NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
FSU lost its administrative ACC apologist, and I doubt the faculty will sway the boosters and other administrators who know the SEC will fetch them everything they always thought they were worth. The ACC needs a network, like, yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I thought the ACC sold all of its 3rd party rights to ESPN when they renegotiated their contract a few years back.

IMO ESPN doesn't want another channel (its still rolling out the LHN and the SECN) and even if they did start one for the ACC I'm not sure how the ACC expects any money from said channel (unless ESPN said if we make a channel we can renegotiate, then I really dont understand why ESPN would do it) when it no longer owns its rights (ESPN bought UT and the SEC's separate from their other TV deal's for 1st/2nd tier rights).

Yeah, Swofford went and sold them, which brought on that speculation that FSU was going to the Big XII, as well as Swofford needing to "court" FSU and one of the Virginia schools when the GoR came around, because they didn't like the money or care for the way the business was conducted. The understanding was, IIRC, that the content was a gesture of good faith for a better, assumed future stand-alone network. As of now, this is what they've got. No word on that "stand-alone" thing yet.

Clearly, ESPN is driving this ship, and the ACC commissioner did what he had to do to keep the properties in place. The longer this thing goes without that stand-alone product, the more ground some of these schools have to go after the conference, but just ask Maryland how that's going for them, be they in the right or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Streaming channels and A La Carte.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Now this....

That proposed scheduling agreement between the ACC and the SEC have a lot of problems to work out if it is to materialize.
The 8-1 idea is there with both.
The SEC could do it but the idea has to get support by a few schools in the SEC-west such as Alabama, Arkansas, Texas A&M and LSU. While some in the SEC have permanent ACC in-state rivals, the others would have less appealing options, either permanent or by rotation. BC and Syracuse, for example, don't make appealing regular rivals for SEC west types.
In the ACC, BC and Syracuse have their own agendas to move to a 9 conference game format. Then, dealing with the Notre Dame factor makes for more scheduling issues.
There's the claim that 9 conference games increases the amount of games for ESPN/new conference networks. But they should be able to incorporate such as part of the itinerary particularly if there is the same parent network.

For the SEC, I'd rather them inject a policy if they maintain the 8 conference game format, to seek to have all members have one designated OOC power-5 type as part of each school's regular season schedule. For those whereby this is a challenge to find, then they could be part of the pool to coop with the ACC. Basically it would not be top to bottom with the ACC, but substantial.
It's Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU and Ole Miss that (1) do not have an available in-state power rival outside of in-conference and/or (2) do not have a sustained power 5 rival out-of-state that is OOC. Texas A&M and Mizzou could be included in the list if games with their former, prime historical rivals (in B12) could not be renewed.
For as many as 8 of the 14 SEC schools, it is natural to have a power five rival that is OOC. Of those 8, 4 have them established with in-state ACC schools. Another (Vandy) has one regularly with an out-of-state ACC school. For Tenn. doing something with VPI or UNC could be practical. Miami could be plausible with Auburn/Alabama. Some SEC school may be willing to play UVA or Pitt regularly and visa versa.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thinking along those lines:

You must note the Big XII currently plays a 9-game round robin, so if any of those schools were to play a 10th game against a P5 school,
then certainly their 11th and 12th games would need to be cakey.

I could see:
Pitt -WVU
Mizzou- Kansas
BC - Notre Dame (the Catholic champinship every year)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Thinking along those lines:

You must note the Big XII currently plays a 9-game round robin, so if any of those schools were to play a 10th game against a P5 school,
then certainly their 11th and 12th games would need to be cakey.

I could see:
Pitt -WVU
Mizzou- Kansas
BC - Notre Dame (the Catholic champinship every year)

I know the 2013 season and the Chick-Fil-A Bowl this year may have been a randomly awesome year for Duke, but if Texas and Texas A&M don't reconcile (which is what it looks like) and Duke maintains their upward direction, I wouldn't mind a Texas A&M-Duke rivalry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Washington Post blog article(previously posted in another thread)with update on Maryland/ACC exit fee lawsuit at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... t-analysis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maryland is like Moses exclaiming 'let my people go!'

The ACC got hit with the first plague: Maryland going. The other nine, in no particular order, shall be: (2) SEC expansion, (3) The B1G again, (4) no scheduling agreement with the SEC, (5) a proposed ACC network ESPN values way less than the ACC wants, (6) sub-par football attendance, (7) someone figuring out their basketball gets comparatively way over-rated, while FSU and Clemson are carrying them with fb, as to attendance and revenue generated which creates new demands the rest of the conference refuses to meet, (8) the ACC's Big Apple investment goes rotten, (9) UNC's new Samoan Studies program is found to be all fraud, but is ranked #1 by US News & World Report, and (10) those charming and clever clergy at Notre Dame continue to outsmart Swofford's negotiating, financial, and planning teams, on each front until the point every part of the ACC is subservient to ND's whims.

OK, being a little cynical here, but settle the dang lawsuit and move on. Even if the ACC largely prevails which is doubtful, the ACC's public relations image shall be further tarnished the longer the hostile legal disputes go on. If Maryland is leaving 'Utopia' as the ACC presents themselves, then it is Maryland's ill-fated decision and Maryland's consequences. On the other hand, if the ACC is a bunch of rats p'd off because they lost one of their bags of grain in the barn that is carried off by one of their own to a more attractive barn, the ACC shouldn't be entitled to payment for five fresh new bags in return.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Washington Post blog article reporting that the court has appointed a mediator in the ACC/Maryland exit fee lawsuit at http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... feafdd1394

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The ACC scheduling format appears that 8 conference games shall remain the norm along with the Notre Dame rotation as an OOC game. A 'ninth' game shall be expected from among the power 5 that would be inclusive of the option to schedule an additional game from the other ACC division but treated as an OOC game in terms of standings. An ACC school that has Notre Dame on the schedule as rotation, may use it to satisfy that ninth 'power five' game.

Here is an update on the discussion from Amelia Island, FL reported by WTVD-TV of Raleigh-Durham on May 14, 2014:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?secti ... d=10930219

This is NOT the same as the SEC solution. The SEC says 8 conference games: 6 divisional, 1 permanent cross-over, and 1 rotating cross-over. Plus, each SEC school will be expected to schedule at least one game with a school in ANOTHER power 5 conference. That helps address those SEC schools who have to play in-state rivalry games each year that are OOCs'.

Where the ACC proposed model still has an inequity factor is with regard to FSU, Clemson, GT, and Louisville, who will still have those in-state annual games with SEC schools even when Notre Dame is on their scheduled rotation. But, as noted in the article, what the ACC adapts could allow, for example, NC State and Duke who are 35 miles apart, play each other more frequently, sometimes as an OOC designation.

It is evident schools such as Syracuse and BC in the ACC are speaking up as to their interests and agendas. The Miami AD mentioned SEC schools have no desire to schedule Miami.

As the ACC was so enthusiastic to bring in Notre Dame in a new 'special deal' for the Irish, one wonders if the ACC really thought through all the fb scheduling implications beforehand? The ACC is going to have even more pronounced 'factions' as new issues arise. It's going to be two or three of those more 'southern' schools in the conference that carry the ACC in fb wins and revenue, that could show new and the greater frustrations in the not so distant future. FSU--what payoff did you receive for signing that GoR?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sec03--I believe the controversy over scheduling is indicative of an over-reaching problem within the ACC. The interests of individual schools with the conference are so diverse that it is nearly impossible for those 15 members to agree upon anything. There are so many factions and varying interests--you have a southern block--Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT (who sometimes sides with Tobacco Rd), VT and Louisville; Tobacco Road--UNC Duke, UNC, NC St, WF, and UVA; the Northeasterners--BC, Pitt, Cuse; and then Notre Dame has an agenda all their own. The only real remedy for the problem would be for the Big Ten and SEC a total of 10 members from the league. 10 votes would allow the ACC to disband and for the member schools to all move on. However getting Delany and Slive to work together to dismantle the ACC would be a touch task.

Last edited by fighting muskie on Wed May 14, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Perhaps the ACC could resolve their situation by switching Notre Dame's 5 rotating opponents to OOC rivalry games against those who truly want to play Notre Dame.

Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Miami, one other could play Notre Dame as their OOC "power 5 equivalent" 9th game each year.
I think those teams have a history with Notre Dame.

This would free up:
Ga Tech - Georgia
FSU - Florida
Clemson - SC
Louisville - Kentucky

You get the idea.....

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Perhaps the ACC could resolve their situation by switching Notre Dame's 5 rotating opponents to OOC rivalry games against those who truly want to play Notre Dame.

Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Miami, one other could play Notre Dame as their OOC "power 5 equivalent" 9th game each year.
I think those teams have a history with Notre Dame.

This would free up:
Ga Tech - Georgia
FSU - Florida
Clemson - SC
Louisville - Kentucky

You get the idea.....

I've thought about that and have assumed the ACC has talked about it behind closed doors. Those schools you mentioned I expect would love it.
In order to get the votes to accept ND in the ACC for other sports, each ACC member wanted a turn at playing ND at least on a rotating basis in fb as a condition. But a given school cannot have it both ways when it comes to scheduling.

Using Clemson as a case situation, I recall, at the time, Clemson's fb HC, Dabo Swinney praising the opportunity to schedule ND and exclaiming essentially what an honor it would be for Clemson. Long before Swinney arrived on the scene, Clemson had lost at home to ND 17-21 ('77) and won at South Bend 16-10 ('79). At the time of Swinney delivering his perspective, Clemson, I believe, was ranked well above ND. My thought was, why was he not addressing such in terms of Notre Dame gets to play Clemson rather what appeared to be fawning over the ND? Anyway, Clemson shouldn't be complaining about having to play South Carolina when ND is scheduled, as well as what may reduce the opportunities to play nearby Georgia that has become infrequent.

IMO, the ACC should have injected a clause in the contract with ND that the arrangement applies for ten to fifteen years maximum, at which time ND must join the ACC in all sports or formally leave the conference entirely. ND probably would have rejected that, and perhaps instead, took Deloss Dodds' offer regarding doing something with the B12.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
sec03--I believe the controversy over scheduling is indicative of an over-reaching problem within the ACC. The interests of individual schools with the conference are so diverse that it is nearly impossible for those 15 members to agree upon anything. There are so many factions and varying interests--you have a southern block--Miami, FSU, Clemson, GT (who sometimes sides with Tobacco Rd), VT and Louisville; Tobacco Road--UNC Duke, UNC, NC St, WF, and UVA; the Northeasterners--BC, Pitt, Cuse; and then Notre Dame has an agenda all their own. The only real remedy for the problem would be for the Big Ten and SEC a total of 10 members from the league. 10 votes would allow the ACC to disband and for the member schools to all move on. However getting Delany and Slive to work together to dismantle the ACC would be a touch task.

I certainly agree the ACC has an over-reaching problem. Good point about diversity as well.

I do think, for now, given the promises Swofford has sold (ACC network, bowl deals, etc.) and the yearning to retain tradition among some of the ACC old timers, that most of the members really want to hang together. Some know there is no place to go that's better for them. For a few of the members, it is wait and see from matters such as the outcome with the Maryland lawsuit, to seeing if the GoR keeps solidarity and hope it makes for better TV deals in comparison with the other power conferences.

I do think Slive and Delany work together and agree on a lot of things. In terms of the last expansion, both were on separate pages about it. Both took B12 schools, the B1G first with Nebraska, the SEC with Texas A&M and Mizzou. The SEC still had two more schools than the B1G, which was probably a factor in the B1G making further expansion at the time and turning their attention to the eastern seaboard. The B1G explored a desire to go even beyond 14, eyeing the ACC's AAU public universities. That got the SEC's attention in making their own overtures (the UNC w/Duke stuff) to certain ACC schools just in case. The problem got down to interests in basically the same schools--UNC, UVA, (GT for the B1G), etc. as a matter of turf. Had the B1G agreed and accepted on FSU as a start, I believe that could have broken the ACC before the GoR. Then GT could have fallen to them.
Starting with Maryland is logical, but going after the core of UNC and UVA as a priority forced the circle of wagons quickly.

If a school really does not want to leave, it gets down to keep making increasing financial offers. Those four schools that left the B12 all were all in the mindset to leave. To extract further from the ACC, if the GoR can ever be overcome, maybe first court the ones that really want to hear your offers, and that the conference would find acceptable.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:18 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Ultimately, I don't see the ACC or Big 12 existing as major conferences in 20 years. Slive and Delany are eventually going to reach a compromise on how to divide the spoils in the ACC. I think part of that compromise will be that each league takes more members than they originally bargained for in order to assure the collapse of the ACC so it doesn't linger on the way the Big East did for almost a decade after it's most desirable programs had been striped. The future of college sports, for better or worse is television money. Removing a few strategic pieces from the ACC will cause it to crumble and I think the SEC schools that have been objecting to the additions to their instate, ACC rivals will eventually see that without those southern anchor schools the ACC has very little television value. If the SEC takes 6 schools and the Big ten simultaneously invites 5, including Notre Dame, that's enough votes to disband even if the Irish want to maintain the status quo. The SEC should let the Big Ten take UVA and UNC--NC St and VT are better cultural fits in their league any way.

The Big 12 is similarly doomed. Texas has created the same problem in the Big 12 that the SWC had--the league is too small and doesn't have enough elite programs to compete for television revenue as the other elite leagues. If the Big Ten and SEC work in tandem to dismantle the ACC, I think it will force Texas To negotiate with the PAC 12, bringing them and their retainer schools with them and we will enter an era of having just 3 elite mega-conferences.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

So, uhhh...about that ACC network...

"Several years."

I'm sure the folks in Tallahassee are going to love this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 70  Next