NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
TKthunder wrote:
If the ACC added NDfb, WVU and Cincy then they have 6 pretty strong ties to the ACC.

Possible ACC North - BC, Syracuse, ND, Lville, Cincy, Pitt, WVU, VPI

Good point you've shared TK. That might make up a great division. However, it would have happened only if that was like a few years ago, or if Cincinnati (along with Louisville) have joined with West Virginia & TCU to the Big XII for at least last season. That way, Marlyand & Rutgers wouldn't had planned to join the Big TEN.

About 5 years ago, Cincy had a dominant regular season within the AAC (then known as the old Big East) and made it to the Sugar Bowl, despite losing it to Florida. The Bearcats could have won that game and possibly gained some prominence to gain at least a share of a national title because of ending the season unbeaten (despite the BCS title game of Texas & Alabama); and eventually the school would be on the expansion talk within the P-5 conferences like the ACC or the Big XII (the closest leagues for UC) during the realignment.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Prior to Louisville deciding to join the ACC in late 2012 (as well as the 2013 Sugar Bowl and the 2012-13 men's basketball national title run to end the old Big East), what exactly brought or motivated the Cardinals to receive an invite in the first place? And aside from that (as well as basketball), which kinds of success did L'Ville had ever since their 1st trip to a BCS bowl game in 2007?

Louisville was a better option than Cincy or UConn. They spend more on athletics than every other ACC school with figures released, and probably more than all the private schools except maybe ND. All of the basketball and football success made them more appealing to every school, whereas UConn football and Cincy fb and basketball don't have as much success. Even in olympic sports Louisville has more success in. Yes they're a move-up school, but 20 years ago UConn was FCS and Cincy and UL were equals until recently. Louisville managed to become as competitive overall as schools like UNC, FSU, etc. Cincy and UConn haven't.

I'm not so sure UConn would even make the ACC if it went to 16 anyway. From what I gather, BC and 'Cuse would block UConn. But I don't get why WVU isn't in either with the Pitt/Cuse/BC/VT bloc in now unless there are things I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Granted, I think VT's overall value is overstated.

Not to discomfort any Hokie fans, I agree with your statement in relative terms. Paul Finebaum recently expressed that VPI was the hot prospect for the SEC a few years back. But that exploration, if largely true, was in the context of the major expansion activity going on at the time, with the SEC examining the potential for a valued eastern addition within the criteria they had set. While VT could remain a back-burner target for future expansion, the circumstantial aspect to it may shift with time. Also, VT has not appeared, to date, anxious to leave the ACC. Their comfort level in the ACC may only increase, which may not be said about a few of the other ACC schools in the south whom have much longer tenure in the ACC.

It's interesting to see commentaries from places such as Clemson, GT, and NCSU. The levels of passion for the conference is not uniform among its members.

I believe the approach to future expansion in the coming years will change, given the G0Rs'/excessive exit fees and the prior ugly lawsuits. I expect it will be less about unfriendly and post-resistible extractions, and more toward conference-to-conference bargaining to reach a mutual deal. That does not imply school swops necessarily, rather it would be agreements based more on set monetary transactions, certain proportional shared revenue for a period, scheduling and bowl alliances, and other factors that could be seen as mutually beneficial. The involved broadcasting network(s) will try to not appear as a direct negotiator, but will serve as the primary financial and pressure source to instigate, reach, and backup an agreement. The processes shall be intense, delicate, and complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't know how negotiations will work when the SEC would be expanding its empire and wealth and the already weaker ACC would simply get weaker with each additional member extracted. Unless the tv partners involved are willing to bust up entire conferences and negotiate to get most of the members into new leagues. Any sort of asymmetric conference negotiations that take place only set a precedent that that the stronger conferences (SEC, Big 10, PAC 12) can take from the weaker ones whenever they please.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think ESPN's over-saturation in cfb could have its effect on keeping certain groups "locked in." The ACC showed its teeth and then some with Maryland, so I would have to guess that if the SEC started really lurking around some of its schools, the ACC would sue the SEC, departing school, and ESPN. I really wish the UMD-ACC spat ran long enough to get some of that ESPN and individual school meddling material obtained during discovery out into the public. We'd really know what's going on inside of these meetings, then.

sec03 wrote:
But that exploration, if largely true, was in the context of the major expansion activity going on at the time, with the SEC examining the potential for a valued eastern addition within the criteria they had set.

Tech's got the right location in that state, and it's the school with the t-shirt fans, for sure. There's just not enough of them. Or, not enough of them travel. Heh, in that regard, they're a perfect fit for the ACC. And the SEC may not be willing to accept that kind of issue with potential members. There's no doubt the SEC schools will travel and do so quite well, and that VT's location makes them a logical extension of the conference, but I think the SEC knows *any* school getting the SEC-rub would do wonders for that school. Would it, however, "give back" to the conference? What would VT really give back to the conference? They would seem like a Rutgers-like acquisition...the benefits come from the location, and not the program itself.

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
which kinds of success did L'Ville had ever since their 1st trip to a BCS bowl game in 2007?

Rabid fans. Rabid fans who show up to games and travel. Rabid fans who spend lots of money and give to the program. An amazing AD who knows how to play the game. One of, if not *the* most profitable basketball programs in the country...who may even out-earn some of the low-performing majors on the cfb side. Decent venues. Lucrative location (truly an interesting market). I think that's what Louisville has going for it. A lot of flash, shock and awe, and street smarts. Institutionally? Don't think about that and just look at all of the above.

I don't know if Louisville makes the ACC better comprehensively. I don't know if Jurich is the best thing that will ever happen to them there, and that if he leaves, UL becomes a dumpster. Right now, though, they looked like the school with the smallest risk and the least amount of strikes against them. I think, were it not for UConn's stupid lawsuit, UConn would be UMD's replacement...but, apparently, BC and some others have enough pull to steer that one into the dirt. A conference influenced by non-contributors...where have I heard that one before? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Honestly, I was hoping that UConn would get the "replace Maryland" slot in the ACC,
and that the Big XII would add Louisville and Cincinnati to get to XII and be WVU's neighbors.

I was thinking in terms of geography.

In terms of on-field success, how can you top what Louisville was able to accomplish immediately after being invited into the ACC ?
Winning the Sugear Bowl and Russel Athletic Bowl vs. Florida and Miami, respectively (with Teddy Bridgewater at QB)
Winning the NCAA men's BB tournament (under Pitino)
Finishing 2nd to UConn in NCAA women's BB tournament.

Of course UConn isn't chopped liver, either - defending 2014 NCAA mens AND women's BB champs...

I'm hoping eventually the ACC goes to 16 by adding UConn and Notre Dame football....
Yeah, Notre Dame clings to their FB independence, but I get the feeling they will join the ACC.
5 games / year currently. They'd just have to add 3 more.
They can do that, while keeping Navy, USC, 2 of Stanford /Michigan State / Purdue.
They've already pulled the plug on Michigan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

One may firmly argue that the B1G taking Rutgers and Maryland had less to do with adding athletic prowess, and much more about media and broadcasting enhancements. They took Nebraska instead of Mizzou or without Mizzou. OK, those were their deliberate and calculated decisions. But all that is a minor perplexity compared to how the B12 and the ACC blundered in some of their decisions.
Agree tute79, the B12 could have had Louisville and Cincy along with WVU. That wasn't long-term thinking in their best interest if they had any intention of getting back to 12. And WVU's geographic isolation sticks out like a sore thumb.
UConn was not invited to the ACC because BC has fought against it. Initially, the ACC was thinking about inviting UConn instead of Pitt with Syracuse. Obviously one or more other ACC schools chose not to counter the BC sentiment on this. Also, the more southern ACC schools did not want to contend with another northeast school lacking strong fb emphasis and a loaded fb venue. Thus, Louisville fit the mold in near all dimensions athletically. On the other hand, it was a deviation from the ACC's fondness for schools that are more academically selective. Wasn't that the beef used against WVU? WVU would have gotten into the ACC had it not been for UNC and Duke still holding out against them.

This shall not happen, but it would be good for the ACC to.....
(a) have a full commitment from Notre Dame for fb. ND can only give the ACC 5 games? But, they have plenty of room to do future schedules with Georgia and Texas A&M and others. When ND visited FSU last, it was the FIRST game of the season they actually traveled to an opponent's CAMPUS stadium. Plenty of fine schools, inside and outside the ACC, are most willing to enable.
(b) diminish an ACC school in North Carolina by one. NC State to the SEC would be the thing.
(c) go to 16- full ND, plus UConn and WVU. If the ACC lost another, add Cincy.
(d) divide divisions geographically- north and south. No more fair-haired 'coastal' division
(e) future new leadership may need to come from outside the ACC, particularly outside of UNC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71