NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:30 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
FSU lost its administrative ACC apologist, and I doubt the faculty will sway the boosters and other administrators who know the SEC will fetch them everything they always thought they were worth. The ACC needs a network, like, yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I thought the ACC sold all of its 3rd party rights to ESPN when they renegotiated their contract a few years back.

IMO ESPN doesn't want another channel (its still rolling out the LHN and the SECN) and even if they did start one for the ACC I'm not sure how the ACC expects any money from said channel (unless ESPN said if we make a channel we can renegotiate, then I really dont understand why ESPN would do it) when it no longer owns its rights (ESPN bought UT and the SEC's separate from their other TV deal's for 1st/2nd tier rights).

Yeah, Swofford went and sold them, which brought on that speculation that FSU was going to the Big XII, as well as Swofford needing to "court" FSU and one of the Virginia schools when the GoR came around, because they didn't like the money or care for the way the business was conducted. The understanding was, IIRC, that the content was a gesture of good faith for a better, assumed future stand-alone network. As of now, this is what they've got. No word on that "stand-alone" thing yet.

Clearly, ESPN is driving this ship, and the ACC commissioner did what he had to do to keep the properties in place. The longer this thing goes without that stand-alone product, the more ground some of these schools have to go after the conference, but just ask Maryland how that's going for them, be they in the right or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Streaming channels and A La Carte.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Now this....

That proposed scheduling agreement between the ACC and the SEC have a lot of problems to work out if it is to materialize.
The 8-1 idea is there with both.
The SEC could do it but the idea has to get support by a few schools in the SEC-west such as Alabama, Arkansas, Texas A&M and LSU. While some in the SEC have permanent ACC in-state rivals, the others would have less appealing options, either permanent or by rotation. BC and Syracuse, for example, don't make appealing regular rivals for SEC west types.
In the ACC, BC and Syracuse have their own agendas to move to a 9 conference game format. Then, dealing with the Notre Dame factor makes for more scheduling issues.
There's the claim that 9 conference games increases the amount of games for ESPN/new conference networks. But they should be able to incorporate such as part of the itinerary particularly if there is the same parent network.

For the SEC, I'd rather them inject a policy if they maintain the 8 conference game format, to seek to have all members have one designated OOC power-5 type as part of each school's regular season schedule. For those whereby this is a challenge to find, then they could be part of the pool to coop with the ACC. Basically it would not be top to bottom with the ACC, but substantial.
It's Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, LSU and Ole Miss that (1) do not have an available in-state power rival outside of in-conference and/or (2) do not have a sustained power 5 rival out-of-state that is OOC. Texas A&M and Mizzou could be included in the list if games with their former, prime historical rivals (in B12) could not be renewed.
For as many as 8 of the 14 SEC schools, it is natural to have a power five rival that is OOC. Of those 8, 4 have them established with in-state ACC schools. Another (Vandy) has one regularly with an out-of-state ACC school. For Tenn. doing something with VPI or UNC could be practical. Miami could be plausible with Auburn/Alabama. Some SEC school may be willing to play UVA or Pitt regularly and visa versa.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thinking along those lines:

You must note the Big XII currently plays a 9-game round robin, so if any of those schools were to play a 10th game against a P5 school,
then certainly their 11th and 12th games would need to be cakey.

I could see:
Pitt -WVU
Mizzou- Kansas
BC - Notre Dame (the Catholic champinship every year)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Thinking along those lines:

You must note the Big XII currently plays a 9-game round robin, so if any of those schools were to play a 10th game against a P5 school,
then certainly their 11th and 12th games would need to be cakey.

I could see:
Pitt -WVU
Mizzou- Kansas
BC - Notre Dame (the Catholic champinship every year)

I know the 2013 season and the Chick-Fil-A Bowl this year may have been a randomly awesome year for Duke, but if Texas and Texas A&M don't reconcile (which is what it looks like) and Duke maintains their upward direction, I wouldn't mind a Texas A&M-Duke rivalry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 965 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65