NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:35 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 922
Location: Columbus, OH
I've been pondering whether or not it would be possible for Texas to strike out on their own and leave the Big 12.

The Big 12 isn't one big happy family by any means--the GOR essentially is holding everyone hostage by gunpoint. With only 10 teams and no title game they are at a huge disadvantage in the 4-team playoff era. Annexation of the so called Texlahoma 4 by the Pac 12 has its obstacles as well the major one being the Longhorn Network. Other things keeping from the realization of the Pac 16 is the fact that certain Pac 12 schools don't want to allow new programs that don't have the same academic standards while others are opposed to any plan that would seperate them from the California schools.

In terms of dollars and cents I think they could do it. They are the most profitable athletic department in the US. ESPN would surely pay them a market rate for Tier 1 and 2 and the LHN can pick up the rest.

As for the playoffs and those New Years 6 bowls, the name Texas alone should get them consideration whenever they are having an excellent season.

To me the trouble comes when you try to make a quality 12 game schedule for the Longhorns each season. They would need former conference mates to agree to play them for long contracted agreements. Baylor, TCU, and Tech could probably not afford to lose an annual match up with Texas so I imagine they could be be counted on. Other instate programs like SMU, Rice, and Houston would likely line up to get on Texas's schedule. Independents Like BYU and Notre Dame could be counted on for late season games. Army and UMass could be scheduled as late season rent-a-victim games. Texas would need to be able to convince Pac-12, Big Ten, and ACC schools to play them too. But now for the tricky part: I never thought that the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry game would ever go away but hard feelings and conference realignment have cost college football fans that match up. If Oklahoma was jilted would they put an end to the RRR? Perhaps if Texas could help them get into a league of their choosing they might be able to ease tensions--let's say they get Oklahoma and Oklahoma into the SEC via Texas's friends at ESPN and in exchange Oklahoma, Okie St, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and LSU get annual or at least frequent games with Texas.

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts, especially from Texas and Big 12 fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:55 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 433
Location: Fiskville, Texas
No thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:52 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1528
Could but won't.

Like you said all SWC members, minor Texas school like UNT, UTEP, UTSA, TX St plus Oklahoma, OSU, and other like ND & BYU would make it easy to fill up a schedule but I'm not sure ESPN would pay Texas enough money to make it worth going independent. Plus they need a good landing spot for their other sports and I just don't think they'd find a good spot for that...

Plus Texas has no deal with the playoff like ND does not do they have any bowl access to 2nd tier bowls (Alamo, Holiday, Citrus) which have all struck exclusive deals with P5 conferences, and I doubt they want their 10 win fb team playing East Carolina in the 1/2 empty Bahamas bowl.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1264
TKthunder wrote:
Could but won't.

Like you said all SWC members, minor Texas school like UNT, UTEP, UTSA, TX St plus Oklahoma, OSU, and other like ND & BYU would make it easy to fill up a schedule but I'm not sure ESPN would pay Texas enough money to make it worth going independent. Plus they need a good landing spot for their other sports and I just don't think they'd find a good spot for that...

Plus Texas has no deal with the playoff like ND does not do they have any bowl access to 2nd tier bowls (Alamo, Holiday, Citrus) which have all struck exclusive deals with P5 conferences, and I doubt they want their 10 win fb team playing East Carolina in the 1/2 empty Bahamas bowl.


With the independent pool being so sparse as it is, any addition improves viability, but only to a certain point. I think Notre Dame's move exposed the new reality of the current FBS landscape. With conferences so valued yet cumbersome to accomodate, it's not like Texas could demand the schedule they wanted. They have to make sacrifices like everyone they want. I agree that some games are automatics...but it's the fluff (SBC, CUSA, etc.) Texas will get for what it needs to fill dates. Notre Dame traded in that stress, losing some good rivals in there for it, but doesn't have the scheduling woes BYU has...which Texas likely would as an independent, even if not as extreme.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:23 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1528
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
TKthunder wrote:
Could but won't.

Like you said all SWC members, minor Texas school like UNT, UTEP, UTSA, TX St plus Oklahoma, OSU, and other like ND & BYU would make it easy to fill up a schedule but I'm not sure ESPN would pay Texas enough money to make it worth going independent. Plus they need a good landing spot for their other sports and I just don't think they'd find a good spot for that...

Plus Texas has no deal with the playoff like ND does not do they have any bowl access to 2nd tier bowls (Alamo, Holiday, Citrus) which have all struck exclusive deals with P5 conferences, and I doubt they want their 10 win fb team playing East Carolina in the 1/2 empty Bahamas bowl.


With the independent pool being so sparse as it is, any addition improves viability, but only to a certain point. I think Notre Dame's move exposed the new reality of the current FBS landscape. With conferences so valued yet cumbersome to accomodate, it's not like Texas could demand the schedule they wanted. They have to make sacrifices like everyone they want. I agree that some games are automatics...but it's the fluff (SBC, CUSA, etc.) Texas will get for what it needs to fill dates. Notre Dame traded in that stress, losing some good rivals in there for it, but doesn't have the scheduling woes BYU has...which Texas likely would as an independent, even if not as extreme.


I'd wager that in this hypothetical situation Texas would make a deal to continue to play Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl the first weekend in October like they always have...and would restart the Thanksgiving rivalry with A&M and we know Tech would want to keep their game and prove they are one of UT's rivals (in the past their was talk about making it every year on Haloween). UT already has 3 OOC games scheduled for the next many years and would simply expand that to 4 with very little effort. Pencil in long term deals with ND & BYU for Novemeber, a mid year game with Rice and you pretty much have the first 6 games of the year and last 4 games of the year established before we need to even dip into the pool of Arkansas, Baylor, TCU, Okie St, other independents like UMass, Army, or other in state fodder to find a long term deal with.

Possible schedule:
Minor Go5 school (kickoff cupcake) already scheduled: Rice, UTEP
Major P5 game; already scheduled: ND, USC, LSU, Michigan, tOSU, Arkansas
Mid size Go5 school (AAC/MWC) already scheduled: Tulsa, UCF, USF
Minor P5 game; already scheduled: Cal, Maryland
Oklahoma already scheduled until 2025
Rice
? Baylor/TCU ? (If none will bite plug in BYU and add Army in Nov)
? Arky/Okie St ? (Worst case scenario this is UMass or Tx St or UTSA/UTEP both controlled by UT BOR)
Tech
BYU
ND
A&M

Still I don't think it will ever happen, but Texas is likely one of the few schools that could pull this off.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:26 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 922
Location: Columbus, OH
Texas really needs to have 9 (if not 10) of their games against Power 5 opponents in order to keep up their strength of schedule and give their Television partners content worth airing. This pretty much means that they need to keep Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Oklahoma on the schedule and hopefully get A&M back. That would give them 5 and if a deal could be inked with Notre Dame that means 6. that means they need at least 3 more from the ranks of the Power 5 to complete the schedule.

The 2-3 non Power 5 games are the easy ones to schedule. They can do 2 for 1's or guarantee (aka rent-a-victim) games with programs like SMU, Houston, UNT, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP.

Like you all said, BYU is another natural partner for late in the season games.

The trouble is what do you with all of Texas's Olympic sports? You pretty much need a conference to give them the kind of deal that the Big East and now the ACC gave Notre Dame. The trouble with that is the conference they need that arrangement with is the very conference that they would be burning by going independent. One conference that might be willing to make that arrangement with Texas is the MWC but I don't know if Texas would be willing to stoop to that level and I can't imagine the MWC making that deal unless they were getting some football games in he arrangement.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:17 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1264
BYU fills a slot, but at what point are they recognized as a major? BYU's no better than Rice or any non-P5 Texas program, or a service academy.

Texas' ollies would have no problem finding a home. Someone would want their hoops and baseball bad enough to make it happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
Junior
Junior

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:41 am
Posts: 119
Location: Chicago, IL
fighting muskie wrote:

The trouble is what do you with all of Texas's Olympic sports? You pretty much need a conference to give them the kind of deal that the Big East and now the ACC gave Notre Dame. The trouble with that is the conference they need that arrangement with is the very conference that they would be burning by going independent. One conference that might be willing to make that arrangement with Texas is the MWC but I don't know if Texas would be willing to stoop to that level and I can't imagine the MWC making that deal unless they were getting some football games in he arrangement.


A kind of fun what if alternate history I thought of: If the Big East hadn't collapsed and TCU was in it, it would be a natural landing spot for Texas's Olympic sports. The old Big East had already shown this type of deal was doable to them with Notre Dame and the addition of Texas would help all Olympic sports by giving them two matches instead of one when the northeast schools had to head to the Lone Star State to face TCU. Granted none of this matters anymore.

I think Texas's biggest problem with going independent is "What happens to the perception of the Big 12 without Texas?" They probably could reach 9 Power 5 games if they play a Top Power 5 every weekend in September before they all get into the heart of conference play and then face off against A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and Notre Dame later in the year along with 2 bodybags and BYU. The issue I'm seeing is that list has 4 Big 12's on it and the perception of the Big 12 is already dented with a conference championship game. Lose Texas and it looks even worse. They may play enough Power 5 teams but a large percentage would come from the weakest Power 5 conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:32 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 740
Location: Louisville, KY
If Texas had joined the Big East, it may have wound up splitting the Big East in 2012. The real question would have been whether or not the Oklahoma schools could have joined the Pac 10/12 without Texas. The SEC would have still taken A&M. Nebraska, Rutgers, and Maryland still join the Big 10, just in an accelerated timeline. If the Pac 10 adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, the Big 10 takes Kansas and Missouri as 15 and 16. The SEC taps West Virginia. The ACC adds Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

Even if the music stops there, the Big 12 has to add the Big East football schools to continue:

TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Kansas State
Iowa State
Louisville
Cincinnati
Connecticut
South Florida
Central Florida
Memphis
Temple

Texas is then left with the C7 and Notre Dame. The Big East in theory could have absorbed the Big 12, but Temple would be football-only playing its other sports in the Atlantic 10 while UCF and Memphis would be nowhere to be found, leaving the Big East at 9 full members, 1 football only, and 18 members in most other sports.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Quinn and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group