NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think the "who'd the AAC target" obviously depends on who they lose.

Here's the thing. If the AAC loses TWO members, ESPN can kill the TV deal. If that happens, the AAC is going to go for TV markets.

I think Charlotte is actually gonna be a big target. And maybe UMass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tony Barnhart article discussing AAC/Big 12 expansion situation at http://gridironnow.com/big-12-expansion-aac-mike-aresco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Pete Thamel piece (previously posted in another thread) discussing Big 12 expansion situation and possible impact on the AAC at http://www.campusrush.com/aac-big-12-ex ... 47135.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

AAC MB thread discussing possible league reactions to any future Big 12 expansion at http://csnbbs.com/thread-786829.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Manchester discussing report that UConn "may" decide to leave the AAC even if they do not get a Big 12 invite.Link at http://www.journalinquirer.com/report-b ... 5e64d.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

At first, I'm wondering "why ?"

They must figure that the AAC may lose too many of their eastern rivals, and end up re-stocking with CUSA schools (primarily south and west).
UConn would prefer to be in a high-profile eastern conference.
If Cincy, Houston, Memphis leave, would UMass, UConn, and Temple RATHER join the A-10 ???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It's possible the AAC can lose a member, no matter who, and stand pat at that number. It won't make everyone happy, but it can keep things status quo. It all depends on who is snatched out of there, but, it's possible.

Supposing it's only Cincinnati and BYU taken, does the loss make the MWC that much more enticing to the western schools (UH, SMU, and Tulsa)? Assuming the AAC contract doesn't reset because of that one departure, I'm curious what a super-size MWC can even make for itself. And, wouldn't less AAC schools mean more money per the remaining members?

Things go crazy once the AAC loses more than one, though. 2-3 departures reset the contract, with all likely to get less out of it. That's where the MWC may get bigger, and that's where the MAC can make some gains (if it wants to), while the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt unleash the blazes on each other. Like, if it's Cincy and UH, I think SMU works like mad to leave for the MWC, and maybe Tulsa goes with them. Navy can probably leave freely whenever it wants, and without that western front, it does. Temple and UConn have a lot of soul-searching to do thereafter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I think UConn might be hoping that they can get into the Big East for Olympic sports and then possibly revive the old system of eastern independents or piece together a football conference and find a conference banner to sponsor it. UConn, UMass, Temple, Navy, and Army would provide a nice core to build around and provide quality competition that people would want to watch on tv. You really only need 3 more to reach 8 and have "league" status. From the FBS ranks perhaps a Buffalo or Marshall could be lured away from their current homes. NIU has a history of thinking of themselves as better than the MAC--perhaps they'd move their Olympic sports into the Summit in order to participate in this football association. There are also quite a few FCS possibilities that would fit the mold--Villanova (in exchange for letting Temple in the BE), Stony Brook (very ambitious program), James Madison, Delaware, Richmond, and Youngstown St.

The other thought is that they could try to sell to the MAC that a pairing of UConn and UMass/Temple would bring enough worth to their tv contract to cover splitting revenues 14 ways. Or heck, get crazy and include all 3 and then either James Madison to try and crack into DC or Stonybrook for NYC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Agree - losing one (1) school (I guess the rumors would lead you to think it'd be Cincy or Houston) shouldn't be THAT traumatic.
I think the AAC would pull in UMass and move on. UConn shouldn't freak out over that.

If however, the Big XII went to 14 and added BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincy, the loss of those 3 schools would sort of "gut" AAC football.
ESPN might downgrade the AAC to CUSA money (nest to nuthin'...).

This would have zero effect on the MWC.

Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane might now feel a bit isolated. Would they be happier back in CUSA ?

The East Coast remnants of AAC would be: UConn, Temple, ECU, UCF, USF, and Navy (FB only).
I could see them looking to UMass, Army (FB only), James Madison, ODU, UNC-Charlotte, maybe Marshall....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

CUSA doesn't make enough to even poach a sunbelt team imo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Agree - losing one (1) school (I guess the rumors would lead you to think it'd be Cincy or Houston) shouldn't be THAT traumatic.
I think the AAC would pull in UMass and move on. UConn shouldn't freak out over that.

If however, the Big XII went to 14 and added BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincy, the loss of those 3 schools would sort of "gut" AAC football.
ESPN might downgrade the AAC to CUSA money (nest to nuthin'...).

This would have zero effect on the MWC.

Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane might now feel a bit isolated. Would they be happier back in CUSA ?

The East Coast remnants of AAC would be: UConn, Temple, ECU, UCF, USF, and Navy (FB only).
I could see them looking to UMass, Army (FB only), James Madison, ODU, UNC-Charlotte, maybe Marshall....

The question I would have is that would Navy prefer to go back to the independent ranks in football. I think the mwc may debate possibly taking a AAC western school should they want to replace Hawaii with a all sports school.
If we add all the schools you mentioned minus Army and Navy we would have a 10 team conference. Maybe if they try and get buffalo and coastal Carolina they could split North and South.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:32 am 
Freshman
Freshman

They should hedge their bets against big 12 raid and add 4 teams to the AAC
West rice & southern miss and east army & umass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)with Big 12 expansion status which "may" have future implications for conferences "like" the AAC. Link at http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... sion-talks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

Is there anything the conference can do to keep Houston?

Didn't the MWC gave Boise a special deal to stay?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Nothing is going to keep a G5 school from jumping to P5. If you were a G5 school, wouldn't you do anything for an extra $25 million/year or so ?
UConn wouldn't hesitate to jump to the Big XII if offered, even though the bulk of the league is out in the plains states...

Boise State was in the WAC, then committed to join the Big East, when it seemed they still had an automatic bid into the BCS Bowls.
That disintegrated.
Boise wanted to bail on the BE, but then had to pay a big exit fee. So the MWC re-structured their money distribution to favor schools that appeared on TV more often.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361