NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Wow, sandwiched between ACC and Conf USA fans can get a reaction every time. So predictable.

Assumming the nation will continue to hype the ACC in both football and basketball just to be proven wrong in both sports, sooner or latter got to come down to earth as post expansion is losing its momentum. Now the trick is to prove on the field. The media is going to get tired of being wrong including ACC's ESPN/ABC network.

Even the die hard ACC fans paid by ESPN are starting to say the Big East was maybe better than the ACC. Talking about being objective.

The other side of the sandwich is Conf USA. Expanding to 20 or 40 teams is not going to make you better.

Bullet, Miami left the conference last year as a tie with WVU and if you recall a forth down catch by Miami (great catch) or WVU would have been undefeated in conference play. We both need to be a little objective when presenting facts.

Westwolf, you would vote for the ACC if the Lakers and Suns were in playoff with the ACC. If Maryland gets a bid this year for beating Duke, guess I will have to eat my hat or maybe just wait until they face Syracuse, Pitt, Villanova or one of the newbees and fall out of the NCAAA braket.

BCHokie, first of all congrats on both football and basketball season.

I think most fans of the Big East finally realize that Miami officals were the root of all this mess.

Best of Luck in the ACC. If I prefered 12 team conferences would agree that WVU would have been the better team for 12.

This was always my pick for the old Big East.

Va Tech, WVU, Miami, Syracuse, Pitt, UConn, Rutgers, BC, and Louisville.

This 9 team alignment would have blew the sox off the old 9 team ACC. Oh geezs, they did this year in football. Guess we will never now about basketball until the ACC and Big East challenge is renewed. Especially since the Big East has a habit of making the NCAA finals by getting past ACC teams in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:10 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Now back to the ACC...

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash,

I didn't say MD deserved to make the NCAA's. They'll either earn that or forfeit it over the next 6 weeks. I just said line your best 12 up against the ACC next year and we'll see. The Big 10 found out, no thanks to MD losing to Wisconsin.

Board,

I agree that the Pitt-WV-Cinc-Lou group should make for good rivalries and should remain intact. BC would have made a great rivalry for UConn (no taunting). Maybe UMass can upgrade. I don't see the BE re-admitting Temple. UCF lends balance, at least geographically. It's just hard to get excited about ECU.

Lash,

I'm leaving ACC country now for 4 weeks in MWC land. Not much going on out there now; Utah is the only BB school getting votes, and there's no premier FB anymore with Utah's coach and QB hot-footing it (Western term) out of town. Thank God, there's DirecTv and skiing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Desperately, Lash? How you go on at times. The ACC doesn't desparately need any outside BB program given its normal 4-5 teams in the top 25. Now, I don't go around knocking the fine BB programs of the BE and NBE, but line your best 12 up against the ACC, and I'd bet on our boys to win at least 7.

Well, they've lined up 6 times this year & the Big East is 5-1. It will only get tougher next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
BC was only in the ACC bc of the Boston market. Also they had the best football and bb team combo in the BE. But I think Temple would have been better for the ACC, fits the Duke/Wake model of school, good hoops, rival for Maryland, and would have brought the Philadelphia market which is larger than Boston.

The ACC wanted BC for the national championship caliber hockey program.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:23 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

<<The ACC wanted BC for the national championship caliber hockey program. >>

Absolutely! And Lacrosse is why the ACC really wanted Syracuse instead of VT.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:30 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As Westwolf does point out, the ACC is well represented in the top 25. They don't desparately need anyone in bb. That's why they took football schools. They did need an upgrade in football, but they were still ahead of the BE even before.

The BE had recovered in bb, even if the I-AAA privates are still struggling. The NBE does look very big in bb with Louisville, Cincy, DePaul & Marquette added to SU, Pitt and UConn (along with previous powers GT, SJ & Villanova). And the Friars and SH have been holding up their end in recent years (not necessarily this year).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash, I actually stand with you on the comments regarding how the conventional BE members had better years in football last year compared to historic ACC members. I'll add one caveat: Who's to say what the records of Pitt, VT and Louisville had been if they and everyone else were aligned as you'd shown. I'll contend Pitt wouldn't have finished as highly and either VT or Louisville gets another loss. The you get into the idea VT never played FSU... it's all speculation and moot now, anyway.

Is it safe to say, however, that apart from the politics and the BC move that each football conference has achieved a more pure state? Many ACC fans like myself started our member wish-list with VT, feeling their fans would buy into the Tobacco Road mentality and spur more fan support for football. Seems that guess was dead-on.

I also spoke of a fear that Miami fans would practically counter that effect. While their team spurred sell-outs at ACC road games, their fickle fans almost let the Peach Bowl experience something it hadn't seen since moving to the ACC-SEC set-up: A non sell-out! Their affinity for basketball has improved, apparently, though I'm sure a lot of that is due to good play as well.

This just in: No one conference is perfect, at least not all the time. The Big 10 can have scandals, the SEC can produce lackluster football and the ACC can go through it's doldrums in basketball and football. The BE has had it's highs and lows too, and will do so again. Now we're stuck with BC while BE fans aren't. The questions remaining have to address the future from here on out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:38 am 
Whatever the arguements are between what current and former BE teams can beat ACC teams in either fb or bb, the point is the ACC is done in terms of what they extracted from the BE as far as teams go. Individual teams in both conferences will be up or down in any given years.
I am just waiting to hear from Tigershark2 again, about Notre Dame committing to all these BE fb games and bringing the BE to glorious levels never witnessed previously ;)!
All you folks keep at it, get the Irish into a conference!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:24 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

There was an article somewhere on here talking about ND wanting to play in NY. And they said they wanted to play more BE foes. Although contrary to TS2, ND wasn't willing to make any committment, only a desire to play more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

It is obvious. Miami lost 3 games in the ACC after crusing through the BE except for their probation years.
On the football field, the ACC proved it is clearly superior. And improving their strength at the top with VT and Miami makes it an "A" for football.

If you are going to use Miami as the standard, why not use Virginia Tech as the standard as they won the ACC? Isnt is interesting that VT was only 11-10 in the last 3 years of the BE having lost 3 in a row to Pitt and 2 in a row to WVU prior to this past year.

So, because VT only went 11-10 in the last 3 years in the BE and this past year they win the ACC does that mean the ACC was weak? NO, but you get my point.....

Expansion in the ACC definetely gets an A. The first thing they wanted to accomplish was to maintian the same or similar payouts to previous years. Second, they created a 'buzz' (manufactured by ESPN or not) that got the college FB community to talk about them. That buzz will continue for years to come.

BB will get deeper when BC comes next year. The only drawback I see is that some of the BB home and homes will be saccrificed to get FB beefed up.

just my 2 cents