NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Delaware is a happy member of CAA/A-10 and is not going anywhere .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Why does everyone think the Big East foot print has to be limited to teams north of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Ohio River?

ACC now stretches from New England to south Florida (some regional footprint), Big 10 stretches from Iowa to the East Coast, Big 12 stretches from Iowa to south Texas actually taking the footprint of three conferences, Pac 10 stretches from Tucson to Seattle, every tried driving from Arizona to Seattle. I have and it is no regional foot print.

So for Big East expansion to occur for additional football schools a split would have to take place unless the Big East comes to its senses and force Notre Dame to join.

There is not reason the Big East has to limit it schools to a small eastern foot print with the other 5 BCS conferences all stretch from one end of the country to another.

I dont see Delaware as a good canidate at all. Minor sports bring nothing to the table. A split would and should require schools to have good varsity sports.

UMass could be a good canidate, however, no ininitive to expand and create a new stadium. If UMass could move to south, a new stadium would be in the works yesterday. It just a southern priority in football.

So Memphis would be my first pick. Its not out of true BCS conference footprint that by the way picks markets and not regions for footprint.

After Memphis to bring the conference to nine, Central Florida continues to have long term potential.

I think the BE football schools should split and take Memphis for 9.

It is the only solution for the football schools.

Unless and a big unless Notre Dame is forced to join. The conference could simply add a rule that any school playing 1A sport that is a conference sport must have partipiation from that school for that sport period!!!!!

If not its by by and hello 9 team all sports conference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Why does everyone think the Big East foot print has to be limited to teams north of the Mason Dixon line and east of the Ohio River?

I do think you know the answer to that one, Lash, or at least would pick up on it with a little musing... though the way to say it is that a good number of people who populate this particular board have a certain agenda or two they're forwarding.

Quote:
I dont see Delaware as a good canidate at all. Minor sports bring nothing to the table. A split would and should require schools to have good varsity sports.

I would tend to agree, but there's a lot of little things we could talk about, especially in that north-of-Mason-Dixon region, which makes me hedge. I think the evolution of the region is towards even less football, which generally leads to retrenchment of athletic programs (basketball can be a cash cow under perfect circumstances, but offers limited growth to a single institution)... under this screwy little hypothesis, Delaware has the potential to leapfrog some schools in the region. Of course, I sometimes tend to think in terms of the geologic time scale- this is not a 5-year plan IMO.

One more little edit- need I remind you that Delaware is just barely south of the M-D?

Last edited by pounder on Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Pounder, the US Census agrees with you as well and considers Delaware a southern state. Depending on what the team southern means, the south to me starts at the VA/NC border. Lots of ole Virginia residents would disagree.

Back to the Big East and Mike T thread.

What would happen if the Big East decided that MIke T has been working way to hard and deserves and few months off to hang out at the beach.

Lash is brouht in as the temporary Big East commish with his new get tough policy on Big East membership.

First thing on Lash agenda, set down with Notre Dame and determine a date for football membership or a date to leave the conference.

Notre Dame says take a hike Lash as I we have basketball schools voting with us so you cant kick us out.

Lash calls in each of the basketball schools and gets a confirmation on standings with Notre Dame non football membership status.

Georgetown do you have any objections, then George Washington could be nice replacement for the DC market. Georgetown your in my court now and believe Notre Dame should join. Thanks for the vote.

Villanova, thanks for the vote of confidence as we all know you want to eventually play Big East football.

Seton Hall, any objections here, well less just say we have New Jersey convered with a football team.

St Johns, got to beleive you will support the football schools and for that will always have a place in the Big East football conference regardless if you dont play football.

Providence, I will leave this up to Friarfan.

Marquette/Depaul, please dont give me any problems as you have one foot in and one foot out at the moment.

Ok now the vote is taken care of and dont think any basketball schools want to leave, please have Notre Dame brought back in.

Well what's it going to be Notre Dame? I dont have much patience and you have until January 31 to decide or a two year exit play sounds about fair on time lines.

Better call the Big 10 or ACC to determine if you have any options available.

Just as always thought thanks for joining the Big East asnd look foreward to many years of all sports competation in the Big East. We understand that a complete Big East football schedule cant be made until 2009. Thats OK we can live with that and welcome to the football conference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

One more little edit- need I remind you that Delaware is just barely south of the M-D?

Technically it's "north". The line takes a 90 degree turn south in Eastern PA and follows the MD-Del state line down the Eastern Shore.

Last edited by westwolf on Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder whether Louisville and Cincinnati continue to support Memphis as a BE member. Except for geography, Memphis is probably the best all around candidate, given Umass' lack of financial backing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I certainly enjoyed the Georgia Tech - Syracuse game, Lash.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
I certainly enjoyed the Georgia Tech - Syracuse game, Lash.

Whew! :o Not good for the Big East.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Delaware is a happy member of CAA/A-10 and is not going anywhere .

Sadly this is true. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Providence, I will leave this up to Friarfan.

Lash, you've got my vote. Do what has to be done! ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

good number of people who populate this particular board have a certain agenda or two they're forwarding.

Moi?! :o Surely you jest! ;)

. . . and don't call me Shirley. ;D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Technically it's "north". The line takes a 90 degree turn south in Eastern PA and follows the MD-Del state line down the Eastern Shore.

Very erudite young man, that Westwolf. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Westwolf, I am sure you enjoyed the Ga Tech/Syracuse game. The Big East will be back about as fast as your Terps get back. With Va Tech, no sure MD can be a top team any longer in the ACC. Oh well, enjoy your 12 team alignment.

Speaking of Ga Tech, have to provide congrats to Gunnerfan. Must be nice being a fan of school that always tends to do good in bowls. No matter if favored as last night or underdog.

Notre Dame fans must really be envious of Ga Tech as the school is on the opposite side of the bowl winning percentage.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A major problem with BE football is the failure to hire big time 1A HC.A proven winner as a HC at Pitt or Syracuse would certainly help BE football.Getting rid of the ND special pseudo membership would not help the BE in football.The way it stands both ND and the BE have separate BCS inclusion.ND joins with BE bowl arrangements.The only weak spot is not playing the full BE svhedule.Hopefully,as Mike T. said by Feb 2005 it will be clear ND will be up to 3 BE games per year for football.This will also BE tv by giving it tv expsure weith ND.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If nobody's watching Notre Dame on TV, is it really exposure?

Will a big name HC ever again sign on with schools with a stadium capacity smaller than 70,000? Well, I'm sure there's a technical "yes" answer to that question, but I'd like to bring out my drinking buddies Exception and Rule for the resulting demonstration.

Pitt and Syracuse are going to lose 99% of all competitions for big name HCs because the money. Isn't. There.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next