional sports network. Rather, it seeks to have its games carried on ESPN and through ESPN Regional on local stations and existing RSN's. This is a much lower barrier to clear than the Mountain.

Anyway, still looking for alternative suggestions with good arguments.