Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: East Carolina to the ACC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:30 am 
Junior
Junior

I know that there are several ACC fans on this board. Just wanted to know what your opinions were of adding ECU to the ACC. I know that they are hated by the tobacco road schools for some reason. It would seem to me that the tobaccos would want another North Carolina team to further control conference affairs. What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:21 am 
Senior
Senior

Arbitrage,
I am a SEC fan, so I don't have the "inside scoop." However, from a nonbiased view, it would appear that ECU would be a better fit for the BE. ECU does not add any real market to the ACC. They already have the NC tv market sewn up. Also, every recruit that ECU gets is one less for the Tobacco Rd schools; so why should they help ECU. The BE, however, has no presence in the Carolianas. Adding ECU could pay for itself in added market.

Using this same reasoning, Marshall is a better fit for the ACC.

By the way. I have a neice in ECU, so I wish them well.

FBfan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:32 am 
Junior
Junior

acc will never ad Marshall.... academics will never measure up n they dont have much to add to acc. other than fb marshall sports n facilitys not even on cusa level.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:42 am 
Freshman
Freshman

ECU to the ACC will never happen.....too many factors to list as to why it won't.....and to be honest, most ECU fans wouldn't want to be a part of the ACC in the first place.....too much ugly history.

The Big East, however, is another story altogether.... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:44 am 
Freshman
Freshman

If ECU was added to the ACC that would be five of the ten schools of the conference from N Carolina. Is that another word for inbreeding? Besides we BULLS really enjoy the footBULL trip to ECU. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ECU is not going to the BE .Its athletic and academics are certainly not at the standard of either the BE or ACC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
ECU is not going to the BE .Its athletic and academics are certainly not at the standard of either the BE or ACC.

Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

In terms of academics ECU is far from being an AAU school such UVA,UMD,UNC,Duke,Syracuse,Pitt,Rutgers.As far its athletics it is no FlaST or Miami or VaTech in football.Its market for TV is clearly minimal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
In terms of academics ECU is far from being an AAU school such UVA,UMD,UNC,Duke,Syracuse,Pitt,Rutgers.As far its athletics it is no FlaST or Miami or VaTech in football.Its market for TV is clearly minimal.

And right there is the reason Clemson wants to leave the ACC. Just like Tigerguppy2 is trumpeting the "virtues" of UL academics over ECU's academics, the NC schools have being done the same to Clemson for years. ::) ::) Also, in the ACC, the only athletics of consequences are men and women's basketball. Yet another reason UL would be a good fit in the ACC. They can get together with NC schools and talk about academics and basketball all day long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:06 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Although I'm not from NC, I can't see why anyone there would want to add ECU to the ACC anymore than an SEC school would want to add Troy State.

ACC schools have built strong academic reputations. ECU is certainly not known for that. According to my cousin in NC, ECU is a school that kids go to that could not get in UNC or NC State Univ. She said the hardest state colleges to get in to in NC are (in order) UNC, NC State, UNC Wilmington, UNC Asheville, Appalachian State, UNC Greensboro, UNC Charlotte, then ECU. (ahead of only West Carolina, NC A&T, NC Central, and a few others I can't remember)

As for athletics, ECU certainly seems to do well in the C-USA. But they have never won a conference title. And to be honest, this conference is just a notch above a I-AA league. I know some Wake Forest and Duke fans might want to add them, but that is just because it would keep them from finishing last in the ACC in football. Both Wake Forest and Duke beat ECU last year. Duke broke some 22 game losing streak against ECU.

As for basketball, ECU has had like one winning season in a conference in 20 years.

So my question is, other than Duke wanting to add them for football, why would the ACC want them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:57 pm 
Junior
Junior

Ecu isnt going any where. Cusa for life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:52 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
Although I'm not from NC, I can't see why anyone there would want to add ECU to the ACC anymore than an SEC school would want to add Troy State.

ACC schools have built strong academic reputations. ECU is certainly not known for that. According to my cousin in NC, ECU is a school that kids go to that could not get in UNC or NC State Univ. She said the hardest state colleges to get in to in NC are (in order) UNC, NC State, UNC Wilmington, UNC Asheville, Appalachian State, UNC Greensboro, UNC Charlotte, then ECU. (ahead of only West Carolina, NC A&T, NC Central, and a few others I can't remember)

As for athletics, ECU certainly seems to do well in the C-USA. But they have never won a conference title. And to be honest, this conference is just a notch above a I-AA league. I know some Wake Forest and Duke fans might want to add them, but that is just because it would keep them from finishing last in the ACC in football. Both Wake Forest and Duke beat ECU last year. Duke broke some 22 game losing streak against ECU.

As for basketball, ECU has had like one winning season in a conference in 20 years.

So my question is, other than Duke wanting to add them for football, why would the ACC want them?

ZoneMan, your cousin's expertise in the academic rankings of North Carolina 's colleges and universities is certainly something to behold !! Clearly, she has been studying that subject matter for years and years. What an accomplishment ! I know the family is proud of her !

Believe me, the ACC does everything it can do to stymie the progress of ECU; its strong opposition to its now esteemed medical school and lobbying behind the scenes to keep the school from joining a BCA conference are just two examples. Other than basketball and academic programs that are better than some I admit(but inferior to Ivy League schools), the conference is mostly noted around the country for its prima donna reputation.

Prior to being shut out of a BCA conference, ECU clearly had the best football program in North and South Carolina. It was also very competitive with what are now Big East affiliated schools.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

"ECU clearly had the best football program in North Carolina".....YOU MUST KIDDING! (maybe versus Duke, who broke their 22 game losing streak against you)

Over the last 20 years:

ECU has had 7 winning seasons
Wake Forest has had 7 winning seasons
NC State has had 13 winning seasons
UNC has had 13 winning seasons

ECU has won 3 bowl games
Wake Forest has won 3 bowl games
NC State has won 5 bowl games
UNC has won 6 bowl games

ECU has played against C-USA teams
Wake Forest has played against ACC teams
NC State has played against ACC teams
UNC has played against ACC teams

What have you been smoking?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
"ECU clearly had the best football program in North Carolina".....YOU MUST KIDDING! (maybe versus Duke, who broke their 22 game losing streak against you)

Over the last 20 years:

ECU has won 3 bowl games
UNC has won 6 bowl games

And who has UNC beat? I'm willing to bet you $20 Zoneman, that UK and UNC have had the same number of winning seasons in the last twenty years, and UK is hardly the SEC's most successful team. Like UK, UNC really hasn't played anyone of note OOC.
Same argument goes for NCSU. I'd dare say that they have an equal record to Arkansas which had a constant revolving door of coaches.
As an SEC fan, I will say that ECU plays its OOC opponents very tough, and ECU used to play a very demanding OOC sched.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:06 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Over the last 20 years:

ECU has won 3 bowl games
UNC has won 6 bowl games

ZoneMan, using the last 20 years to compare football programs is really begging the point. To be more relevant, lets compare the winning percentages for years 1996 thru 2000:

NCSU =58%
UNC-CH =64%
ECU =64%

In that time frame ECU had wins/losses against such teams as Miami, Syracuse, WVA , Ill, USC and a loss to Tenn. I won't embarass you with the heels outside conference games; also, here is a news flash for you: beating ACC teams is not considered a big deal in the world of college football. The conference has had some good teams through out the years, but on the whole, it is considered a weak football conference - and deservedly so.

If ECU had not been closed out of BCS affiliated conferences, I believe the program would now be a perennial top 20 contender.

ROOT FOR THE LITTLE GUY - ROOT FOR ECU !!!