NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:20 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Q&A | With Mike Tranghese: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/6864267.htm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

As he rebuilds his conference and coordinates the evolving Bowl Championship Series, Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese squeezed out a few minutes Thursday to answer questions from Observer reporter Gregg Doyel. Among the topics: Notre Dame, a football playoff and the next Big East school that wants to leave.

Q. What will the Bowl Championship Series look like after the current agreement expires after 2005? We're still in the initial stages of analyzing the current system, all the possible options, economically and politically, what the unintended consequences are, and so on. We've had pretty extensive conversations, and soon we'll take all that information to our presidents, and they will present it to their conferences. This is a long, detailed process, and we don't have to make a decision until sometime next year. The BCS is contractually obligated to begin negotiating with ABC in Sept. 2004. At some point, in the early part of 2004, we'll have to arrive at how we want to go about it. We may have several options, but it's a pretty complicated process.

Q. How have recent events, like Congress' anti-trust hearings on the BCS and criticism led by Tulane President Scott Cowen, affected the process? I think Miami and Virginia Tech leaving (the Big East for the ACC), and the concerns raised by President Cowen's group, have added some layers of complication to everything, but at the end of the day we've got to work through it.

Q. How realistic is a playoff in 2006? One thing I'm certain of is we won't have a playoff. That's the only thing our presidents have told us not to engage ourselves with. They've told us to look at every other option and identify problems, negatives, unintended consequences, but they told us not to waste time with a playoff. They're not interested in playing a lot more football games, or games in the second semester, and they believe a playoff would ultimately damage the bowl system.

Q. Will the Big East make it more financially painful for the next team that wants to leave the league? I hope so. It's one of the things we're talking about as we talk about our future, but clearly the experience of this past summer has led us to want to make it more difficult. But we're not naïve -- you can make something as difficult as you want, but if someone wants to get up and leave, they will. We'll make it significant, but in my view, we can't make it high enough.

Q. The ACC is pursuing partial Big East member Notre Dame. What do you know? I know a lot about that, but what I will say is this: Notre Dame has been a good partner to us. They have never acted behind our backs, and they have shared everything with us. I'm pretty confident they'll still be with us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks for the link, Cybercat, & for the post, Fbgod.

Interesting that Tranghese indirectly confirms the fact that substantive talks have been taking place between Notre Dame & the ACC. He then says "I'm pretty confident they'll still be with us." For someone who "knows a lot about that" because Notre Dame "has shared everything with us" to be only "pretty confident" says that there remains a distinct possibility that they will not be with "us."

This back door confirmation of the talks by someone who is not directly involved in them is similar to CUSA's back door confirmation of the Big East's plans. Anyone, who says that the Big East's plans are not firm because no vote has been taken, is correct. However, knowing that Tranghese does not want his process to look like the ACC's, I am sure he has carefully counted the votes. Recordintg them will be just a formality. He has told us that he is having regular talks with CUSA & is keeping them informed of "everything we are doing." So, for CUSA to come out & announce contingency plans for expansion provides the confirmation of the Bigf East's plans by someone who is not directly involved.

Interesting how these things emerge . . .

Last edited by friarfan on Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Notre Dame was the first to notify the Big East of the ACC plans at the beginning of the summer. The ACC wanted Notre Dame before Miami and BC.

Notre Dame has stated in public they are not interested in joining the ACC to ESPN.

Notre Dame went public with the same offer from the Big 10.

What more does everyone need to understand Notre Dame is not interested in joining the ACC?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

If this is the final solution, the conference will not last long. Since the football schools have an uncertain future, one or two will eventually end up with the ACC and/or Big10. Then what will the remaining football schools do. They do not seem to see the writing on the wall, and take the bold steps necessary to give Notre Dame an ultimatum, or withdraw unilaterally, despite the financial penalties.

More trouble in the future is fairly certain, since they are not solving a problem, only postponing it. The problem will be worse when it surfaces again....
:)

I don't think this is the final configuation.
As I understand it, the current TV deals for Football & Basketball both end after the 2007 season.

Redoing those deals on distribution of the money for 2005-2007 (the BB schools get some small cut of the FB money) would be a nightmare given the short time frame. No wonder they dumped the "Split" idea.

I think the "split" idea will be revisited prior to the 2006 season with a likely breakup into 2 leagues for 2008.

I have no doubt they have enough pull to get a waiver of the "5-year" rule for the various NCAA championships. (Would it even matter for the basketball tournaments? Both leagues would likely get multiple at-large bids until the rule kicked in anyway.)

Last edited by earthx on Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:49 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I believe the rule is a two year wait except in men's basketball. So it is a minor issue in the other sports. I wouldn't be surprised if they are already working on a waiver. It is possible they might already have what they need. There was some legislation to clarify what happens when leagues split (after the WAC split). I don't recall what the conclusion of the legislation was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:50 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

"Big East and ACC vying for Notre Dame's allegiance": http://www.projo.com/college/content/projo_20030927_27beast.5ec23.html

The highlights of this article from my perspective were:
- "If we as a conference can answer some questions, I'm confident Notre Dame will be with us," said Tranghese.
- There is talk of schools committing to the 16-team Big East for at least five years and any withdrawal would bring a hefty penalty, perhaps as much as $10 million.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:01 pm 
This astronomical exit fee stuff delivers the wrong message. Sure, there should be a sufficient enough exit fee to defray the cost of others in trying to re-schedule and re-structure. If a school wants to leave, let them leave, but pay a fee so their cohorts will not suffer undue costs as a result.

If fees become too high and deemed too unreasonable, the signed contracts could become subject to lawsuits by the grieving party. But, I suppose their keen lawyers will address this beforehand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:10 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

"Big East: Where do we go from here?": http://www.collegefootballnews.com/pp/pp_article_view.aspx?articleID=724

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Big East: Where do we go from here?
David Ferry

Believe it or not, the most intriguing question this season in the Big East is not "will it be Virginia Tech or Miami this year?", or "will Pitt make some noise when it matters?". Wow, there seems to be a really bad echo in this room. The more interesting thing to consider is how the games this year will impact the future of Big East football going forward. I believe the doomsday forecasts about this Conference will be proven false. Yes, the Big East is losing two perennial powers, and yes, it could be a few seasons before any of the remaining teams will play for the BCS Championship. That being said, there are some moves that the Conference should make that would strengthen it in the long run.

There is cause for optimism, but the league is going to have to do something it hasn't done for a while - get off its rear end. Let's face it, the powers that be in the Big East were asleep at the switch on the ACC expansion plans. They should have seen it coming. It's now up to Commissioner Tranghese and his people to stop whining about the underhandedness of other conferences and get to work. The first order of business is expansion. Call it raiding if you want to, but college football is big business and everybody else is playing hardball.

Games last week showed us that Louisville and Cincinnati can win on the road in the Big East. They are quality football programs and would be fine additions in many ways. Both are strong academic institutions, have powerful basketball programs, and would bring in the Ohio Valley television market for both sports. These schools have hoards of loyal alums and fans that pack the stadiums for most games. Toledo, with an impressive win last week over Marshall should also be considered. The Rockets have gained ground in the last three years. It will be interesting to see how they fare against Pitt on Saturday and at Syracuse the following week.

At first glance, a lot of folks will think you can't replace Miami and Virginia Tech with C-USA teams and stay on the national stage. I disagree. One of the things that has been the Achilles heel of Big East football since its inception has been the lack of parity. Every year, the Conference has become a two team foot race with about three games that really matter. Those tilts notwithstanding, the only other games that generate interest and attendance are the non-conference games. This has been a problem for years. For most Big East teams, their biggest games are outside the conference. For home games, Miami will sell out every year for Florida State, or the Florida's and Tennessee's on the schedule. When the Big East teams come to town, you can sit wherever you want in the old Orange Bowl. Most likely spending much of the game thinking about all the historic games that have unfolded there, but you won't be at one that day. Boston College is a great program, but they haven't beaten Miami since the Flutie pass - nineteen years ago.

The Eagles do however have Notre Dame's number every few years, and those are the kind of wins that will maintain respect for the Big East. Their win in Happy Valley was another non-conference highlight. Then there are the Bowl records, the Big East has fared as well as any conference over the last five years. And while no one is calling Connecticut a national power yet, their trek toward the national scene has been faster than anyone expected. The fact is that these are good teams, just not against each other right now, or anytime in recent memory for that matter. There have been a lot of highlights in the cross conference games, but not many to even hope for inside the conference.

The point is that too many of the Big East intra-conference rivalries have become about as predictable as the American League East division race. Fresh new teams would bring an excitement that has been missing since, well, the beginning. A balance of strong quality programs would buoy the Conference and attendance would certainly follow. Message to the Big East: Start taking advantage of the opportunities right in front of you and stop lamenting about what never was.

Now this Pittsburgh. But whoever on here side BC is just one lucky pass away from Holy Cross being an archrival is correct. BC also has beaten Alabama everytime they have played. So between Pitt and BC its a toss up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:54 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Hi to all,

This is a great message board, I believe.

This entire ACC raid and subsequent events hurts the University of Pittsburgh the most, in my opinion.

The ACC wanted the biggest Big East markets along with Miami. Thus the reason for luring Syracuse and Boston College. Pitt is in a nice size market, but not the biggest. What's more, both the Big 10 and the ACC most likely believe that all of Pennsylvania is locked up for the Big 10 because of Penn State.

As it stands now, because the ACC's request for a conference championship with 11 teams was refused, the ACC will again go after Boston College. This time, BC will likely make it into the ACC.

Everyone knows that the Big 10 would like to have Notre Dame. Failing that, the Big 10 may want Syracuse in order to tap into the New York market. Both schools would bring more TV sets to the Big 10.

And where does that leave the Pitt Panthers?

Pitt is no small school. Pitt has about 20,000 students at its main campus in Oakland. Pitt has a School of Law, a School of Dentistry, a Graduate School of Business and a medical school. Penn State doesn´t have all of that.

Pitt has invested in its facilities, with a new, sold-out basketball arena and an arrangement with the Steelers for Heinz Field. Pitt also has a new football practice facility.

Pitt has rebounded nicely from past mismanagement in its administration and its athletic department and has been ranked in the top 15 in both football and men´s basketball, with two consecuitve bowl wins and two Sweet 16 finishes in the last two years.

Yet, neither the ACC nor the Big 10 want Pitt. In fact, I think both conferences would be happy if Pitt were to disband football altogether.

OSU and PSU will not schedule Pitt for any games for the forseeable future. Both scheuled Pitt when it was an easy win for them, but not now.

Maryland, Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State (among others) all recruit in Western Pennsylvania. Pitt also recruits Ohio, New Jersey and Florida. Without Pitt to recruit against these schools would have the WPIAL for themselves.

While Pitt´s academics fit in fine with both the ACC and the Big 10, the Big 10 isn´t interested in Pitt because they think that they have the Pittsburgh TV market locked up with Penn State. Also, they don´t want a championship game because 90% of the time OSU-Michigan IS the Big 10 championship game.

While Pitt is not that far from Maryland or UVA or Virginia Tech, the ACC doesn´t seem interested in Pitt because the ACC, which has very few big TV markets now (DC, Atlanta, South Florida - and those are shared with other conferences) must believe that Pitt won´t bring enough TV sets - or enough fans to travel - to make it worthwhile.

With BC soon to bolt for the ACC, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse and UConn migh as well merge with the best CUSA football schools and try to form a decent all sports conference that includes the Northeast, the Ohio Valley in Louisville and Cincinnati, University of South Florida, and maybe one or two other schools. Any way it is sliced, Pitt gets hurt.

The real solution is to have an NCAA with real authority.
The conferences have too much power now. There should be enough authority in the NCAA to approve or deny schools wanting to jump from one conference to another. There should be enough authority in the NCAA to negotiate a TV contract for all member schools instead of the conferences setting their own deals. The NCAA and not the conferences should decide who goes to what bowl game.

But it won´t happen. The big state universities are out to control college football, and they are well on their way.

I have ranted enough. I apologize if I bored anyone to tears with my whining. Good night.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:28 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Big East reps to meet as reports again swirl about Boston College
By ERIC CRAWFORD
ecrawford@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal
http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2003/10/01/spt-3-acc1001-3648.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Big East reps to meet as reports again swirl about Boston College
By ERIC CRAWFORD
ecrawford@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal
http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2003/10/01/spt-3-acc1001-3648.html

One inaccuracy in this article is the statement that the l;oss of BC would leave a hole in the Big East that would have to be filled in 2004 to meet the minimum membership requirements. With Temple remaining in the conference through 2004 & UConn joining for football in 2004, there will still be the minimum required 6 schools. The minimum of 8 goes into effect in 2005.

If BC does in fact leave I don't expect that it would be until 2005 anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:28 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Hi to all,

This is a great message board, I believe.

This entire ACC raid and subsequent events hurts the University of Pittsburgh the most, in my opinion.

The ACC wanted the biggest Big East markets along with Miami. Thus the reason for luring Syracuse and Boston College. Pitt is in a nice size market, but not the biggest. What's more, both the Big 10 and the ACC most likely believe that all of Pennsylvania is locked up for the Big 10 because of Penn State.

As it stands now, because the ACC's request for a conference championship with 11 teams was refused, the ACC will again go after Boston College. This time, BC will likely make it into the ACC.

Everyone knows that the Big 10 would like to have Notre Dame. Failing that, the Big 10 may want Syracuse in order to tap into the New York market. Both schools would bring more TV sets to the Big 10.

And where does that leave the Pitt Panthers?

Pitt is no small school. Pitt has about 20,000 students at its main campus in Oakland. Pitt has a School of Law, a School of Dentistry, a Graduate School of Business and a medical school. Penn State doesn´t have all of that.

Pitt has invested in its facilities, with a new, sold-out basketball arena and an arrangement with the Steelers for Heinz Field. Pitt also has a new football practice facility.

Pitt has rebounded nicely from past mismanagement in its administration and its athletic department and has been ranked in the top 15 in both football and men´s basketball, with two consecuitve bowl wins and two Sweet 16 finishes in the last two years.

Yet, neither the ACC nor the Big 10 want Pitt. In fact, I think both conferences would be happy if Pitt were to disband football altogether.

OSU and PSU will not schedule Pitt for any games for the forseeable future. Both scheuled Pitt when it was an easy win for them, but not now.

Maryland, Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State (among others) all recruit in Western Pennsylvania. Pitt also recruits Ohio, New Jersey and Florida. Without Pitt to recruit against these schools would have the WPIAL for themselves.

While Pitt´s academics fit in fine with both the ACC and the Big 10, the Big 10 isn´t interested in Pitt because they think that they have the Pittsburgh TV market locked up with Penn State. Also, they don´t want a championship game because 90% of the time OSU-Michigan IS the Big 10 championship game.

While Pitt is not that far from Maryland or UVA or Virginia Tech, the ACC doesn´t seem interested in Pitt because the ACC, which has very few big TV markets now (DC, Atlanta, South Florida - and those are shared with other conferences) must believe that Pitt won´t bring enough TV sets - or enough fans to travel - to make it worthwhile.

With BC soon to bolt for the ACC, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, Syracuse and UConn migh as well merge with the best CUSA football schools and try to form a decent all sports conference that includes the Northeast, the Ohio Valley in Louisville and Cincinnati, University of South Florida, and maybe one or two other schools. Any way it is sliced, Pitt gets hurt.

The real solution is to have an NCAA with real authority.
The conferences have too much power now. There should be enough authority in the NCAA to approve or deny schools wanting to jump from one conference to another. There should be enough authority in the NCAA to negotiate a TV contract for all member schools instead of the conferences setting their own deals. The NCAA and not the conferences should decide who goes to what bowl game.

But it won´t happen. The big state universities are out to control college football, and they are well on their way.

I have ranted enough. I apologize if I bored anyone to tears with my whining. Good night.

JW, welcome to the conversation. That's what this board is here for . . . an outlet for whining. ;D Up here in Connecticut, we feel your pain & believe that UConn has been hurt every bit as much as Pitt - as I'm sure they feel in Syracuse, West Virginia, & Rutgers. So let's look on the bright side. We'll welcome Louisville, Cincinnati, & one other - probably South Florida - & focus on being the best we can be. I think we'll continue to be fine & that this move will hurt BC more than it will the Big East. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JW, welcome to the fray!! Like FriarFan said, rant away; We're here for you! (Note: the person typing is an ACC fan first, BE fan second!)

Interesting points concerning the fate of your beloved Panthers, though I agree with FriarFan that there is some upside as well. In the short term, your school is well poised to reach two BCS bowls as the BE rep. UL and UC will be better regional opponents for you than Rutgers and Temple, and I'll trust the BE conference to pick up the additional school needed to reatin conference status. I also think the BE will retain its BCS status even without ND.

Best of CUSA? Actually, if the BE football schools were to split and go for 12 members, and assuming UL and UC are already on board, I think you'd be better off with the best of the MAC: Toledo, Miami (O), Marshall and NIU. NIU may be too far off, but otherwise I think those schools would respond well to moving up the conference ladder, plus you're still holding a more defined region, and one that suits Pitt near perfectly, I might add.

As for why the ACC "snubbed" Pitt - It had less to do with what Pitt is and more to do with what Syracuse and BC offered: Private schools, access to Miami and markets with less competition (ie, no PSU stigma.) Had there been no conditions defined by the Hurricanes, and had the ACC been wise enough to ascertain the lack of interest by SU, who knows. (Most ACC fans I know would've preferred UL over others)

As I've shown on "Rating #12 for ACC," Pitt would be a fine, and likely welcome addition. Just happens that others recieved the nod first. Best thing you can do now is keep winning, and give the OSU's and PSU's of the world even more reason not to schedule you!

Last edited by gunnerfan on Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next