NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:59 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 65  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It's this sort of thing that makes me excited for UMD "reuniting" with PSU. UMD deserves better than to have to put up with the circus they run down in Carolina. EVERY conference should comprise of schools who 100% want to be and stay there. That the ACC have these less-committed schools, then pull this half-assed buyout increase to essentially "lock in" troublemakers is beyond me. It's the ONE thing I respect the Big XII in doing: putting an ultimatum on malcontents to align or go. They may be weaker now, but they've got schools who want to be there. That isn't true of the ACC by a long country mile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:08 am 
Senior
Senior

Am I the only who thinks that FSU may be taking a shot at ESPN to up ACC cash.

Hey ESPN, we are having high level talks with another conference who might be negotiating with FOX, hint, hint.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ACC got a "look-in" with ESPN after adding Pitt and Syracuse.

Will they be due for another when adding Notre Dame (not sure who will control TV rights for those 5 ACC games), and Louisville replacement of Maryland ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
ACC got a "look-in" with ESPN after adding Pitt and Syracuse.

Will they be due for another when adding Notre Dame (not sure who will control TV rights for those 5 ACC games), and Louisville replacement of Maryland ?

When at ND, NBC will control them, when at an ACC fb school ESPN will...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:

Yes. ESPN even stated the acquisition of Notre Dame's olympic sports and the football arrangement would automatically qualify for a renegotiation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:07 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Now with the "new Big East" (Catholic-7) planning to start its debut effectively for the 2013-14 season, it should be more obvious for Notre Dame to join the ACC for the upcoming season than the school has originally planned. It would be pointless for the Irish to temporarily be in the "new Big East" for only one season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Somewhat close to Charlotte as the crow flies, and heard some crackling sports chatter on radio, but was driving in a rural area and am unable to identify the speaker or show that was not local.

Basically, (but allegedly, because I could not find any confirmation on it), the ACC is considering a pro-active move to go 16. The target: Navy. It would involve a commitment for ND to be in an 8 member division that would include Navy; or play the 7 other division members plus Navy as the regular cross-over. I got the perception it implied all-sports for both.

I know a couple or so on this board chatted/speculated about this a week or two back. It's been sort of an idea since Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC.

I see http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/ca ... alignment/ has a suggestive piece on the idea a day or so ago; but I did not readily find other directly-related commentaries elsewhere.

With the B1G expansion rumors persisting, whether some truth or not, it would seem the ACC would be trying to make proactive measures to enhance security.

Trying for Navy would not be particularly shocking given its location in Maryland, national profile, and fb ties with ND. However, the ACC getting ND to commit to essentially just two more ACC fb games, and essentially become an ACC fb member as well, would be the shocker. Even if ND could continue with their own home fb games TV contract, just the idea of not being independent in fb would be too much for them to accept. There would have to be unsatisfactory options otherwise and elsewhere, for ND to remain independent if a number of ACC schools left the conference.

If Swofford has not at least explored the idea, that would be shocking too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Somewhat close to Charlotte as the crow flies, and heard some crackling sports chatter on radio, but was driving in a rural area and am unable to identify the speaker or show that was not local.

Basically, (but allegedly, because I could not find any confirmation on it), the ACC is considering a pro-active move to go 16. The target: Navy. It would involve a commitment for ND to be in an 8 member division that would include Navy; or play the 7 other division members plus Navy as the regular cross-over. I got the perception it implied all-sports for both.

I know a couple or so on this board chatted/speculated about this a week or two back. It's been sort of an idea since Maryland announced they were leaving the ACC.

I see http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/ca ... alignment/ has a suggestive piece on the idea a day or so ago; but I did not readily find other directly-related commentaries elsewhere.

With the B1G expansion rumors persisting, whether some truth or not, it would seem the ACC would be trying to make proactive measures to enhance security.

Trying for Navy would not be particularly shocking given its location in Maryland, national profile, and fb ties with ND. However, the ACC getting ND to commit to essentially just two more ACC fb games, and essentially become an ACC fb member as well, would be the shocker. Even if ND could continue with their own home fb games TV contract, just the idea of not being independent in fb would be too much for them to accept. There would have to be unsatisfactory options otherwise and elsewhere, for ND to remain independent if a number of ACC schools left the conference.

If Swofford has not at least explored the idea, that would be shocking too.

This rumor has been out there for awhile now, add Navyfb as #15fb and UConn as #16 all sports and go North/South.

ACC North- UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, ND/Navy, Lville, VPI, UVA/Mia (possibly switch UVA/Miami)
ACC South- UNC, NCSU, Duke, WF, Clem, GT, FSU, Miami/UVA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
This rumor has been out there for awhile now, add Navyfb as #15fb and UConn as #16 all sports and go North/South.

ACC North- UConn, BC, Cuse, Pitt, ND/Navy, Lville, VPI, UVA/Mia (possibly switch UVA/Miami)

Love the division format as the rumors expected. But how about Army (for football only), Cincinnati and South Florida as aspiring members of the ACC? And I believe that Miami is purely South just as Virginia is purely North. And in case Villanova plans to upgrade to FBS status, it'll be a great member for the ACC on football only, while maintaining as an all-sports non-football full member within the Catholic-7-ish Big East.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

Love the division format as the rumors expected. But how about Army (for football only), Cincinnati and South Florida as aspiring members of the ACC? And I believe that Miami is purely South just as Virginia is purely North. And in case Villanova plans to upgrade to FBS status, it'll be a great member for the ACC on football only, while maintaining as an all-sports non-football full member within the Catholic-7-ish Big East.

The swapping of UVA/Miami has more to do with tradition and history. While we call it North and South you could also call it old ACC and old Big East. UVA has tons of history with all the Southern schools especially UNC, and Miami has more history with the North. They'd need a rivalry game so that UVA/VPI Miami/FSU always play but otherwise it works.

Villanova has given up its FBS dream and is now going to focus on their new bball league, plus I doubt Lville, Syracuse, Pitt feel inclined to help them get into the ACC since they blocked them from getting in the Big East.

Army said no to the Big East/A12 because they were afraid of the competetion, no way they join the ACC.

Cincy is the only other candidate if they want a fb playing all sports member other than UConn.

USF is the next choice after Cincy/UConn but has no chance of getting in unless they loses either FSU or Miami.

And the only other option would be Temple but they are clearly last in line.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

That means that only Villanova, Georgetown and Dayton will be the only members of the Catholic-7 "New Big East" who has a football program.

tkalmus wrote:
Army said no to the Big East/A12 because they were afraid of the competetion, no way they join the ACC.

Then the same should apply for Navy as well. After all, both Army and Navy are like "brothers" when it comes to competition to most sports.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
That means that only Villanova, Georgetown and Dayton will be the only members of the Catholic-7 "New Big East" who has a football program.

tkalmus wrote:

Then the same should apply for Navy as well. After all, both Army and Navy are like "brothers" when it comes to competition to most sports.

Navy said yes to the fb Big East/A12 so its not the same...

Butler and Dayton play non-scholarship fb in the Pioneer League. Georgetown is fb only in the Patriot League and if the CAA falls apart I could see Nova joining along with Richmond as fb onlys in addition to William and Mary joiing as a full member.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
Navy said yes to the fb Big East/A12 so its not the same...

I was referring about Navy planning to join the ACC in THAT perspective, not only just in the fb-Big East/A-12.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

It's going to take a lot of convincing to get Navy to understand they are that attractive a candidate for a major conference. And the ACC should go for their full athletic membership, no matter how awful the hoops are. The other ollies and football are well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:11 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It's going to take a lot of convincing to get Navy to understand they are that attractive a candidate for a major conference. And the ACC should go for their full athletic membership, no matter how awful the hoops are. The other ollies and football are well worth it.

True, but the same should go for Army if Navy should attempt to join the ACC, regardless of how successful or awful some of its sports programs, but also the athletics program overall in general.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 65  Next