NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 71  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:49 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1574
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
So, uhhh...about that ACC network...

"Several years."

I'm sure the folks in Tallahassee are going to love this...


Had similar thoughts. FSU, knowing they have a national championship team of which they've made heavy investments over many years, and finding out their revenue is continuing to be below par of peers in other conferences, has to be unsettling for them.

FSU did this to themselves though. When former SEC Commissioner Kramer around '90 presented them an offer, FSU rebuffed and opted for the ACC. Their faculty wanted the academic coziness of the ACC and Bobby Bowen wanted an easier route to championships. So instead of battles with Alabama, Tennessee, and Auburn; FSU can enjoy what they have with Wake Forest, BC, and Pitt and now the occasional Notre Dame (who keeps and enhances their own cash cow).

FSU voted against the ACC's extortion fee along with Maryland. Maryland goes, and FSU embraces the G0R. Good luck with those Swofford promises and "we'll consider it" remarks from ESPN.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:06 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1175
sec03 wrote:
FSU did this to themselves though.


Absolutely.

It's speculated the Raycom content piece is part of the problem, and now ACC fans are spinning the "several years" into "it was always 2016-17," which conveniently puts it around the first look-in window, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not buying it for a second, though. FSU was not sold on "in five years, you'll make close to what Florida makes today!"

"Ninja" Swofford? More like "Snake Oil Salesman."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:31 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 183
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:42 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
hibbett2222 wrote:
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


No way! As a devoted FSU Seminoles fan, I refuse that they'll leave the ACC for any other P-4/5 FBS conference, especially to the SEC and/or the Big XII. FSU will remain ACC-bound for the rest of eternity! Plus, the Lady Noles' softball team is at the WCWS while the men's baseball team is on pursuit to the CWS. Also, FSU basketball (men's & women's) having moderate consistency of success, even if no regular season or tournament titles are in its resume (except the 2011-12 season which the Noles' men's hoops team was ranked in the Top 25, and had beaten Duke and UNC at least once on BOTH regular season and tournament play; very historical in my book). However, I don't wanna sound like harsh, but I will admit that the challenge for the Noles' football team might be Louisville (even without Teddy Bridgewater), followed by Clemson and Miami. I hope Duke football will repeat as ACC Coastal champs (but undefeated in conference play, just for a top 5-10 ACC title game against FSU; and as long as they remain consistent). To me, I'm not sure if Clemson will remain consistent without Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins; which were their key players from last season.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 183
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


No way! As a devoted FSU Seminoles fan, I refuse that they'll leave the ACC for any other P-4/5 FBS conference, especially to the SEC and/or the Big XII. FSU will remain ACC-bound for the rest of eternity! Plus, the Lady Noles' softball team is at the WCWS while the men's baseball team is on pursuit to the CWS. Also, FSU basketball (men's & women's) having moderate consistency of success, even if no regular season or tournament titles are in its resume (except the 2011-12 season which the Noles' men's hoops team was ranked in the Top 25, and had beaten Duke and UNC at least once on BOTH regular season and tournament play; very historical in my book). However, I don't wanna sound like harsh, but I will admit that the challenge for the Noles' football team might be Louisville (even without Teddy Bridgewater), followed by Clemson and Miami. I hope Duke football will repeat as ACC Coastal champs (but undefeated in conference play, just for a top 5-10 ACC title game against FSU; and as long as they remain consistent). To me, I'm not sure if Clemson will remain consistent without Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins; which were their key players from last season.



I agree with you. No way i see FSU leaving the ACC. There are post all over the Big 12 board talking about many schools leaving the ACC. I disagreed with them as well. I don't see any ACC current school leaving anytime soon. I hope that Duke can keep it rolling. Hope that UNC can improve and compete with Duke for that top spot in their division. But i think that FSU's biggest competition will be Clemson. IDK about UL. Maybe but not convinced yet!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:57 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
hibbett2222 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


No way! As a devoted FSU Seminoles fan, I refuse that they'll leave the ACC for any other P-4/5 FBS conference, especially to the SEC and/or the Big XII. FSU will remain ACC-bound for the rest of eternity! Plus, the Lady Noles' softball team is at the WCWS while the men's baseball team is on pursuit to the CWS. Also, FSU basketball (men's & women's) having moderate consistency of success, even if no regular season or tournament titles are in its resume (except the 2011-12 season which the Noles' men's hoops team was ranked in the Top 25, and had beaten Duke and UNC at least once on BOTH regular season and tournament play; very historical in my book). However, I don't wanna sound like harsh, but I will admit that the challenge for the Noles' football team might be Louisville (even without Teddy Bridgewater), followed by Clemson and Miami. I hope Duke football will repeat as ACC Coastal champs (but undefeated in conference play, just for a top 5-10 ACC title game against FSU; and as long as they remain consistent). To me, I'm not sure if Clemson will remain consistent without Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins; which were their key players from last season.


I agree with you. No way i see FSU leaving the ACC. There are post all over the Big 12 board talking about many schools leaving the ACC. I disagreed with them as well. I don't see any ACC current school leaving anytime soon. I hope that Duke can keep it rolling. Hope that UNC can improve and compete with Duke for that top spot in their division. But i think that FSU's biggest competition will be Clemson. IDK about UL. Maybe but not convinced yet!


At least you agree with me on certain points. But yes! I nearly forgot about UNC, after having 5 straight wins before losing to Duke last season, the Tar Heels might be a Coastal Division title contender too, just like Duke or Miami. A little bit off-topic, but who do you think that the 16th possible member might be?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:03 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 183
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


No way! As a devoted FSU Seminoles fan, I refuse that they'll leave the ACC for any other P-4/5 FBS conference, especially to the SEC and/or the Big XII. FSU will remain ACC-bound for the rest of eternity! Plus, the Lady Noles' softball team is at the WCWS while the men's baseball team is on pursuit to the CWS. Also, FSU basketball (men's & women's) having moderate consistency of success, even if no regular season or tournament titles are in its resume (except the 2011-12 season which the Noles' men's hoops team was ranked in the Top 25, and had beaten Duke and UNC at least once on BOTH regular season and tournament play; very historical in my book). However, I don't wanna sound like harsh, but I will admit that the challenge for the Noles' football team might be Louisville (even without Teddy Bridgewater), followed by Clemson and Miami. I hope Duke football will repeat as ACC Coastal champs (but undefeated in conference play, just for a top 5-10 ACC title game against FSU; and as long as they remain consistent). To me, I'm not sure if Clemson will remain consistent without Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins; which were their key players from last season.


I agree with you. No way i see FSU leaving the ACC. There are post all over the Big 12 board talking about many schools leaving the ACC. I disagreed with them as well. I don't see any ACC current school leaving anytime soon. I hope that Duke can keep it rolling. Hope that UNC can improve and compete with Duke for that top spot in their division. But i think that FSU's biggest competition will be Clemson. IDK about UL. Maybe but not convinced yet!


At least you agree with me on certain points. But yes! I nearly forgot about UNC, after having 5 straight wins before losing to Duke last season, the Tar Heels might be a Coastal Division title contender too, just like Duke or Miami. A little bit off-topic, but who do you think that the 16th possible member might be?



That is a tough one! When it comes to the ACC expanding it is just as important that a school have a successful BB program as FB. With that being the case it limits the number of teams. Cincy and UConn come to mind from the Go5 schools. Don't see the ACC getting anyone from the SEC, or BIG 10. A long shot could be WVU from the Big 12. WVU is all by themselves in the Big 12, so who knows it could happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:09 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1574
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
Lets talk ACC. Everyone is saying that FSU will run away with the conference, do you agree? If not who will be their biggest competition? Will Clemson rebound and take the top spot. How will Duke do (was it a one year wonder last year)? Who you got?


I don't wanna sound like harsh, but I will admit that the challenge for the Noles' football team might be Louisville (even without Teddy Bridgewater), followed by Clemson and Miami. I hope Duke football will repeat as ACC Coastal champs (but undefeated in conference play, just for a top 5-10 ACC title game against FSU; and as long as they remain consistent). To me, I'm not sure if Clemson will remain consistent without Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins; which were their key players from last season.


It's a given that Clemson will at least generally be good. But Clemson has a history of weird games. They can rip-up somebody they are not suppose to beat, while in the same season, lose badly to someone perceived to be much weaker. Translation: very good but unpredictable.

FSU will certainly be the early favorite. However, I don't think they necessarily will have as easy a run as they did last season. Really, there are only about 3 ACC teams that have a real shot at giving FSU a tough challenge.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:15 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
hibbett2222 wrote:
That is a tough one! When it comes to the ACC expanding it is just as important that a school have a successful BB program as FB. With that being the case it limits the number of teams. Cincy and UConn come to mind from the Go5 schools. Don't see the ACC getting anyone from the SEC, or BIG 10. A long shot could be WVU from the Big 12. WVU is all by themselves in the Big 12, so who knows it could happen.


To me, it has to be either Cincy or UConn or West Virginia. However, it might not happen whatsoever with Notre Dame playing the all-sports conference play/football Independet hybrid plan. And West Virginia had the chance to join the ACC for the football program's recent success like a few BCS bowls; but instead, went to the the Big XII and didn't regain that consistent success in just two seasons. Plus, it would bring back rivalries like with Pitt in the Backyard Brawl or with Virginia Tech (both are WVU's closest rival schools). But who knows, especially with conference realignment involved?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:32 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1175
I just have a tough time believing FSU will continually stick with the "corner-cutting" the ACC allows for their football relevancy. It just isn't sustaining itself over there. Can administrators keep dodging that bullet of a conversation and continue to remain within the ACC? If the money component doesn't improve, and fast, I'm not sure the loyalty is long lived.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:09 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 231
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
To me, it has to be either Cincy or UConn or West Virginia


For me, it must be Cincinnati. West Virginia would be a good option, but that bridge will be crossed if and when the XII dissolves. Connecticut doesn't really have a market the ACC would die for unless they include New York, but I would think the ACC probably does okay there as it is. Cincinnati brings a new market (both Cincinnati and Ohio), is competitive in both football and basketball, and has familiarity with the 3 newest ACC members from the Big East and beyond (Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville.)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
To me, it has to be either Cincy or UConn or West Virginia


For me, it must be Cincinnati. West Virginia would be a good option, but that bridge will be crossed if and when the XII dissolves. Connecticut doesn't really have a market the ACC would die for unless they include New York, but I would think the ACC probably does okay there as it is. Cincinnati brings a new market (both Cincinnati and Ohio), is competitive in both football and basketball, and has familiarity with the 3 newest ACC members from the Big East and beyond (Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville.)


I also think the same way. But in the process, the 2 divisions will turn into North and South, with both split into pod-like sessions:

ACC North - Northeast: B.C., Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame
ACC North - Mid-Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, [Cincinnati/W. Virginia/UConn]

ACC South - Carolinas: UNC, Duke, N.C. St., Wake
ACC South - Deep South: Clemson, Ga. Tech, Florida St., Miami

Your thoughts, guys?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:49 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm
Posts: 409
ND is not in the east.

WVU is not joining the ACC until there is a breakup of the B12


UCONN belongs with Pitt Syracuse bc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1056
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
ctx48c wrote:
ND is not in the east.

WVU is not joining the ACC until there is a breakup of the B12

UCONN belongs with Pitt Syracuse bc.


My apologies about that. But you do have a realistic point. Until the Big XII implodes, WVU must be in the ACC eventually. Plus, it would force other P-5 FBS conferences to expand over 16 members. There for, it would be the following:

ACC North - Northeast: B.C., Syracuse, Pitt, [Cincinnati/W. Virginia/UConn]
ACC North - Mid-Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame

ACC South - Carolinas: UNC, Duke, N.C. St., Wake
ACC South - Deep South: Clemson, Ga. Tech, Florida St., Miami

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:50 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1175
Notre Dame sees itself as a northeastern school, though, with southern football recruiting needs.

Now, introducing...the new ACC! Look familiar?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 71  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group