NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:43 am 
Senior
Senior

On the 6th of May, Arbitrage97 made a post on the 'How it will go down thread.' The linked article discussed the possibility of a new conference made up of the FB 1st schools fro the BE and ACC. This thread is to discuss which teas you would want to be in it, and which you think would want to be in it.

To start, how about:

Clemson,FSU,GT,Miami(Fl),Pitt,WVU,VT, plus 1 to 3 from the next list.

MD, Syracuse, ECU, ...and if available... PSU or ND!

FBfan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:04 am 
Senior
Senior

I like this bunch the best (though sadly it probably won't happen). Great split for football, but in basketball it'd be a big problem:

North

Boston College
Maryland
Notre Dame
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse

South

Clemson
FSU
Georgia Tech
Miami
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Same song, different verse.

As a Tech grad, I wouldn't mind the new conference. I do think it's more likely that UConn would be included, however, instead of ND. Assuming something like this happens, the corrollary is that the basketball schools would create a new conference as well. Catholic league or not, that new conference would probably offer ND a similar deal to what they have with the BE right now and allow the football to remain independent. And given that the creation of a new league may take time, the dust may not have fully settled from secondary effects for these new leagues to have diluted ND's presence in the BCS or national spotlight.

Also, what about the likes of Louisville, Cincy or Temple. Not football powers, obviously, but this would be, I assume, an all sport conference and perhaps the likes of Pitt and Syracuse would rather see PSU kept out of this league in lieu of Louisville or a credible basketball program. Plus Temple is a sizable school from a big market.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:00 am 
Senior
Senior

Good points GunnerFan. Hadn't considered ND playing hoops in an the east coast version of the ECC and staying indy in football. Makes perfect sense. Also makes sense to have Temple in the new all-sports conference, since they need to make all they can in both sports, and Temple at least generates basketball interest, and a chunk (however small) of Philly.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:21 am 
Senior
Senior

GunnerFan,
The reason it is the "same song different verse" is that it is the crux of the matter. All BCS conferences need 1 or more anchor teams. For the BE it is Miami(Fl) and for the ACC it has been FSU. When Miami underpreformed a few years ago, the BE almost lost its BCS standing. If FSU gets hit with probation, has trouble replacing Bobby B. when he retires, or stops being a top 10 team for any reason, the ACC could be in the same boat the BE was.

IMHO, that is why the ACC is trying to get Miami. If Miami(Fl) and FSU (assuming it is a top 10 team again next year) want to start a conference, they can easily find enough teams to join them. GT and Clemson do not appear to be that happy with the ACC accoding to posters on this board. Those 4, and ANY 4 or 5 other teams would be a BCS conference!

The question then becomes: "Will the new conference be: A. The ACC raids the BE B. TheBE raids the ACC C. The 4 teams above Cherry pick the BE D. The 4 above Cherry pick the southern teams from C-USA and the BE E. Something else.

What is most likely? What would be best IYO?

FBfan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I would say the most likely scenario right now is that the ACC tries to expands by just adding Miami. It will be up to the Canes officials to decide then if they prefer guaranteed moneis from the 10 team ACC or if they wish to pursue the new conference that we're talking about. While the latter option is very feasible, it might be too much work to make it really happen, especially in time for BCS and TV contract negotiations. In the ACC, Miami could use out-of-conference games to maintain their northeastern presence for recruiting, plus they'd likely help create the best baseball conference in the country. And as has been mentioned on multiple boards, there'd likely be better traveling among fans from the ACC arrangement then anything that stretches from Miami to Louisville to Boston.

If there were to be a split, however, the timing would be very crucial as well as who signs on from the outset. If the likes of Mimai and FSU commit to a new league early, don't be surprised if the ACC expands to 10 by dropping FSU, GT and Clemson but picks up UConn, Temple, Rutgers and possibly BC. Likely a better b-ball conference, still credible for football plus they retain their BCS status.

After the ACC and the "Catholic" League move for b-ball supremecy, that only leaves eight remaining ACC/BE Fb powers:
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson
VT
WVU
Syracuse
Pitt

The big plus here is that this league is openly advertising for four more members. Louisville and Cincinnatti are givens to me, as CUSA loses some schools to the Catholic league. ND is not in - They'll want to remain indie in FB, join the Catholic league for all else. PSU is a last resort so as not to take away from existing TV and recruiting markets in Pitt and 'Cuse.
Similar stories with UCF, USF and Marshall.

So who's left? Navy and Army will be better off elsewhere. UNCC can't get their FB together in time. That leaves ECU, UAB, MTSU and Memphis as viable candidates(* see below). Pending all-sport compatibility, ECU gets in first. Starts the ACC rivalry off right, better geography and some existing matchups with the new league members. The others seem 50/50 to me.

So, IMO, here's your new Eastern Athletic Conference:
North: Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Cincinnatti, West Virginia, Virginia Tech

South: Miami, FSU, Ga. Tech, Clemson, ECU, UAB*

Last twist: Assuming these shifts drive what's perceived as the last configuration of div. I-A schools, I expect some last minute pushing from several I-AA schools that want in. In this case, don't be surprised to hear Ga. Southern bantied about.