NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:16 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=985&dept_id=161561&newsid=12531128&PAG=461&rfi=9

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting that this article reports that Temple is likely for Temple to land in CUSA. What's in it for CUSA to go to an unwieldy 13 team conference with the addition of Temple? Is the author hinting at continued instability in CUSA? Would the addition of Temple be a hedge against another future defection from CUSA?

As if CUSA wasn't already big enough, it would now extend from Philadelphia to El Paso!! :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:03 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

SunBelt is looking for a football-only member. Makes me think they might push for Temple. But then they will ruin the regionality they just created no? Or is it not that much a factor simply because it is only football?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe temple joins the CUSA along with Louisiana Tech. That way everyone is within their geography bounder.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:25 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

No indication as to which conferences really have been calling Temple. ??? However, I do not think the Big East wants Temple back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:20 pm 
When C-USA was looking for a number 12, and Temple was being talked about, Temple bb coach Chaney was balking about it, and expressed his continued desire to remain in the Atlantic 10.

Then, C-USA, even all-sports, looked as the best available, potential option for Temple. Somehow, it seems to just now register with Temple that indeed, they are being booted from the fb Big East.

The BE media day must have been a tense event, with Temple wanting to stay but being kicked out, and BC having to sit there and wishing they were already in Greensboro.

I agree with FriarFan, the El Paso to Philadelphia is a stretch from the northeast to the extreme southwest. When C-USA added UTEP, they reverted a bit again to the "geographical stretch". Somehow, by picking LA Tech instead, they could not stomach more geographic reasoning.

I am sure some non-BCS conferences have called Temple recently. They are probably not making offers, but garnering information on availability, resources, facilities, etc. They certainly would figure into the contingency plans of a couple of conferences pending unexpected departures or expansion.

Temple is geographically located between Army and Navy. Temple probably needs a conference for fb moreso than say, Navy, who claims they can handle being independent. However, the three as a group, may be of interest to some conference. But who?

Only the SunBelt and the Big East are hanging at 8 fb members each. C-USA and the MAC may want to stick with 12 for awhile. Maybe the writer got the SunBelt and C-USA confused ???!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder...

A-10 should approach BE about helping lower the 1-A standards, then perhaps the A-10 could "move up" without having to do anything. Temple could slide into the A-10, which would then see Villanova join the BE.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

After this week, the NCAA requirements for 1-A should become clearer. The 4 or 5 1-A home game rule will probably force Temple's hand.

Unless the MAC does offer the no-strings FB only membership, which I doubt, Temple just might land in the SUNBELT for the time being. It would probably be for 3-5 years or until Temple has a clearer idea of what they want to do with FB.

A marriage of convenience where both parties realize it is only temporary.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Gunnerfan, interesting point on BE and A10 cooperation, however, the BE is trying to prove its belongs with the other 5 BCS conferences and that is where the problem exist with Temple and BE membership.

It may be harsh, however, Temple has not proved it belongs with the 6 BCS conferences which are the real division 1 of college football.

Joining Conf USA, MAC, or Sun Belt is probably where Temple belongs because there is a different division or level of college football regardless if the NCAA has each conference classified as 1A.

Having all sports membership in the BE for Temple is not a valid point. Temple received tons of BE football money with nothing to show for concerning bowl partipation. Lack of Bowl partipation added to lack of TV interest and lack of fans in the stands.

Unlike some of the more deserving non BCS schools such as Marshall, Temple had a chance and did nothing to show it deserved to be in the big leagues.

No Bowl games as members of the BE is enough said to close the issue on Temple and Big East football membership.

I dont buy the argument that Rutgers has performed the same. Not true. As a major state university, Rutgers has helped with BE TV and has been on the tube many times during the last few years.

Temple has one last chance this year and the school better make a bowl or its mid major status for ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:30 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Given the BE revenue sharing model, Temple really hasn't gotten that many $ out of the BE. BE has been virtually winner take all. If you aren't in a bowl you don't get anything and if you aren't on TV you don't get much.

Temple is finally drawing about as well as Rutgers and they are dominating them on the field. The only advantage Rutgers has is that they are full members and have not been kept out by a neighbor (i.e. Villanova in Philly). Of course, if you only draw 17,000 fans that should get you considered to be kicked out. And 4 or 5 years ago, Temple did draw only 17,000 fans-for the entire season!!! They can say they have the biggest improvement in attendance over the last 4 or 5 years since they are now over 20k.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Temple and BE income. Yes, they got shares of the football money, but not equal shares nor were they part of the overall wealthier BE contracts to help balance the budget with their other sports as well. That being said, the institution has done a very poor job of managing their athletics, and as one poster put it it is a very telling sign that the school has to form a committee this late in their BE livlihood to ascertain what to do with their football program. Temple has the metro population, the good size school and a history of 1-A ball (meager though it be), and yet they don't seem capable or interested in maintaining the program.

Hopefully on result from all this will not only be athletic departments sharpening their financial prudence but also have conferences focusing on the long term viability of their member programs. I pray the BE can find a way to bring stable 1-A ball to at least one other northeastern, non-military institution.

Lash, with respect to the BE and the BCS I personally think the conference could add Hofstra and still keep that membership. (Two Hofstra's might be different!) There's enough pedigree at the top of the conference to hang with the big boys and enough difference between the BE and the other conferences to suggest they're at least the best option for #6. Long term I agree with those advocating regionalism, building from within and raising the local fan base.

As such, while I feel Villanova would be hard pressed to make a UConn-style instant impact, they at least have on-campus facilities and name recognition to suggest the most potential from the least amount of investment. Even if they up the stadium and attendance to 25k, that's right there with Duke, Vandy, etc. Plus they'd surely be an attractive opponent for Notre Dame on occassion and the military academies, which would likely help their draws. Just searching for options. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:26 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Villanova had their shot. They were given the same opportunity that UConn, St. Johns and Georgetown were: upgrade and you're in. Everyone turned it down except UConn. The ship has sailed.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Amen to that Quinn, its time for a colleges to realize that you want to be considered big time in college sports, then you got to commit to big time football as well.

The BE should just decide to leave the Philly market to Penn State and the Eagles.

Bullet, I disagree with your asseessment on Temple revenue and suggest your get some facts on how much money Temple has received. Granted the school has not shared the same revenue as Big East co champs Miami and WVU due to BE rewarding the top teams, however, Temple share was far more that teams like Marshall and Southern Miss have received over the last few years. Those teams have no problem competing in football.

Gunnerfan, I am sure the BE would thank you for your nice comments on taking 1AA teams would not hurt the BCS changes, however, the BE is making a big committment to ensure the conference remains among the elite. Everyone one of the new 8 members are going to be required to beef up OOC schedules and create programs to increase attendance.

As for Rutgers comparison to Temple, my opinion has always been that a major state university gets top marks due to potential support and assistance from the state. Primary reason the MWC will someday become part of the 6 BCS conferences.

Again if Temple does not reach a bowl this year, the BE will prove to be smart in removing the school so Temple can join a more suitable conference with similiar type support for major sports especially football.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Villanova had their shot. They were given the same opportunity that UConn, St. Johns and Georgetown were: upgrade and you're in. Everyone turned it down except UConn. The ship has sailed.

A - Villinova and the other private schools were given the same invitation as UConn, but obviously they did not have the same level of support, ability or faith to take advantage of that invite. I agree, they perhaps could have/ should have given the idea more insight, however.

B- Times have changed for the BE. The concept of the BE considering additional options suggests that standing still may not be in their best long-term interest. BCS or no BCS, the conference has the business-like responsibility to care for itself and in that respect there may be the need to do something more for football. This is merely one option worth reconsidering, IMO.

C- Is it safe to say the BE would accept Villanova football if they chose to upgrade now of their own volition? IMO, gleefully so.

As I've said before the BE may turn out to be perfectly fine as is for the next 100 years. This is just one man's speculation on a possible solution to a possible problem. S'all.