NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:20 pm 
Junior
Junior

Could Notre Dame build it's own conference? And would they want to? Who would they invite, and who would accept? It just hit me that Notre Dame could actually make their own conference. Why have they not tried to do this before? they could bring in teams that they want to play regularly and pretty much dominate their own conference like UT does in the B12, or Alabama in the SEC. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Clearly all speculation, but its fun!

I never thought about that either, but I suppose they could! I would imagine that Notre Dame would want to keep their conference on the smaller side (like 8-9 members) so they could have their 4-5 nonconference games against their other rivals.

Immediately coming to mind as their first invite would be Navy. They have a huge rivalry and Navy could get out of whatever contract they have with the American fairly easily. I think BYU would be extended an invite which they would accept.

After Navy and BYU, I can't say for sure who I think would get invited and accept the invitation. Other schools I believe would get an invitation: Stanford, USC, Texas, Oklahoma,, Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan St, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Miami FL, and Georgia Tech.

I know there would be GoR issues but...I believe Texas would join and Oklahoma would follow making it a 5 team conference. I believe Stanford/USC would stay put in the PAC, but would remain annual rivals with Notre Dame. I think all 5 B1G schools stay put as well. I could see all 4 ACC schools heading to the new conference (and the ACC breaking up with 2 schools headed to the B1G and 2 schools to the SEC). The conference would now be at 9. I can't see the conference getting larger than this. Notre Dame wouldn't to share the pie with too many schools and they would want to have those 4 nonconference games. If any of these schools declined, I could see Army being on the short list.

[/u]"New Power Conference"[/u]
Notre Dame
BYU
Texas
Oklahoma
Miami FL
Georgia Tech
Pittsburgh
Boston College
Navy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:25 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The idea of a Notre Dame centric conference is an intriguing proposal. I think it becomes a possibility if the ACC is ever heavily raided by the SEC and/or the Big Ten. The West Coast teams will surely decline so I imagine everything hinges on whether or not Texas and Oklahoma have interest and are willing and able to leave behind their traditional hanger on schools. The rest of the membership would no doubt come from the ACC--Pitt and BC were mentioned but don't forget about Syracuse. The academically minded schools like UVA and UNC and Duke are also potentials and I'd expect GT and Miami as well.

Truthfully though, unless Texas and Oklahoma are interested in forming an 8-10 member league with Notre Dame the plan doesn't get off the ground. Notre Dame has secured a strong basketball home and preserved their nbc tv contract and even if the ACC gets weakened Notre Dame will just become an even stronger voice at the league table.