NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The ACC and Maryland reach an agreement. $31 million. Pay us most of the money you owe me, and we'll let you leave without your legs broken. The Big 10 can break your legs in football. :lol:

http://www.theacc.com/#!/video-detail/V ... CYw2OTeQBy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another release from the ACC (I think the official one) regarding the settlement with UMD.

Win, lose, or draw for whom?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Result is not suprising, only the quick announcement on the heels of the ncaa-power 5 decision. CBSsports says Maryland is the winner because of the BIG money coming. It's 60/40 either way at best. It would have cost Maryland millions more to try to get any of the withheld money released. And Maryland does not pay anything in beyond the withholdings. The simple thing to do for both. Good it's finally over. The parties could have had this kind of deal months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Result is not suprising, only the quick announcement on the heels of the ncaa-power 5 decision. CBSsports says Maryland is the winner because of the BIG money coming. It's 60/40 either way at best. It would have cost Maryland millions more to try to get any of the withheld money released. And Maryland does not pay anything in beyond the withholdings. The simple thing to do for both. Good it's finally over. The parties could have had this kind of deal months ago.

Maryland loses short term, wins long term.

ACC payout was less than 19 million with little growth projected w/o network or expansion.

B1G payout was ~23 million IIRC so they'd likely make up that 30 million in less than a decade...BUT

when you consider the growth potential of the BTN w/ MD/DC NJ/NYC deals plus these new markets just in time for the new big$ TV deal in 2 years, I bet MD the full 30 million back before 2020.

I just wonder if FSU (or any ACC school) can use this as the new defacto buyout number 30 million or ~2 years revenue distribution...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Maryland loses short term, wins long term.

Ultimately, yeah, I can get onboard with that. Over time, the money from the conference is going to pay for its immediate financial losses. It's just a question of how long is "long term."

I still paint them more the loser in this, though, and I don't think the ACC won, either. I thought Maryland had the better case for them, having voted against the increased buyout while questioning the core procedural schema, and having left soon after that increase. Maryland walks out paying more than it probably should have, imo, while also leaving no permanent damage to the ACC in terms of ESPN and other ACC school collusion, or any solid judgement on protocol. Will this outcome delay any attempts to resurrect the shuttered programs?

And, of course, there's the chance nobody from the core of the ACC, including Virginia, ever touches the Terps again, riling some fans and alumni to question what the move really was for, other than to make more money on paper. I still doubt if the move is going to be worthwhile culturally and even academically.

But, it's by no means a win for the ACC. Nearly two years later, they get, what, $8-10m more, a little over half what they claimed they were entitled to? So, what's the real buyout, if the ACC caved? Was suing really worth it, considering UMD could have been on board giving $20-25m had all things ended amicably? That procedural shift sure looks a bit more punitive now.

Quote:
I just wonder if FSU (or any ACC school) can use this as the new defacto buyout number 30 million or ~2 years revenue distribution...

The GoR complicates that, as FSU did commit. For anyone other than FSU, I doubt the value comes down...because they voted for the increased buyout. Their leverage wouldn't be the same as Maryland's, I'd suspect.

If there's still a crack in the ACC dike, it's the network, or even that first look-in window. I really doubt ACC legal can withstand schools going after Swofford's lack of prowess in media negotiations. It was in good faith some of the schools were willing to take a bum deal like that...Swofford has to make good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Maryland wins

Long term B1G willing survive, ACC may or may not now you can set your plans in motion without worries of your conference mates dumping you at the alter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Gemofthehills wrote:
Maryland wins

I guess I'm a bit more skeptical than that. I want to see Byrd and the XFinity Center sell out and for other Big Ten venues to sell out when the Terps visit. Tradition doesn't just happen, and people from the original ten schools aren't necessarily going to warm up to these guys just because they wear a Big Ten patch like the others. Certain fanbases still shrug at Penn State...the history isn't there yet.

Maryland hoops fans aren't going to consider PSU their rival, but probably Indiana, Michigan, and Michigan State...who's fans might not really care as much as UMD's. Rutgers has their sites on PSU...I doubt Nittany Lion fans give a crap. Heck, to me, it's just Temple in a lighter shade of red and a "R" on the helmet rather than a "T."

I think Maryland could have departed under better terms, but chose a swift and deceitful path. It's one thing to slam NDA's on your BoT members, but to ignore the phone calls or even just keeping Swofford and other schools out of the discussion altogether. Maybe the ACC wasn't making much of a financial case for Maryland to stay, but it wasn't like UMD wasn't a profitable department. It just suffered massive mismanagement...that's unfortunately continued with Dr. Loh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Notre Dame news of an academic scandal involving athletes. UNC has got some company now.
No need for them to worry. The NCAA protects the most arrogant ones.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)discussing ACC tv Network situation at http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-b ... 92826.post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Blog article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)discussing ACC tv Network situation at http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-b ... 92826.post" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It almost reads like the ACC sees itself as safe until 2027-2030. I'll be curious if they remain at the current lineup until 2018.

The way the whole UMD/Louisville swap went down, you'd swear the ACC didn't lose a thing by it. I have a tough time believing an ACC with Maryland rather than Louisville would be in this situation. I think between Maryland and Florida State, and maybe Clemson, those three could have forced Swofford to get this network done on the air now, or force the conference to have him step down. And maybe that's it...maybe Maryland saw the writing on the wall that nobody other than them saw how Swofford did this network business as terribly as they did. It might be that the majority of the ACC schools, the core ones included, have no wherewithal for how this revenue stuff happens. They expand before others, but don't have an understanding of what it takes to get to their target (more money and media demands).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Good point. Taking the lead in expanding and gutting the old BE, and then fail to have a network plan, suggests leadership that's made questionable decisions, including poor timing on the economic front. By not paying attention early enough to what was happening at Maryland, plus the slower negotiatng efforts with ESPN, it just did not appear the ACC was showing focus and urgency on what really mattered the most. But the ACC has expended much energy in doing damage control as to the UNC scandal, and kissing up to ND brass. The ACC portrayed the settlement from the extortion-laden lawsuit with Maryland as amiable, following months of unprecidented nastiness. This conference is set-up for more conflict to come, given the diversity of interests and long practices of favoritism functioning from within.

Concur. Keeping Maryland would have been much more in the strategic interests of the ACC over the pursuit of partially committed ND with unique accommodations. That ACC misstep certainly impacted a B1G decision. While Louisville is a replacement and has been on a run in sports success, charter member Maryland was very strategically located for the ACC, had the well-established rivalries within the conference, and possessed the academic and flagship profile that is so valued in major conferences.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think Swofford doesn't have a clue as to how to do his job. And I think a lot of the schools in that conference don't have a clue as to how to run an athletic department, or understand the current athletic landscape. I still harp on how they miffed lacrosse, a sport the conference practically owns, and how either getting back into the Beltway with Hopkins (it's going to come out at some point they wanted to be there more than the B1G, you watch), or just getting to six and the AQ would have given the conference added leverage to renegotiate something in their media contracts to squeeze some kind of added revenue from it. And they blew even that.

Their footprint simply can't be topped, and yet, you'd swear a conference that gutted the "mighty" Big East would have had something more up their sleeve than just their name to be able to do that. Maybe that's another clue...maybe it was always a mistake doing business with the likes of Miami, VT, BC, and now 'Cuse, Pitt, Ville, and the northern Indiana mooch school. Those guys didn't have a clue, and that's about half the conference!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I think Swofford doesn't have a clue as to how to do his job. And I think a lot of the schools in that conference don't have a clue as to how to run an athletic department, or understand the current athletic landscape. I still harp on how they miffed lacrosse, a sport the conference practically owns, and how either getting back into the Beltway with Hopkins (it's going to come out at some point they wanted to be there more than the B1G, you watch), or just getting to six and the AQ would have given the conference added leverage to renegotiate something in their media contracts to squeeze some kind of added revenue from it. And they blew even that.

Their footprint simply can't be topped, and yet, you'd swear a conference that gutted the "mighty" Big East would have had something more up their sleeve than just their name to be able to do that. Maybe that's another clue...maybe it was always a mistake doing business with the likes of Miami, VT, BC, and now 'Cuse, Pitt, Ville, and the northern Indiana mooch school. Those guys didn't have a clue, and that's about half the conference!

I can't agree more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I think the lawsuit was a draw. Maryland got out for less than the stated amount. The ACC got more than the previous amount.

The ACC chose to invest in a "digital network." I'm not sure what the ROI is or even if there is any profit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I think Swofford doesn't have a clue as to how to do his job.

You, Muskie, and Wolfman may find this (by Joe Giglio of The Charlotte Observer, 10/09/2014) interesting:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/09/ ... s-jab.html

NC Coach Doeren is not happy with Swofford's conference scheduling.

Finally, is this a school in North Carolina getting outspoken on conference governance?

Not to read too much into it, but it could eventually add to the political and financial interests in Charlotte and Raleigh seeing new future opportunities beyond the ACC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71  Next