Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:53 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:22 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:

Add Marshall, Army and Navy, swap WVU for BC and you have a decent FB league and a strong hoops lineup. At least that's the way I would do it.

WVU would never let Marshall in. They have been less than impressive of late anyways)

BC is joining the ACC in 2005. WVU, the best team in the BE this year won't get booted. End of story.

Army/Navy: for FB only membership, perhaps. But both schools WANT to be independant so they can control their own scheduling. It's why Navy turned down CUSA multiple times and why Army is gone.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:22 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Temple Article in USA TODAY

http://collegesportsinfo/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Several of you have mentioned Marshall as a prospective Big East member but didn't the just join CUSA for the coming year?

I doubt they would be leaving so soon.

Ric

Thanks for all your responses. I would like to see Temple stay as a Division 1 school. If ever John Chaney leaves, perhaps their basketball program will be allowed to join the Big East. He is the one who objects from what I can understand.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:42 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Several of you have mentioned Marshall as a prospective Big East member but didn't the just join CUSA for the coming year?

Ric

You must not be paying attention.
If a BCS conference comes calling to a non-BCS team, that team will take the offer in a minute, no matter the time or place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:53 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Ric

Thanks for all your responses. I would like to see Temple stay as a Division 1 school. If ever John Chaney leaves, perhaps their basketball program will be allowed to join the Big East. He is the one who objects from what I can understand.

Villanova is the reason Temple isn't in the Big East for basketball.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:31 pm 
Earth,

except that the BE is no longer a BCS team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Earth,

except that the BE is no longer a BCS team.

I assume you are joking, even without a smiley face.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:18 pm 
They're a mid major with MWC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:08 pm 
The speculation is Temple may get a football only MAC invitation. This may provide a fb home for the next moment, but it does not resolve Temple's situation for the long term. This fb only arrangement was a negative for Temple in the BE. Had Temple been an All Sports BE member, would have they been booted? Probably not.

The Atlantic 10 is respectable, but certainly not so elite that it should prevent Temple for securing an eventual All Sports home. Coach Chaney publically dissing C-USA when Temple was being pondered as an addition was not good judment, when examining the need of the entire Temple sports program.

It is obvious Temple had a weakness when their sports establishment is not speaking through one voice or a uniform message. Also, Temple has been slow to formally study its athletic future.

Temple, if going to the MAC, may need to take their ENTIRE sports program into the conference. Actually, the MAC produces two or three highly respectable bb teams each year. Temple needs continuity, conference wise, and cultivate further trans-sport and consistent rivalries. Temple was never fully embraced by the BE, whether that is the prime fault of Villanova or not. Objecting to geographically close bb teams was ridiculous (In the ACC, Duke and UNC are only about 7 miles apart; and NCSU is close too).

The MAC should also seriously consider moving a couple of teams out of the conference, the ones that are not keeping up with attendance criteria for 1-A.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

The MAC should also seriously consider moving a couple of teams out of the conference, the ones that are not keeping up with attendance criteria for 1-A.

Absolutely. Let's start cutting the fluff in IA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:55 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The MAC adding Temple for fb only: Is that the joke???

The MAC is not that stupid. If they needed a 12th team maybe, but they don't want 13. And if they add them who would be #14? Ark. ST.? MTSU? Both of them make more geographic sense in the Sun Belt. UMass?

I just don't think the MAC is that stupid. It sounds like wishful thinking on the Temple people who are desparate for a home.

Now Temple for all sports is a VERY different subject. The MAC would find a 14th somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Any speculation out there?

John Chaney would probably never say "I want football dead so more resources are devoted to basketball." However, I suspect he's thinking exactly that. Some people are rapturously provincial that way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:15 pm 
Navy and Army are federal institutions with unique recruiting procedures and maintain historical name prestigue for whom they are. They (inclusive of Army who will return to independent fb status) enjoy the independent scheduling in football, so they will be able to play the Colgates and Delawares along with the Notre Dames and Tulanes. Bowls do need to keep a few open spots so these teams may be assured of post season placement when they have excellent regular seasons. Noting that a few conferences may not fill all their bowl slots, perhaps there is future hope.

Notre Dame has its own TV package and BCS avenue. They are still profiting moreso being independent.

Temple, on the other hand, will have trouble staying football independent in 1-A. Scheduling home games with big name opponents will be a greater task. Temple will manage to get lucrative road games with tough opponents, but getting their commitments for return games to Philadelphia may be more of a challenge. At least current and former "road warriors" such as Troy, LA Tech, Southern Miss, etc. are assured of home conference games. And in the case of Southern Miss, Cal was a scheduled home opponent for them. Temple is not going to be a successful "road warrior" without a conference base to build up their home attendance and fans. Plus, they will miss out on conference revenue sharing and only get on TV when traveling, and the opponent is the feature.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:29 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

If Temple could get a MAC football-only invote, it wouldn't be a bad thing for the MAc or Temple.

Temple gets a football home.

The MAC gets a team to offset any potential dpeartures, but more importnatly, exposure for their schools in the Philadelphia market and the wast coast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Temple could land in the MAC for fb only....along with a possible Army....I could definitely see Army and Temple competing well with the MAC schools...and more with northern and mid-western teams...Army and Temple would become more competitive...

If Temple doesn't land in the MAC, i could see a Sunbelt invite approaching...the SunBelt is interested in a 9th I-A football member...and Temple needs some teams that it could compete with...it might help draw some interest in Temple fans once the Owls start picking up 5 or 6 wins with a Sun Belt Schedule...2 years from now we'll all know what's goin on i believe...