NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:11 am 
Senior
Senior

Notre Dame is in Indiania.ND is partial member of the ACC

If the B12 implodes the B12 leftovers will join with AAC members Cinn,Conn,USF,UCF.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Notre Dame sees itself as a northeastern school, though, with southern football recruiting needs.

Now, introducing...the new ACC! Look familiar?

The designer made an error. On the 'N' overlapping the 'D', they missed placing an asterisk by the initials, with a script at the bottom of the logo reading: *PARTIAL SPORTS MEMBER.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 am 
Senior
Senior

sec03 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Notre Dame sees itself as a northeastern school, though, with southern football recruiting needs.

Now, introducing...the new ACC! Look familiar?

The designer made an error. On the 'N' overlapping the 'D', they missed placing an asterisk by the initials, with a script at the bottom of the logo reading: *PARTIAL SPORTS MEMBER.

Also half-size the -ND- to comparatively reflect ND's official contribution level to the conference.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
ctx48c wrote:
ND is not in the east.

WVU is not joining the ACC until there is a breakup of the B12

UCONN belongs with Pitt Syracuse bc.

My apologies about that. But you do have a realistic point. Until the Big XII implodes, WVU must be in the ACC eventually. Plus, it would force other P-5 FBS conferences to expand over 16 members. There for, it would be the following:

ACC North - Northeast: B.C., Syracuse, Pitt, [Cincinnati/W. Virginia/UConn]
ACC North - Mid-Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Notre Dame

ACC South - Carolinas: UNC, Duke, N.C. St., Wake
ACC South - Deep South: Clemson, Ga. Tech, Florida St., Miami

I find it interesting that you think the ACC would force the other leagues to expand, yet you don't seem to think your league would be the target of their expansion. Maybe you don't think anybody would be willing to leave with the GOR out there, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both the Big 10 and the SEC targeting certain schools in the ACC as their top targets.

All that aside, I like the divisions you created. But I would think you would need a backup plan if your conference were to be raided. Be honest, if the SEC came a calling, do you honestly think FSU or Clemson would say no? It would eliminate any recruiting advantage in state rivals have over you. And the money would be better.

On a side note, I say the following as a Gator fan, but more as a neutral college football fan. In most years. I think FSU is actually more talented than Florida. When the talent is even, Florida crushes FSU. The reason is simple: schedule. FSU doesn't play that many teams that can punch back. If you aren't tested, you don't get better, you stay the same. Be honest, how many teams in the ACC, have anywhere near the talent as FSU. I would say that answer is usually 3 teams. Clemson, Miami, and Va Tech. The SEC is loaded with talented teams. Even the average teams like Mizzou, Tenn (historically), Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy of late, Texas AM are all solid. When the Gators get to FSU they are battle tested, whereas FSU is not. In most years when Florida beats FSU its not because they are more talented, but because they have played against better competition week in and week out. I mean that as no slight to FSU. Believe me, I have a great deal of respect for the Seminoles; I was a fan in the late 80's and early 90's. I would like to see what FSU could be in a better football conference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

@hendu1976fl - No disrespect to your comment, but as a fellow FSU Seminoles fan, I refuse to accept that the 'Noles will leave the ACC just to be another "power-5 football conference" like the SEC or the Big XII. And you're right on certain parts when it comes to talent, especially involving with the FSU-Florida rivalry, which is one of the best in-state non-conference rivalries in D-I FBS history. Besides, I'm no businessman, so obviously I have nothing involved with money issues and stuff to talk or discuss about, just saying.

Speaking of talented teams in the SEC, have you forgotten about Auburn (historically)? The Tigers nearly completed a true most improvement moment by winning the national title this past season. However, they at least converted from a disappointing 3-9 record overall the season before that (with a winless 0-8 in SEC play) to a 11-1 regular season. But if they hadn't lost to LSU at Baton Rouge, it would be truly perfection for a flawless conference-play record. Also, they clinched the SEC West to go to the SEC Championship Game by beating in-state rival and #1 Alabama in front of their War Eagle fans in huge clutch fashion! The Tide were the defending champs and almost were close to be top-ranked in a wire-to-wire basis.

Back to the FSU conversation, I say that FSU will remain in the ACC as long as they want. Plus, their other sports teams had tremendous consistency of success (despite being close to win titles). For instance, the women's soccer team almost won the national title vs. UCLA, but a OT goal against them caused them to have the dreams crushed (which I still think why the OT rules on soccer is like hockey, not like on FIFA soccer, hmmm...) The men's basketball team were in the NIT Final Four, only was close to make into the finals; and women's basketball team was being consistent, despite ending in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney. Most recently, the baseball team has achieved an 8th straight ACC Atlantic Division title, despite losing the top rank and eventually losing in their own Regionals. The softball team had a wonderful season, with some of their players as national award stars, to lead them into the WCWS, even if they fall short to make to the title game. Anything else you wanna ask about FSU success in ACC play, besides football?

P.S.: I doubt that the ACC will get raided so easily quick. However, I still hope that there will be a 16th member for full membership (forcing Notre Dame to play conference games for football, not just giving 5 of 8 as an fb-Indy). However, IF the ACC does get raided, then the other power-5 conferences would go WAY beyond 16, like mostly upto 20 as the max cap.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Latest news related to UNC athletic-academic scandals:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... y-eligible

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:55 pm 
Junior
Junior

This news regarding UNC is not good for the school or the conference. Now it is not been proven to be true yet, but i wouldn't doubt that it is true. There for a long time in the 90's and early 2000's every time that a top player would have their student profile put on the TV screen, almost every single one of them were majoring in African American Studies. I always asked myself (what kind of degree is this)? Well now it appears that it is really not a degree (at least not a real one). This was sometime that was made up for students playing sports to be a easy A. Now i am sure that UNC is not the only school out there that has done or is doing this. They just happen to be the one that has the whisle blowers right now. Once this one runs it's course i am sure we will hear of many more schools that have done this same kind of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:04 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
To me, it has to be either Cincy or UConn or West Virginia

For me, it must be Cincinnati. West Virginia would be a good option, but that bridge will be crossed if and when the XII dissolves. Connecticut doesn't really have a market the ACC would die for unless they include New York, but I would think the ACC probably does okay there as it is. Cincinnati brings a new market (both Cincinnati and Ohio), is competitive in both football and basketball, and has familiarity with the 3 newest ACC members from the Big East and beyond (Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville.)

I also think the same way. But in the process, the 2 divisions will turn into North and South, with both split into pod-like sessions:

ACC North - Northeast: B.C., Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame
ACC North - Mid-Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, [Cincinnati/W. Virginia/UConn]

ACC South - Carolinas: UNC, Duke, N.C. St., Wake
ACC South - Deep South: Clemson, Ga. Tech, Florida St., Miami

Your thoughts, guys?

I like the concept of 4 divisions/pods. I would try to balance them between football, basketball, baseball and geography. Your deep south division is brutal. I have no problem splitting the NC schools.

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, W. Virginia (or Cincinnati)
East: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina
South: Florida State, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest
West: Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech

I would also consider a 4x5 system if the right teams from the B12 were available.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Wolfman wrote:
I like the concept of 4 divisions/pods. I would try to balance them between football, basketball, baseball and geography. Your deep south division is brutal. I have no problem splitting the NC schools.

North: Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, W. Virginia (or Cincinnati)
East: Clemson, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina
South: Florida State, Miami, NC State, Wake Forest
West: Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech

I would also consider a 4x5 system if the right teams from the B12 were available.

Thanks Wolfman. But I don't get the part you said about my "Deep South" section/pod being brutal. You mean brutal as of a tough sub-division? However, I do like your variation about it, which looks unique. Anyways, how would you group each of the 4 pods into 2 solid divisions? And besides, in order for a pure 16-team league to occur, Notre Dame's football must be in ACC conference play, and away from Indy status still.

By the way, I feel curious about this 4x5 system. Do you know any samples? And do you believe that the Big XII will survive (with or without expansion needed)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Hampton Roads(previously posted in another thread)with comments from ACC Commish regarding league finances,possible future ACC tv network,NCAA reform and other issues at http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-b ... 34472.post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 am 
Senior
Senior

It's not hard to figure out why all the ACC schools signed the GoR. None of them, though, pushed for a guarantee of the tangibles upfront beforehand--the power of peer pressure. To the schools that may have been reluctant, Swofford, perhaps, may have been promising that having the GoR would be the leverage to securing an ACC Network that would match-up well with other conference networks.

Now, one may interpret the messages as--'it's coming', 'we're working on it', 'they trying to work out the kinks', 'the timing has to be right'....and the PR blahs.

Could one vision the ACC Presidents acting collectively like a 'little ole lady from Salisbury' buying the last Plymouth off the used car lot for $5,000 more than the Blue Book value and from a salesman with a Cheshire Cat grin wearing a 1970s' powder blue leisure suit--the same one he had on at the disco the night before? No leprechaun with his own hidden pot of gold is going to fix the radiator leak on that Plymouth.

Could ESPN have plans for the ACC before awarding them a secondary-status network?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Watching others making far more money than yourself is going to make things interesting in the ACC if this network doesn't happen sooner rather than later, though.

But, and who knows how this goes, if CCG qualification matters are approved by the NCAA, does the flexibility create something in the ACC that might entice Notre Dame to join as a full member? The ACC will be swimming in money if that happens. Not necessarily nuking the existing contract, but forcing an immediate look-in where those other concessions come back into immediate play?

I try to imagine what it would take to get Notre Dame football fully into a conference. Eight conference games, scheduling autonomy within the conference scheduling, ACC oversight/control of the CCG participants, a potential thirteenth regular season game...I could see that being enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I try to imagine what it would take to get Notre Dame football fully into a conference. Eight conference games, scheduling autonomy within the conference scheduling, ACC oversight/control of the CCG participants, a potential thirteenth regular season game...I could see that being enough.

You come up with some insightful thoughts. They may indeed be moving toward flexibility in scheduling within the conference as a whole. Move in this direction, there is not a need to have divisional football. Pick the two deemed best for the CCG based on W-Ls' and SOSs. The only assurance is to give every member 8 conference games within the total ACC group. The ACC would need to assure reasonable integration in scheduling and come up with a few new rules related to some degree of rotation. If Notre Dame commits for full fb, they essentially pick their 8 as do the others. Constraints would vary as to obvious available dates and mutual interest. The only real drawback it does open their system to more favoritism, but it is not like that behavior is foreign to the ACC. But it could also render the flexibility to allow schools such as FSU and Clemson to have more 'choice' games and retard potential wandering eyes. And ESPN or any other telecasters have the opportunity to generate improved featured games at designated times that are more attractive nationally and regionally. If ND ultimately commits, there's a 16th to add under the G0R.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Notre Dame is so stubborn about their football "independence" that it seems hard to envision them giving in to "enticements".

I think they are seeing the writing on the wall, that the Power 5 conferences are isolating themselves from the rest of FBS,
and so Notre Dame abandoned the sinking Big East ship and got into the Power 5 conference most to their liking (ACC),
and reluctantly agreed to this 5 games per year "scheduling alliance" (or whatever you call it).

I think the writing on the wall says that down the road, the Power 5 people may come up with some football structure that is
predicated on all teams being a member of some conference (basically not bending over backwards to accommodate a weird situation like Notre Dame).
I get the vibe that Notre Dame sees this day coming (they don't know when) and at that time, Notre Dame will decide NOT to be left out in the cold,
and agree to the scheduling standard that applies to other "full member" ACC schools (8 or 9 conference games).
At that time, one would think the conference would expand with a 16th team.

If BYU was ever in the negotiating stage with the Big XII, they really shot themselves in the foot.
It's hard to say when they will get another opportunity to get into a Power 5 conference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I try to imagine what it would take to get Notre Dame football fully into a conference.

Hell freezing over . . . or July 1, 2027, which is the earliest the next major phase of P5 realignment will be complete.

There are only two ways it could happen:
1) Voluntarily, if there were a P conference with a truly national footprint, as this would satisfy ND's need to play football nationwide.
2) Allowing only conference champions to participate in the CFP, which will require the P5 to consolidate to P4.

I expect #2 to happen by July 2027, and possibly #1 also. When ND sees that #2 is inevitable, they will use their considerable influence in attempt to bring about #1. The PAC is the only P5 conference with a realistic chance to achieve a national footprint, so perhaps something like this: Current 12 schools; plus Texas, Kansas, and Iowa State from the Big 12; plus Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Florida State from the ACC = PAC18.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next