NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 346, 347, 348, 349, 350
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:18 pm 
Senior
Senior

You are right in that the MWC is more stable right now. But most of that comes from the fact that they were not hit by expansion like the AAC, C-USA, and SBC. MWC for the most part had some schools that thought about leaving but then changed their mind. Yes MWC is a very good conference, but I still have to give the edge to the AAC as the best conference within the Go5 currently. Now if more expansion occurs things may change, but the AAC has a very good membership and has a year in year out National BB contender with UConn, and year in year out contender for the Big Bowl game with ECU and UCF (Currently).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
You are right in that the MWC is more stable right now. But most of that comes from the fact that they were not hit by expansion like the AAC, C-USA, and SBC. MWC for the most part had some schools that thought about leaving but then changed their mind. Yes MWC is a very good conference, but I still have to give the edge to the AAC as the best conference within the Go5 currently. Now if more expansion occurs things may change, but the AAC has a very good membership and has a year in year out National BB contender with UConn, and year in year out contender for the Big Bowl game with ECU and UCF (Currently).

They were hit hard by realignment, though. They lost their top three football schools, in so losing one, TCU, to the Big East/AAC, and eventually, albeit brief, SDSU and Boise, too, the MWC's two other big programs. And it nearly lost AFA, which was another top program. But, because the money never showed up with the AAC, and the AQ was stripped, I think it put the overall value of the AAC into perspective. I think stability matter shouldn't be forgotten...UConn, Cincy, Houston, UCF...they're all angling for major conference inclusion...it's hard to consider that a good thing, even if some of them are doing well within its reaches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Yes Stability matters a lot, that is very important. But Stability alone doesn't make a conference better than another necessarily. Look at the MAC. I would say the MAC is the most Stable conference there is in all of FBS and defiantly in Go5. But they still are not a good conference in regards to competitiveness and money. The MAC is way behind the AAC, and MW and this year even behind C-USA. So while stability is important at growing the conference, winning is more important. That is where the AAC has the advantage. And I hate saying it cause I am not a AAC fan. But AAC is currently the best Go5 conference. This is why the Big 12 is looking at taking schools from the AAC instead of MW or any other G05 conference. AAC has the best TV package among the Go5 and they have the highest rated champion currently in ECU. When and if the Big 12 expand which I am no longer really sure they will, then the AAC may fall behind the MW depending on who leaves and who replaces. Don't get me wrong, the MW is a very good conference! I just don't think they are at the AAC level yet!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
When and if the Big 12 expand which I am no longer really sure they will, then the AAC may fall behind the MW depending on who leaves and who replaces. Don't get me wrong, the MW is a very good conference! I just don't think they are at the AAC level yet!

Nice observation.

If the ACC loses Cincy and UConn then I can absolutely see that balance of power shifting to the MWC (especially if Navy also bails).

SMU and Houston should look West like TCU did and hopefully pull BYU back into the fold as well.

AAC East- Marshall, Temple, ECU, USF, UCF + ? (UNCC, ODU, GSU)
ACC West- UAB, So Miss, Memphis, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa

MWC West - Hawaii, SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, UNLV, Nevada, Boise, BYU/Utah St
MWC Mnt - BYU/Utah St, WYO, CO St, AFA, UNM, UTEP, SMU, Houston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

Any More rumblings going on in the AAC regarding expansion rumors by the Big 12. Seems like things are quite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

hibbett2222 wrote:
Any More rumblings going on in the AAC regarding expansion rumors by the Big 12. Seems like things are quite.

Earlier today Bob Bowlsby said again that they're not interested in expanding. I saw an article on NBC Sports about it. The last rumored expansion even seemed unlikely. Unless the Big Ten goes to 16 or something crazy that causes a big ripple effect, I think the AAC will be pretty stable. Every school in the AAC has been in the same conference with at least two other members at some point before joining except Navy. UConn is getting a b'ball advantage and everyone else has about the same goals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 346, 347, 348, 349, 350