It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:15 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'll quote a guy from another site (www.ncaabbs.com) on this:

Quote:

For anyone that is interested, it was interesting to see three guys in suits wearing East Carolina pins sitting near press row. Well, I asked someone connected with the higher ups about future Big East expansion, and I can tell everyone right now, don't expect expansion to happen this year, but we may, and I say may see something by the 2006 football season, and it will be for football only while all other sports may come in at a later date. The earliest word about a potential team would be sometime this summer during the summer meetings. When we asked about the possible teams that may be considered, the guys were pretty hush hush, but he did mention that some teams are NOT and will NOT be considered. One of those teams is the University of Memphis. It seems as if Memphis has burned a lot of bridges with the University of Louisville and Memphis is not willing to take a football only membership, mainly because their athletic department believes strongly that they will be the big fish in the new C-USA. They will get the bowl invites and possible BCS invite with the addition of a 5th game and they will have an easier time making the NCAAs in basketball and they could not do that if they would move to the Big East. Army and Navy have already expressed that they are not looking to join a conference for football. They don't need the BCS and they gain more exposure by playing all over the country even if they have to play the New Mexico State's of the world. That only leaves a few teams which seems to be hush hush for football only including, ECU who had people at tonights game, Central Florida, UAB, Nova (I can't see them getting football ready by 2006), UMass (I can't see it happening), Delaware (I can't see it happening), PSU (but they won't take a football only).

oddly enough, we've actually talked about some of these names before. :o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:44 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

if this happens lets examine the ripple effects...
ecu would have to leave cusa and would probaby join the a10 for other sports with boston u to get them at 16

then cusa would have 11 and would either lose marshall who is now really out of place, or expand and take la tech or a sunbelt school.

whoever loses a member will be pressed to get a replacement, but i wouldnt kill them.

i say just split already and let the real fun begin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Look at Villanova for BE football.
Point 1 they have not entered CAA yet from A10
Point 2 1AA classification to go away possibly by April 2005.
Point 3 Maybe they share 9th spot with ND.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:00 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

if nova joins with big east football, that would really screw temple in the realm of 1-a football. of course, if 1-aa is eliminated those two could just trade places with temple joining the new caa football league instead of nova, who has there old big east spot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

We've been discussing this on other BE boards (you'll find mine on thenewbigeast.com, as well as additional posts from the original Cuse fan). Some concern about this general direction remains. Most BE purists would rather have a Philly school and if that were to happen ECU would become unnecessary, to a degree. TS2's reminder of the potential changes to D1 classifications is also key, as that could open up a myriad of options that might prove more favorable.

Basically, ECU has a lot of appeal as an easy quick fix, but when starting the assessment from the stand point of what's the best long term interest for the BE, more critical assessment becomes warranted. If ECU felt they had an escape plan in case the future full-member scenario didn't work out, I'd say go for it for both parties. Especially since the BE has some time to play with, they should not be hasty in their actions now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:04 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Other than ND as full time member, which won't happen, the BE is not in great shape for expansion. ECU may be the best of an unattractive group. Lash had promoted Memphis, and I agree they are the most appealing, but distance and attitude apparently killed that idea.

Geographically, 'Nova, UMass and Delaware make the most sense, but who knows if there's enough inclination and backing (government, alumni, community) for any of them to make the jump to IA. I was in Orlando last week and read that UCF is pressing for a 45,000 seat on-campus playpen, and that might help their cause.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:49 am 

Quote:
Other than ND as full time member, which won't happen, the BE is not in great shape for expansion. ECU may be the best of an unattractive group. Lash had promoted Memphis, and I agree they are the most appealing, but distance and attitude apparently killed that idea.

Geographically, 'Nova, UMass and Delaware make the most sense, but who knows if there's enough inclination and backing (government, alumni, community) for any of them to make the jump to IA. I was in Orlando last week and read that UCF is pressing for a 45,000 seat on-campus playpen, and that might help their cause.

Does playing at the Citrus Bowl, 15 miles away, really have that bad of an affect on attendance?

Do students show up?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:22 pm 
A few comments:
1) Exactly what is "partial" membership for one particular sport? It means little beyond individual scheduling, and what conference, including the BE, has officially such a designation whereby a school playing 2 to 4 fb games against opponents of a particular conference, makes them eligible for the conference championship? Use Army and Navy as supplements? "Oh, please" (quoting Exotica, the best dancer at Morgantown's top hoochie-coochie club)!
2) The elimination/assimilation of D-1AA could have a significant impact on the BE and current non-BCS conferences, plus the better, current D-AA conferences. Agree on this one, TS2.
3) If Villanova is to BE fb, their slate will need to include the other eight current fb teams in the BE. It would be the same for whoever is identified as #9 fb.
4) East Carolina and Marshall have no particular bond other than both being now, C-USA members. If East Carolina leaves C-USA for a BE fb offer, C-USA could add LA Tech, as noted, or another. Actually, the WAC may not mind LA Tech leaving that much due to the geographic divide created last year with conference changes/expansion. However, that would leave the WAC at eight, who may have more problems with their own, future expansion initiatives. Well, Montana or N. Arizona???
5) ECU was on the fringe of C-USA geographically, anyway. Marshall, fits OK, considering, with C-USA as it was re-structured. They do not appear to be a BE candidate for several reasons. Though some have advocated Memphis, there is a real geographic issue there, and the school would be hesitant to accept something less than All Sports. ECU may be a different situation from several indications.
6) D&Dfan's posting may not be far-fetched, and the BE could commit to a fb #9 prior to settling on any future split. Since Army and Navy are not open, currently, to a #9 fb BE role, and Temple is not being invited back, then substantive speculation about East Carolina is logical. (Of course I would not want to label the BE as being consistently logical ::)).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The importance of a 9th member is based on scheduling.That is each of the 8 schools in the BE will have an equal number of home and away games.That is each will 4 homes with BE members and 4 away games.If the 9th slot is made upes with ND and 5 games with Villanova the 9th slot is taken care of.(shared 9th slot).Also the BE will have scheduling alliances with Army and Navy,this will keep an eastern flavor to football.This wad another point of NDplaying H/A with both army and navy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

D&C;

Marshall and ECU were members of the Southern Conference together until ECU left, so they do have some limited history together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

East Carolina, Richmond, and William & Mary all left the Southern Conference at about the same time and were replaced by Marshall, Tennessee-Chattanooga, and Western Carolina, however, there might have been a slight ECU-Marshall overlap (I believe that Richmond's departure was effective a season earlier than the others)...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This business of "partial scheduling" is ridiculous. The BE may play a few games with ND, but they won't count in the standings, so BE teams will still have 4 or 3 home conference games on an alternating basis until a 9th full-time member is found.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ND is already partner to BE bowl games.They are already receiving the prizes.By the way Villanova looking at sharing the 9th membership with ND.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There isn't going to be a "shared membership". You don't really think that the end-of-season standings are going to show ND, Villanova, Army, Navy or anyone else with records of say 2-2 while the other 8 have played 8 games do you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Of course not.But ND and possibly Villanova could be part of a bowl agreement.