NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: East Carolina to the ACC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:10 pm 
East Carolina is a state supported University and has made big strides such as adding a medical school. Their athletic programs, mainly football, have been respectable. However, them becoming an ACC member is not realistic. C-USA will be their home a long time.
Like the Southwest conference of old, it was all Texas schools except Arkansas. The MAC has six Ohio schools. The PAC 10 has four California schools. North Carolina is no California (talking about size here). A State can end up having too many schools in the same conference. Actually, Florida is nice, with different big time schools in differing conferences.
East Carolina's main problem is the directional name (and where it is located).
Names like Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Georgia Southern (have a degree from there), and Louisiana-City, just do not inspire out-of-area appeal. Even big city team names--Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, etc. just sound more lofty. It is unfair, but imagery is profound.
A solid education may be gained from these state schools, and many have excellent academic programs and facilities. By the way, if someone points out Southern Cal and Southern Methodist as exceptions, these are ole' time expensive privates in classic cities. Southern Miss does has a cute ring to it, but the SEC will not come calling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:15 pm 
Junior
Junior

As a Clemson fan, I'd much rather have ECU in the ACC than Duke or Wake, simply because they actually care that they have a football team.

As for
Quote:
Prior to being shut out of a BCA conference, ECU clearly had the best football program in North and South Carolina.
....you have to be kidding me.

Clemson is 152-80-4 from 1983-2002
ECU is 112-159-1 in the same time span.
You must have forgot that the past 20 years runs from '83 till now. Of course, if I were an ECU fan I would forget the end of the Ed Emory and all of the Art Baker era as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:38 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
East Carolina is a state supported University and has made big strides such as adding a medical school. Their athletic programs, mainly football, have been respectable. However, them becoming an ACC member is not realistic. C-USA will be their home a long time.
Like the Southwest conference of old, it was all Texas schools except Arkansas. The MAC has six Ohio schools. The PAC 10 has four California schools. North Carolina is no California (talking about size here). A State can end up having too many schools in the same conference. Actually, Florida is nice, with different big time schools in differing conferences.
East Carolina's main problem is the directional name (and where it is located).
Names like Northern Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Georgia Southern (have a degree from there), and Louisiana-City, just do not inspire out-of-area appeal. Even big city team names--Boston College, Miami, Syracuse, etc. just sound more lofty. It is unfair, but imagery is profound.
A solid education may be gained from these state schools, and many have excellent academic programs and facilities. By the way, if someone points out Southern Cal and Southern Methodist as exceptions, these are ole' time expensive privates in classic cities. Southern Miss does has a cute ring to it, but the SEC will not come calling.

DogsNthingys,

Your points are well taken; ECU does need to change is image from being a school of regional interest to one of a more national standing. It also needs to offer more undergraduate programs that will attract top tier students from the southeast if not the nation. (probaly easier said than done) UNC partisans in the state legislature make ECU fight for every dimes it gets. UNC is still smarting over the addition of the med school and they want to make certain nothing like that happens again.

Having said that, there has been so much bad blood between ECU and the North Carolina ACC schools, that it would be very painful for us to have to affiliate ourselves with the ACC; we would much prefer an opportunity to join the Big East.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

"Root for the little guy - root for ECU"

I think you just said it all!!!!

If the ACC expands it will look at Va Tech and Miami.

Last edited by zoneman on Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:58 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:
"Root for the little guy - root for ECU"

I think you just said it all!!!!

If the ACC expands it will look at Va Tech and Miami.

Given the lack of character that the ACC, and Mr Swofford, have recently demonstrated, I think it will be doubful that any school will want to affiliated with that conference anytime soon. Like I said, ECU does not want to be affiliated with the ACC.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:32 pm 
Good point SCPirate, I have a lot of respect for ECU.
South Carolina was a charter member of the ACC. I remember the criticism of the conference having four teams from one state (NC) which caused, in part, one school to leave. Clemson, Ga Tech, and FSU grumble about it now, mainly in terms of football.
The ACC historically never wanted Va Tech. Maybe the view will change at some point. Anyway, the Big East would be wise to seriously consider ECU. It would make another acquisition into ACC territory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:43 am 
Junior
Junior

It is a little known fact that South Carolina and Clemson agreed to leave the ACC in the early 70s, mainly due to the NC bias and control of the league. When it came time to actually do it, CU opted to stay. At the time, SC was developing into a basketball powerhouse. An interesting note, SC actually won the ACC football and basketball titles in our last year in the league.

Dropping from the ACC killed our basketball program. Playing an independent basketball slate for 15 years, then joining the Metro Conference for convenience really caused our program to suffer.

It is interesting to think what would have happened if both CU and SC had dumped the ACC as originally planned. Would they both have joined the SEC or Big East together? Interesting to think about.

SEC East
UGA
GA Tech
USC
Clemson
Florida
Tennessee

SEC West
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
MSU

Last edited by arbitrage97 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:28 pm 
Arbitrage - right on comments - but in your senario, what happened to Vanderbilt and Kentucky in the SEC East? Also, I doubt Fla State would want to remain in the SEC if their closet conference opponent was, say, Wake Forest.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:11 am 
Junior
Junior

I agree with the notion that the Big East should invite ECU to join. It would allow ECU to recruit at a much higher level, probably stealing some prize in-state players from tobacco road.

Unfortunately, I don't see any major expansion in the conference, with the exception of Notre Dame, in the near future. This primarily has to do with the non-football playing members.

I do not understand how a conference can be viable with all-sport members, members who play all-sports except football, and football only members. Who's idea was this anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:28 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

SEC East
UGA
GA Tech
USC
Clemson
Florida
Tennessee

SEC West
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
MSU

Just my ideal situation. To make it more perfect, swap out FSU for Arkansas. In the east S. Carolina, Clemson, UGA, GT, UF, FSU and the west: LSU, Aub, Ala, MSU, Ole Miss, UT. That would be a great league.

Ship Ark to the B12 where they belong. Vandy to the ACC with Kentucky.

Will never ever happen, though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:31 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Like I said, ECU does not want to be affiliated with the ACC.

and i am a tomato who models for victoria's secret who does NASCAR in my sparetime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:03 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

and i am a tomato who models for victoria's secret who does NASCAR in my sparetime

ncrepresent, have you been driving your tractor without your sun hat on again ? That was a clever one ! You have potential as a stand up comedian,but don't sell the hog farm just yet, ok ?

ECU would choose not to belong to the ACC for at least three reasons:

1. ECU would like to be in a football conference as
opposed to a basketball conference. ACC football
programs are not at all respected around the country
2. The ACC does not have good standing with other
conferences - the recent events of Mr. Swofford
using underhanded tactics in trying to lure BE
schools to the ACC is the most recent example why
other conferences hold the ACC in low regard.
3. The ACC works vigoriously to keep ECU out of a BCS
conference and has always worked politically against
ECU on educational and athletic matters in the state.
Do you remember when the tar holes said they would
not go to the Peach Bowl if ECU was their opponet ?
There are simply too many bad feelings in Greenville
for ECU to have to eat crow and settle for the ACC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:32 am 
Freshman
Freshman

and all that withstanding, ecu STILL would give its right arm to get in The ACC.

you're a South Carolina Pirate, and I am the one on the tractor? ???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:31 am 
Junior
Junior

when all of this shakes out over the next 2 years ECU will be in the new hybred conf made up of the surviving members of CUSA an the Mac. 3 to 5 of the bottom dwellers of these leagues will be gone... and the 4 to 6 teams with the most long term potential will be in the new 12 team big east. I think it would be a real long shot for ecu to make it in with that bunch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:44 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:

Just my ideal situation. To make it more perfect, swap out FSU for Arkansas. In the east S. Carolina, Clemson, UGA, GT, UF, FSU and the west: LSU, Aub, Ala, MSU, Ole Miss, UT. That would be a great league.

Ship Ark to the B12 where they belong. Vandy to the ACC with Kentucky.

Will never ever happen, though.

Ship Arkansas to the Big 12 where they belong huh? - yea, geographically the SEC is a stretch as we are not smack dab in the middle of SEC Country, but neither is USC or Florida....or for that matter, LSU - we are just one state above LSU, no further west my friend - Louisiana is west of the Mississippi too - if you really got down to it, the SC schools and Florida schools should all be in the ACC by your reasoning as they are really on the Atlantic Coast - another note, Arkansas is much more southern than midwestern - we have some similarities to Oklahoma, Texas and southern Missouri - we have little in common with folks from Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa and Kansas - we are southerners thank you very much - Arkansan

Last edited by arkansan on Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.