NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:
USnews ranking of undergraduate schools is certainly not a great measure for a research university.

Agree per research and endowments. I suggest the data from the Center for Measuring University Performance at Arizona State. They have a 2011 study with prior years. Another good source is the National Science Foundation, but their last published figures on this that could be found are from 2008.

The MUP's control rankings on conclusions such as total research expenditures looks fairly consistent with NSF listings. Of course content is impacted by factors such as dates given and variations in measuring criteria.

Using SEC schools as an example on research expenditures in control rankings, one would see such measures, compared nationally, yielding Texas A&M (13), Fla. (15), Vandy (15), Kentucky (27), UGA (32), LSU (45), Mizzou (52), Miss. St. (58), Tenn. (65), So. Car. (67), Auburn (77), Ark. (95), Univ. Miss. (137)
* Univ. Alabama-Tuscaloosa doesn't register or was not reported. However, UAB (has reputable medical school) (22), and Alabama-Huntsville (w/science) (149).

Certain Universities such as Nebraska, PSU, Tenn., etc., have administratively separate medical schools, thus such figures are treated as institutions unto themselves.

While SEC research rankings, as others, vary some as to what criteria is measured, comparisons across the board are revealing and do offer some suprises as to certain general impressions. Texas A&M, Fla., Vandy are leading. Mizzou, UGA, Kentucky, Miss. St., So. Car., and Tenn. are consistently in top 100 on given measures. LSU appears to fluctuate considerably depending on criteria measured. Auburn (who has both an engineering & Vet. school), Arkansas, Ole Miss., and 'Bama (main campus), certainly appear comparatively less focused with research endeavors.

http://mup.asu.edu/research.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN blog article with Maryland/ACC lawsuit update at http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/5 ... ilblog-112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

It was around this moment when West Virginia message board trolls and the Big Ten schemers collectively gasped, then sighed "oh, s***."

The ACC syncs a GOR agreement to its media deals.

Wow. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/042213aaa.html

WOW, didn't see that coming.

Hey FSU, you won't sign a $50 million exit fee but you will sign a GOR's worth much more.

I'm wondering how much this cost ESPN and when we will hear an announcement of a ACC Network.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE WITHOUT MORE MONEY.

excuse me, I may be getting sick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Notre Dame's new playpen is now more secure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Orlando Sentinel article discussing ACC grants of rights

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 57931.post

2 quotes from FSU president Barron

Barron said he couldn't speak to the amount of revenue FSU and other programs would be receiving, but he said it was "a significant increase."

and there will be a ACC Network

"will be an ACC Network that helps further our brand and also adds resources."

Now the question, what's significant?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am 
Senior
Senior

Don't remember who said I'd be eating crow but I got a big plateful for them

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article from Sports Business Daily Journal with a winners & losers take on the ACC's new GoR.

FSU & GT were conference leaders in pushing the G0R?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-B ... tter%22%7D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Charlotte discussing new ACC bowl lineup at http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... t-for.html

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am 
All-Star
All-Star

With the new playoff system under hand starting in 2014, I expect some unique but interesting changes. But before that would had happened, the BCS should have added more bowls in the roster, like the Peach Bowl and Cotton Bowl, which have been very popular in terms of tradition and competition. The Fiesta Bowl was once home of the WAC champion (now that the WAC is out of the FBS level), and the Cotton Bowl was once home of the Southwest champion (now the conference has been defunct since 1996). However, if the playoff system would keep in tact, at least in the future it should expand upto at least 16 teams, all related with the Top 25 in the BCS standings and all FBS conference tournament champions should have automatic eligibility bids, plus some at-large teams based on those national rankings.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article discussing new ACC bowl lineup possibilities at http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Posted on the B1G forum as well...it's not a matter of if Johns Hopkins joins a conference for its men's lacrosse, but where.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Posted on the B1G forum as well...it's not a matter of if Johns Hopkins joins a conference for its men's lacrosse, but where.

I doubt the ACC will invite JHU. For almost 50 years, the ACC was happy having only 4 schools play men's lacrosse, and not getting an autobid. They'll be content with 5 men's teams, and 3 or 4 at-large bids to the NCAA tourney.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

JeffConn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

I doubt the ACC will invite JHU. For almost 50 years, the ACC was happy having only 4 schools play men's lacrosse, and not getting an autobid. They'll be content with 5 men's teams, and 3 or 4 at-large bids to the NCAA tourney.

I don't know, JC. It looks like LAX is taking on some of the aspects of CFB, with teams positioning themselves into auto-bid conferences. I would think that both the B1G and ACC might want to get to 6 soon, and JHU would be a perfect 6th. That is, of course, if the B1G wants to break with tradition and admit a member for only some sports. The ACC has already done that with ND.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
JeffConn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

I don't know, JC. It looks like LAX is taking on some of the aspects of CFB, with teams positioning themselves into auto-bid conferences. I would think that both the B1G and ACC might want to get to 6 soon, and JHU would be a perfect 6th. That is, of course, if the B1G wants to break with tradition and admit a member for only some sports. The ACC has already done that with ND.

To be fair, they admitted ND as a full member w/o football, its not like they took a fb only. Completely different.

And JHU only plays LAX as D1, rest of their sports are D3, if admitted into the BT/ACC they'd technically be a full D1 member in all D1 sports. Plus I think y'all are forgetting a few things.

JHU is a great institution that both the ACC and Big Ten want to associate with, and while this is wild speculation I'd assume that if invited to the Big Ten JHU would also be invited to the CIC who h would be beneficial for everyone.

Also with the LAX tournament adding more autobids its means there are less at large bids available. Both the BT/ACC and JHU can benefit from a tougher schedule for other at large bids and the autobid if they happen to not make the tourney as an at large (like JHU did this year).

But once again, I think this all comes down to the Big 10, the ACC has been comfortable for years while the BT is just starting up their LAX league. Plus the BT seems to be the easier conference between the two making it the best path for JHU especially when it's still well respected and may give them access/association with the CIC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 68  Next