NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:53 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Wow. Lots of news postings since I last chimed in. Surprised I never reflected on Ga. State's position - Just goes to show you how lightly regarded their programs can be, I guess. Would they do better in a stronger league? Probably, and I imagine that their potential success in the ATL market would make them attractive.

Sounds as if the simplicity behind the possible CUSA/BE merger is starting to hit home, and is now a measure of working out the logistics and everyone getting comfortable with it. Face it, the both leagues would be in positions to cover the northeast and midwest - Lots of great TV markets there. And there could be early season old BE vs. new BE challenge in bball to keep the rivalries going.

The question for this scheme becomes how to fit in the CUSA southern teams. Surely the merger won't maintain a 17 team all-sport league, and we've all offered our thoughts on which schools should aid this plan by moving on their own. One article suggests Army may do its part by going independent like Navy. Wise move, all things considered, I think.

Keeping with the theme of this board, I'm sticking to my guns; as a whole this type of merger would be in the best interest of the BE schools. Every gets the best of what they want with acceptible costs. Even ND.

Which Could help the ACC too - Big 10 may not expand without ND, meaning neither they nor the Pac 10 may pursue fb title games. Less competition for ACC championship game, then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I prefer the title of Great Convergence or, from the Dark Crystal, the Great Conjunction! I wonder how hard it will be for the ACC schools to now watch all this from the sidelines, knowing they may still end up needing one more school. And given the new statements that suggest the actions for CUSA and the BE are lined up for the 2005 season, there will be little time for the ACC to see who's left over before entering the BCS negotiations. That being the case, a premise of BCS expansion may leave some schools even less inclined to join the ACC if a refined BE, CUSA and MWC all appear BCS locks. In theory, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:27 pm 
BlackGold and Gunnerfan,As per my previous posts,the BE has identified its first domino by the end of July when it announced yesterday that UConn would enter the BE in 2004.
It is also my understanding that in the upcoming BE meeting which will include both the BE FB and BB schools,the BB schools will again push for the institution of some form of Dave Gavitt's plan. Although I understand that the BE FB schools favor a separate FB league with either 8 or 12 schools nothing has been formally approved to date.If the bb schools cannot persuade the FB schools to remain there could be a messy fight over naming rights and compensation amounts.
Either way,barring litigation, I expect both sides to agree on the future structure of the BE by the end of this summer if not before.At that time,the discussions of additional members will heat up,with Louisville and Cincinnati being the frontrunners for the FB side. It should be very interesting to observe whether it is called part of the so-called "big bang" or "great convergence".
Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:07 pm 
Blackgold,thanks for your recent posts.It appears that we are in agreement with Mr.Goldberg in regards to the idea that the BE has yet to formally decide on the form of its future structure. Most if not all options appear to be still on the table pending the next "full" BE meeting.
Perhaps in your digging you can determine the date of the aforementioned meeting?Good luck as always.Comments?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:49 am 
BlackGold,thanks for your latest post.It appears that BE reconstruction is in a slight lull.I understand that the next "full" BE meeting has yet to be scheduled.However,it is my understanding that situation will soon change.Good luck in your digging.Comments?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:13 pm 
BlackGold,thanks for the latest posts. Good work.
I agree that the upcoming "showdown" between the BE FB and bb schools should prove interesting. Determining if the FB and bb schools will vote as solid blocks and how ND will vote will be key in trying to figure out what the future BE structure will be.Good luck in your digging during this apparent lull. Comments?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next