NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
tute79 wrote:
So that is 80 total votes.

P5 schools:
ACC (incl. ND) - 15; SEC - 14; Big Ten - 14; Big XII -10; PAC-12 - 12; Total - 65

Maybe conf. commissioners get a vote.

Does anyone in the G5 vote along with them (like perhaps AAC (American) is considering adopting the same rules the P5 intend to set) ?

I think I heard that each power conference had 3 student-athletes in attendance who voted.

There are student reps at large. Vote includes 15 athletic representatives, 3 from each P5 conference in addition to the 65 schools.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... onferences

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

After I read the article, I did see that extra 15 explained as student reps.

THANK YOU guys for responding.

Tute79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

North Carolina and Wake Forest have scheduled each for nonconference games. I read some comments on espn that this isnt the first time something like this has happened but theyre doing it simply because the conference is too large to play each other consistently. Could this be a process that other schools could utilize and conferences could push? A conference may be able to entice schools to join for expansion if this option to play each other annually was on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
North Carolina and Wake Forest have scheduled each for nonconference games. I read some comments on espn that this isnt the first time something like this has happened but theyre doing it simply because the conference is too large to play each other consistently. Could this be a process that other schools could utilize and conferences could push? A conference may be able to entice schools to join for expansion if this option to play each other annually was on the table.

Come to think of it, will this be a new method within each conference (P5 or Go5 alike)? I mean for instance, in 2011, California and Colorado had a non-conference game within the Pac-12; but the date of putting it to reality occurred before Colorado got the invite by the then-Pac-10 in early 2010. So that counted. How about re-instating several rivalries for some home-and-home series as non-conference games, such as the following:

a.) SEC-related:

Alabama-Vanderbilt; Arkansas-South Carolina; Arkansas-Tennessee; Auburn-Florida; Auburn-Tennesee; LSU-Kentucky; Ole Miss-Georgia; Mississippi State-Florida; Mississippi State-South Carolina; etc.

b.) ACC-related:

Boston College-Miami; Boston College-Pittsburgh; Clemson-Virginia; Florida State-Virginia; N.C. State-Duke; Syracuse-Miami; etc.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

This could also be a precursor to pod scheduling. You play everyone in your conference once, maybe twice per year (depending on the sport, number of teams, etc.). In a 4x4 pod you could play your pod-mates home/home every year. That would determine your conference standings. You play 2 additional conference teams of your choice for inventory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

West Virginia is probably the only current P5 school who would take a lesser annual conference payout to join a different P5 conference. For example, if the Big XII pie slice is worth $30 million and the ACC pie slice is worth $27 million, my money says West Virginia would still join the ACC if asked.

On a related financial note, I think many Go5 schools would join any P5 for a lesser than equal pie slice in their new P5 conference. For example, I think Connecticut would join the ACC or Big Ten for a 3/4's share or perhaps even less than a fully equal share.

I bring these thoughts up because it always been a given when discussing expansion that a team "wouldn't move for less money" or "wouldn't be fine with an unequal share." Likewise, perhaps the ACC and Big XII are considering unequal members. I'm thinking of Connecticut, Colorado State, Cincinnati and others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

bigshotbob wrote:
West Virginia is probably the only current P5 school who would take a lesser annual conference payout to join a different P5 conference. For example, if the Big XII pie slice is worth $30 million and the ACC pie slice is worth $27 million, my money says West Virginia would still join the ACC if asked.

On a related financial note, I think many Go5 schools would join any P5 for a lesser than equal pie slice in their new P5 conference. For example, I think Connecticut would join the ACC or Big Ten for a 3/4's share or perhaps even less than a fully equal share.

I bring these thoughts up because it always been a given when discussing expansion that a team "wouldn't move for less money" or "wouldn't be fine with an unequal share." Likewise, perhaps the ACC and Big XII are considering unequal members. I'm thinking of Connecticut, Colorado State, Cincinnati and others.

Well, at this point, maybe EVERY current Go5 school could be forced to make that concession if it meant a sniff from the bigs. And while it would be sound looney or illegal, don't put it past the people who run these schools. Equality seems to be the issue that BYU is sticking to these major conferences, that it keep its network and other considerations, and they still sit out there left wanting. To some extent, virtually everyone DOES agree to the unequal thing, even majors moving between conferences. In that regard, they're all willing to take less now for more later, even if they'll contribute more to the overall pot than others.

WVU's interesting because it risked its financial neck to make the point to the Big East that it was done with the way it did its business. The exit fee, the long road to an equal Big XII share...they seem like a likely candidate to do such a thing again, but who knows how that's gone over internally. And, who's going to take them/want them? I know UMD was a big roadblock in the ACC...stands to reason more than one school had to also not want them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:05 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

When the Big XII cites diminished returns as a reason for NOT expanding, perhaps all they are really doing is stating their terms FOR expanding. I'm sure Colorado State would join for a 40% share. Likewise, New Mexico and many others would probably join for less than that. Buy low to grow? Just might be the way to go.

We can all shout the played out line "but, but, but, then each member would make less" but... what if that very simple logic was given a dash of "hey, these guys will work for peanuts". Oh, that would never happen you assure me. My response would be that the Hispanic population in the United States went from 3% to 13% of the total U.S. population within the past 50 years for precisely the reason that many Hispanics were willing to "join for a lesser pie slice". But college football is more than just that? No, frankly it is exactly that. The proof is Michigan playing Alabama in Jerry World brought to you by AT&T. The proof is in player stipend increases. Read out loud the full name of any bowl game.

So what happens if we apply uneven shares to the mix? The Big XII could conceivably add members and profit. And they would, unless...

The Big XII has no plans to exist beyond 2025 which I believe is the case. In that case, this post is about ACC expansion because I will now cite one possible scenario for the next ACC schools to be added. Everything prior was to set this up. In short, the Big XII can't accurately use the line "but, but, but, there would be diminished returns" because it flies in the face of the obviousness that some schools would join the Big XII unequally to the degree that Big XII would not suffer diminished returns. I.E. Big XII ceases to exist in 2025, the ACC lives on...

Notre Dame. Why? Because an ACC that exists as a P4 is exactly what they would do. They would have been the Big Ten's 12th member if this wasn't the case. Or the 13th, 14th etc.

Now you've got a true Super on your hands with Notre Dame and Florida State. Grow the region with West Virginia to offset the inevitable loss of a surplus State of North Carolina school. Hey now, you just added two very solid athletic programs (WVU, ND) who also sellout football and basketball games. All I'm saying here is that this display of might appease the possible wandering eyes of Florida State. Holy hand grenade is Texas in play at this point????

Well, the Dallas Cowboys are the NFL's most lucrative brand and by choice those Cowboys play in a Division with New York, D.C. and Philly. So, sure... maybe Texas for ACC? There is clear and current evidence that the ACC will "do what it takes" for "ace jewels" because Notre Dame has the comfiest setup in NCAA history courtesy of the ACC. Long story short, the ACC would likely allow Texas to be quasi-Indy with their own Network within the ACC. Complicated much? Yeah, but so is the ACC right now.

For 16,17,18 whatever.... Connecticut, heck even Vanderbilt at this point are probably doable.

Cliff Notes:
a) Big XII actually could expand for profit, but they'd rather die in 2025.
b) Thus ACC survives in P4 landscape. (of note, the ACC's own G.O.R. expires in 2027 conveniently drawn up to end TWO YEARS AFTER the Big XII's)
c) ACC's prior willingness to appease "ace jewels" via special rules means they could get Texas and Notre Dame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1073 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72