NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:32 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
Since the latest conversation is about the ACC going to 3 divisions of 5 wouldn't it make more sense that the conference in question would be the the ACC with UConn joining BC, Syracuse, Pitt, and VT/Louisville in a North Division?

Connecticut definitely seems more like an ACC school than a B1G school to me. If they left the American for the ACC or B1G, the American would have 11 football schools remaining. Would Navy stay? I think so. They would get games in Florida and Texas every year. I think Massachusetts would get the call-up in that situation though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

It will be interesting to see what happens with the AAC. I agree with the fact that the conference will be fine as long as their is not a all out grab all P5 conference to get to 15 teams (3 pod thing) as the ACC thought is leading. Yes I can see UConn to ACC if ND doesn't got for FB. Yes I also agree that UMass would be the top candidate due to market and good BB school. I am also interested in seeing if the AAC adds a non-FB school to offset Navy and get to 12 in BB as well. If so Wichita State would be a great add. Losing UConn would be huge, but adding Wichita State and UMass would be big adds in BB. However if they did not want to go to 12 BB schools then I could see the American not replacing UConn with a all sports school, instead invite Army as a FB only invite as well and the Army Navy Game could then be a conference game every year. And AAC would have a 10 team BB league.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I've toyed with the idea of non-football schools becoming part of the American but I just don't see that happening. The members who were part of the 2005-2012 Big East were all burned by basketball schools who put their own interests over the greater good of the conference and they don't want a repeat of that experience. Also, consider that almost the entire American was part of C-USA, who expelled two good basketball schools in 2005--St Louis and Charlotte, because they wanted a league where every member played football.

I also don't think its a guarantee that UMass just automatically gets the nod if UConn leaves. The only friend they have in the American is Temple. I see the American replacing them with a C-USA school that is more geographically compatible with the rest of the conference. UTSA is my personal pick but they might add Rice, USM, or maybe even Charlotte.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Marshall supposedly was under consideration by the old Big East before the breakup - they are very much in the AAC footprint, and the recent football success can't hurt.

South Alabama also was rumored to have talked with the Big East, right before Tulane was invited. I don't think the AAC would invite them unless if it took significant losses, but Mobile is a decent-sized market right in the middle of the AAC's southern contingent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:25 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
I've toyed with the idea of non-football schools becoming part of the American but I just don't see that happening. The members who were part of the 2005-2012 Big East were all burned by basketball schools who put their own interests over the greater good of the conference and they don't want a repeat of that experience. Also, consider that almost the entire American was part of C-USA, who expelled two good basketball schools in 2005--St Louis and Charlotte, because they wanted a league where every member played football.

I also don't think its a guarantee that UMass just automatically gets the nod if UConn leaves. The only friend they have in the American is Temple. I see the American replacing them with a C-USA school that is more geographically compatible with the rest of the conference. UTSA is my personal pick but they might add Rice, USM, or maybe even Charlotte.

No hybrid. The American is an all sports conference except with an Associate Team for FB only aka Navy.

Nothing is automatic for UMass but if UConn leaves if there is realignment after the CURRENT TV contracts and the current GOR expire. They would seriously be considered as a regional partner for Temple who already has a prior relationship with them through the A-10. Their BB would be a plus and the New England market would remain for TV purposes. Football is improving with Whipple back and they are now solid with a full compliment of scholarships for FB. They need to continue with up grades to their FB stadium and get to a seating capacity of at least 25k on campus if not 30k with the continued ability to move a high end P5 game to Gillette once a year. They would also have support from Navy regionally for admission. Army would be another NE choice but they aren't coming as of now. If Marshall continues with their success then they would be a decent regional add too surrounded by Memphis, Cinn, Temple, Navy, and ECU. They would be third on the list in that area though. The American would not go past 12 schools for FB though because of the CFP money which only goes up to $12 million or one million per team. If the G5 could get a bump in that money to 14 schools with the other P5 conferences going to 14, 15, and 16 team conferences I could see the following American Conference with the loss of UConn to the ACC/B-10/B-12, and possibly Cinn to the B-12:

Temple, UMass, Army, Navy, Marshall, Memphis, ECU
USF, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Houston + another SE or SW regional school

Mix and match the 7 team divisions which ever way you want, N-S, E-W, Zipper, for FB depending on Army and Navy and their desire to play in the SE and SW for academy recruiting purposes.

If UConn and Cinn remain with out further alignment and the American expands for TV contract purposes with the possibility of picking up an additional 2 million dollars CFP money to $14 million to be distributed evenly, then Army and UMass would be great NE adds for future TV contracts. You would have 14 schools for FB and 12 schools for BB. My guess would be that the conference would stay status quo for the time being though especially with the P5's refusing to share more their share of the egg from the golden goose with the G5 schools they are trying to bury without the government stepping in with anti-trust legislation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tulane is getting quite a reputation for cancelling away games late on schools. The latest is with Mississippi State in 2016, the last of a 7-game series. Miss. State will have to be paid $350,000, cheap considering. Tulane has done late cancellations before with Clemson, Georgia, and some confusion with what they had scheduled with Georgia Tech. Tulane did, though, just sign a two game series with Kentucky. They also have future games further out with Oklahoma and Ole Miss scheduled.

Scheduling options for MSU for 2016 replacement: (some help from ESPN?)

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor ... /28223069/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
Marshall supposedly was under consideration by the old Big East before the breakup - they are very much in the AAC footprint, and the recent football success can't hurt.

South Alabama also was rumored to have talked with the Big East, right before Tulane was invited. I don't think the AAC would invite them unless if it took significant losses, but Mobile is a decent-sized market right in the middle of the AAC's southern contingent.

It's weird seeing those names and not USM or UAB (before things blew up). I've wondered who had it out for them, or, rather, who didn't want them on the same line as themselves. Schools like Louisville, Memphis, and West Virginia come to mind, but Memphis was stiffed for so long that they wouldn't be the guilty party, and it takes more than one or two schools to make any sort of block (unless you're the CAA and you let Hofstra have its tantrum about Stony Brook).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sec03 wrote:
Tulane is getting quite a reputation for cancelling away games late on schools. The latest is with Mississippi State in 2016, the last of a 7-game series. Miss. State will have to be paid $350,000, cheap considering. Tulane has done late cancellations before with Clemson, Georgia, and some confusion with what they had scheduled with Georgia Tech. Tulane did, though, just sign a two game series with Kentucky. They also have future games further out with Oklahoma and Ole Miss scheduled.

Scheduling options for MSU for 2016 replacement: (some help from ESPN?)

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/spor ... /28223069/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I totally understand why Tulane cancelled. It was a really old contract and games kept getting pushed back. Even with the buyout, Tulane can go out and get paid in the neighborhood of $1 million to play at another Power 5 school and pocket $650,000. Who doesn't want $650,000?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

It's weird seeing those names and not USM or UAB (before things blew up). I've wondered who had it out for them, or, rather, who didn't want them on the same line as themselves. Schools like Louisville, Memphis, and West Virginia come to mind, but Memphis was stiffed for so long that they wouldn't be the guilty party, and it takes more than one or two schools to make any sort of block (unless you're the CAA and you let Hofstra have its tantrum about Stony Brook).

USM and UAB didn't get invites to the American because the American ran out of room. I don't think anyone intentionally blocked them I think the schools left in the old Big East/American just went down the list starting with the most valuable C-USA schools and those schools (as well as Marshall, Rice, and UTEP) were at the bottom of that list

Expansion is a little different now than it was in past decades. It's now all about markets and television. Look at how C-USA went about replacing the schools they lost. FAU and FIU are not what you call elite football programs--usually they have losing records and are near the bottom of the Sunbelt standings but they got in because of their TV market and Florida recruiting while some of the best Sunbelt schools--Arkansas St and ULL were left behind. Schools in lousy markets like USM are going to struggle to get picked up by better conferences.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 353, 354, 355, 356, 357