NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:54 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

There are a couple of very interesting rumors floating around that could have major impacts on the Big East.

There is a rumor that Mike Tranghese will retire as Big East commissioner in June of 2010.

If this rumor is true, we can all assume the Big East is going to split and that date is very significant.

MT has always stated he will retire if the Big East decides to split.

Not that I wish MT to go into retirement, I do hope the football schools split and form an all sports conference.

The other interesting rumor floating around is the implosion of the Big 12. There are many rumors with the Big 12 commissioner leaving for a lower job in the Big Ten the south school will split to form a new conference to maximize revenue

Both of these rumors have roots into commissioners of both conference making changes.

This would make sense as to why the Big 12 leader would take a lower job in the Big Ten. That is not a lateral move by any means. The Big Ten may have all those fans, however, it not that much better than the Big 12 to take a lower position job.

I may have been wrong about 12 team conferences setting the standards.

If the Big 12 splits which is only a rumor, then the south division would probably max out it payouts by taking only 9 or 10 schools.

Would the Big East be interested in taking reject left over from the Big 12 north, probably not.

Any shifts away from 12 team alignments could have adverse impacts on the current conferences that have a championship game.

If the ACC would decide the champions game is no longer a valuable option, the Big East will move closer to the TV money of the ACC.

This could persuade Boston College to join the Big East football schools if a split were to occur by 2010.

The ACC would have one less mouth to feed and could go with 11 members similar to how the Big Ten operates.

There could be more shifts in the ACC if Arkansas joined the breakaway Big 12.

Florida State or Clemson could become a target for replacement.

What would be a nice transition if the SEC could work to take South Florida and the Big East could have the following 9 schools for an all sports league.

Big East Break Away Conference

Boston College
Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
Cincinnati
Louisville
Notre Dame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash let me response point by point.....

Quote:
There are a couple of very interesting rumors floating around that could have major impacts on the Big East.

There is a rumor that Mike Tranghese will retire as Big East commissioner in June of 2010.

I don't now how old MT is but is says on the BE website that he graduated in 1965 so let's assume he was 22 when that happened. So, my be estimate would be he is 64 this year and would be 67 in 2010 - so that could be possible.

The only thing for sure if that he signed a contract extension to be commish until 2010.

Quote:

If this rumor is true, we can all assume the Big East is going to split and that date is very significant.

MT has always stated he will retire if the Big East decides to split.

Not that I wish MT to go into retirement, I do hope the football schools split and form an all sports conference.

MT retiring may or may not mean anything about the BE continuing to be together. You may be correct that this may be a sign that the BE is splitting or may just be a sign of MT wanting to just retire considering he just negiotiated the biggest BE TV contract in their history and may not want to be around when the next one needs to be renegotiated in 2012.

I hope that Tom Jurich is being groomed for the commish position myself. ;D

Quote:

The other interesting rumor floating around is the implosion of the Big 12. There are many rumors with the Big 12 commissioner leaving for a lower job in the Big Ten the south school will split to form a new conference to maximize revenue

Both of these rumors have roots into commissioners of both conference making changes.

This would make sense as to why the Big 12 leader would take a lower job in the Big Ten. That is not a lateral move by any means. The Big Ten may have all those fans, however, it not that much better than the Big 12 to take a lower position job.

I may have been wrong about 12 team conferences setting the standards.

If the Big 12 splits which is only a rumor, then the south division would probably max out it payouts by taking only 9 or 10 schools.

The Big12 rumors have been around for quite some time. I honestly don't see it happening. The only way I can see it be worthwhile is if breakaway Big12 schools cut some 'dead weight' (ie ISU, KSU, etc) and they brought in Arkansas and/or LSU from the SEC. Do you really think that would happen?

Quote:

Any shifts away from 12 team alignments could have adverse impacts on the current conferences that have a championship game.

If the ACC would decide the champions game is no longer a valuable option, the Big East will move closer to the TV money of the ACC.

This could persuade Boston College to join the Big East football schools if a split were to occur by 2010.

The ACC would have one less mouth to feed and could go with 11 members similar to how the Big Ten operates.

You're simply not going to goto 11 if you already have 12. You might as well stay at 12 because you get the added TV market (BC) and the championship game and can split into divisions.

Quote:

What would be a nice transition if the SEC could work to take South Florida and the Big East could have the following 9 schools for an all sports league.

Big East Break Away Conference

Boston College
Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pitt
WVU
Cincinnati
Louisville
Notre Dame

Actually my preference is of course the NE based conference (similar to what you ahve but include UMd and PSU). Baring that, I think a more realistic chance than the SEC taking USF is for the BE to lure BC and Miami back (as Omni has mentioned quite a bit) so you have 2 10 teams conferences in the East (ACC and BE).

Now, many things need to happen (which Neil stated) as the BE needs to continue to have good FB, BB, better academics in the conference, traveling to bowls, awesome TV ratings AND ACC FB continuing to falter with decreased viewer ratings, etc.

You would then have a nice 10 team conference with a traveling partner for USF (and it's not UCF ;) )

BC-SU
UConn-RU
WVU-Pitt
UC-UL
USF-Miami
You already have deals in place for a series with BC-SU and USF-Miami ---- maybe they will be at the end of the year too?

VT-UVa
Duke-UNC-NCSt-Wake
Clemson-UMd
GT-FSU

Now, don't you think everyone would be happy with that? ;)

Last edited by panthersc97 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash,

I realized I forgot to address your comments about the Big12 commish taking a job with the Big10 as an indication of the Big12 imploding (Note that they just signed their largest contract and they just shard $106 million in 2005-2006).

While that could be the case, the most logical thing is that he wants to eventually take over as Big10 commish when Delany retires. Weiberg also come from the Big10 before taking over as commish so he is familiar with the Big10. Delay is 60 years go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

PantherSC97, you may be correct on Wieberg wanting back in the Big Ten. I just think there is more to it than that. It would have made sense to bring him back as commissioner of a major BCS conferemce when Delany leaves that promote within.

I think there is smoke in those rumors of the Big 12.

Everyone jumped on the 12 team football championship bandwagon and followed the lead of the SEC.

The problem is that not all conference and regions are like the SEC. I am not referring to die hard football fans because they exist in every part of the country including the Big East.

The SEC is just made for a championship game with the climate that is balanced with regional state schools. SEC fans are willing to show up for spring games that rival regular season games.

The Big 12 and the ACC jumped on this bandwagon and have major bumps in the road from day one.

Take the Nebraska fresco of not making the Big 12 championship game due to Kansas State upset and then getting the at large BCS bid and getting beat in the process. The Big 12 was a joke that year. The Big 12 north continue to be a joke.

In the old days, nobody would care or notice if Nebraska was struggling a bit, however, the flagship team of the north simply can not struggle or the 12 team format looks bad and dysfunctional.

I truly believe a breakaway Big 12 conference of Texas, Texas AM, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Kansan, Nebraska and Colorado would make a better 9 team alignment that the current 12 north and south split format.

If you factor in the estimated 5 million the championship game generates, shedding Iowa state, Kansas State, and Baylor take up more revenue than football championship game can cover.

In the process those three schools really don't provide much to the bottom line.

Not sure if Arkansas would jump as the 10 school, however, lots of fans in that part of the country miss the old SWC rivals.

Then we have the ACC that has really bombed in the 12 team format. The ACC really does not belong with 12 teams period. Its a basketball conference for goodness sake that plays pretty good football.

It was not just last year as a attendance fluke, the FSU and Va Tech game was not a sellout the year before either.

Please ACC do not blame Jacksonville for your problems.

This brings me back to a point you made that I never considered and BC and Miami coming back as the 9th and 10th in break away Big East.

Of course this could never happen unless the football schools show some initiative and want to become a true all sports conference.

Miami and BC both have experienced how the 12 team format works and got a taste of it and probably both have not faired as well as they once visioned they might. Particularly Miami has not performed in the 12 team format as well as the school performed in the old one division of the old Big East.

I just think it would be a win/win for the both the ACC and Big East football schools to work together to help transition Miami and BC back to the conference they fled thinking the 12 team format was the greatest ideas since football was invented in New Jersey in the 1800s.

The ACC has been a colossal flop with 12 members and to a great degree the Big 12 has not faired much better.

Since the Big Ten and Pac 10 have no plans to schedule a championship game any time in the future, any one of the Big 3 conference that currently schedule championship games may rethink the status if any one of those three drops the format.

I am not sure which is in more danger, the Big 12 or ACC.

The ACC has the best option if it could work to pass Miami and BC back to where they belong in a Big East all sports conference.

The final point in this debate. The Big East football schools can not even entertain ideas like this unless they wake up a split to form and all sports league.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:50 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

This brings me back to a point you made that I never considered and BC and Miami coming back as the 9th and 10th in break away Big East.

I've been speculating on this for about a month or so over on another Big East board. While I don't give it much of a chance, my thought process of how it could happen is similar to yours - although the Miami-USF series has to be a moneymaker for the Hurricanes to even have a chance of this coming about.

Of course, it goes up in smoke if the ACC championship game ever becomes popular

Quote:
Miami and BC both have experienced how the 12 team format works and got a taste of it and probably both have not faired as well as they once visioned they might. Particularly Miami has not performed in the 12 team format as well as the school performed in the old one division of the old Big East.

I just think it would be a win/win for the both the ACC and Big East football schools to work together to help transition Miami and BC back to the conference they fled thinking the 12 team format was the greatest ideas since football was invented in New Jersey in the 1800s.

The ACC has been a colossal flop with 12 members and to a great degree the Big 12 has not faired much better.

Since the Big Ten and Pac 10 have no plans to schedule a championship game any time in the future, any one of the Big 3 conference that currently schedule championship games may rethink the status if any one of those three drops the format.

I am not sure which is in more danger, the Big 12 or ACC.

The ACC has the best option if it could work to pass Miami and BC back to where they belong in a Big East all sports conference.

The final point in this debate. The Big East football schools can not even entertain ideas like this unless they wake up a split to form and all sports league.

Well, it would certainly have to rid itself of the current 16-team format, but if the limit is going to be 10 football schools, then it wouldn't hurt to have a smaller version of the hybrid - let's say Georgetown and Villanova as #11 and #12. ;)

Of course, that is assuming Georgetown and Villanova go for it and the football schools are okay with never expanding to 12.

Cheers,
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Neil,

I don't think the ACC officials that dreamed up expansion and the raids on the Big East a few year back considered the championship game may not be popular from day one. My guess is they are as shocked as the rest of us on how everyone went down in the first few years of this new alignment for the ACC.

Could the Big East lure Miami and BC back? The task at hand is not as difficult as some may think, however, lots would have to change.

The first issue is money. The only way to make more money by the Big East football school is down size in members. The only sure method is with a split from the basketball schools. With the new TV contact for basketball, the Big East is trending down in revenue sharing with 16 members (not sure if the revenue make up for all the members that is required for this type of contact). If you add two more schools this will only widen the gap in revenue.

Some of issues Miami used in gaining support for the move to the ACC was in travel benefits or gains. With South Florida and Louisville in the new Big East, this is somewhat improved. It has got much harder for BC playing in the southern based ACC.

I don't believe that Miami or BC would ever consider leaving an all sports conference for any form of a hybrid Big East.

Georgetown and Villanova both look good on the academic and market point of view, they both are not committed to bowl division football.

If the Big East continues to improve in football the next TV football contract of the Big East will be move more close to revenue that is generated by ACC football.

The next hurdle would be in basketball. The football schools would lose some very good basketball schools in a split, however, 10 schools would require less basketball revenue over 12 that is currently in the ACC.

With the exception of building programs of South Florida and Rutgers, the other 6 Big East football schools probably play as good of basketball as any other group in the country including the ACC.

It would help if the ACC continue to under achieve in football and especially in the BCS, as the TV contracts will reflect this for football for the ACC as well.

Actually the Big East is playing the type of football that the ACC is getting TV credit for at the moment in revenue payouts. This was all due to clever marketing with ACC expansion and perception that Big East would drop in football performance without Miami.

I agree with Big East Commissioner MT on WVU's win over Georgia in the BCS Sugar bowl a couple years ago was probably the best thing that could have happened to Big East football.

Miami and BC would not consider taking a risk to come back and save a conference and have the extra burden of this hanging on the performance of thier football teams.

On the other side of the token, Miami is clearly in the hot seat to help salvage ACC football respectablity.

Judging from the past BCS ACC success, only Florida State has had success in the BCS and this football season does not look very promising for the ACC on paper.

Comparing Big East football that has two BCS wins in the last two years to the ACC, the Big East is a much better football conference.

In order for the Big East to get the attention of some existing BCS schools, they must start thinking like a BCS conference.

The only way to achieve this is to split from schools that do not play bowl division football. Regardless if you limit yourself by keeping with 8 schools, the Big East football schools would gain instant national football creditability or better stated BCS with the split.

A split would prove once and for all the potential revenue the football schools can achieve without the basketball schools.

If they can come remotely close to the revenue that is made in the ACC, why would Miami and BC not consider moving back to the Big East? After all they both have proven track record for jumping ship when a better opportunity exist.

Another point is the Big East football schools no longer accept non qualifier players which is getting closer to academic preference that Miami and BC prefer as well.

The only thing preventing the Big East football schools from making a move on some other BCS football school for expansion consideration is lack of all being an sports conference.

The football schools may not have what it takes to take a risk and go it alone.

If they do split and prove they can generate revenue for all sports then and only then can you compare to see if another current BCS school would be interested in joining.

Until then, the only option for the Big East football schools is to expand with a non BCS school. The primary reason is any school would leave to join a BCS conference. This is not going to change or go away anytime soon.

If were up to me, I would take a 10 team all sports league over a 16 member hybrid every time regardless if there is currently there is more money made in one option over another.

The one thing the Big East football schools dont have or can't buy in the current alignment is flexablity.

Sometimes you can not place a value on this type of benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

With all the talk of Big Ten expanding and taking a possible Big East team for number 12, I wanted to capture on this thread the potential impacts.

Regardless if the Big Ten follows through, just discussing the possibility of taking a Big East team has got to change the thinking of the Big East football schools.

Some facts to consider or the Big East football schools have to consider.

If the Big Ten expands with a Big East football school, the conference has to expand with one football team.

There has to be discussions going on behind the scenes because this is not just speculating.

Do you spin the discussions as the school only bring value if you need it for the minimum of 8 teams.

If so, how can you not think that school as a 9th member is not bringing the same value. It just mandatory verses optional.

Less make a couple assumptions and all BCS conferences will not expand beyond 12 football schools. The Big Ten has stated its only looking for a 12th school.

This makes sense as expanding beyond 12 causes issues with other sports especially basketball which is a huge revenue stream.

If the pecking order holds up and the Big Ten will likely expand with a Big East football school, then the Big East will need to expand with another Conf USA team.

This has to be on the discussion minds of all Big East football school officials.

Most would assume the pecking order for expanding with Conf USA teams are the following projection:

1. UCF - this school was considered before by the Big East and with all the new facilities has to be high target on the radar.

2. Memphis - football only was considered so makes sense that if all sports are considered, basketball would bring extra value.

3. East Carolina - less travel and solid football support are probably the best two things ECU has going for it.

I do not buy the argument the Big East will become Conf USA by expanding again with one or more Conf USA teams.

Why? If you take UConn out of the equation, the current alignment had a four to three comparison.

No one is looking at the Big East football conference today and saying wow Conf USA is getting better.

The fact is once a schools joins another conference the schools begin to take on the associations of the new conference and not the old conference.

This only used for argument sake if you want to avoid expanding.

If Central Florida is a potential replacement for a Big East team that may leave for the Big Ten, why is the same value not there as a 9th member?

The fact is the same value is there regardless if you need the school for a mandatory 8 or optional 9.

The same can then be said for all three teams listed above from Conf USA.

If the Big Ten expands and there is nothing to think the conference will not do so in the next year, the Big East football schools have some serious decisions to make.

Option 1: They can expand with Central Florida and keep the 16 member conference in place.

Option 2: They can split and expand with Central Florida and Memphis for 9 all sports members.

Option 3: They can expand a become a 10 member all sports conference that is building to an eventual 12 member BCS league.

Assuming its Rutgers to the Big Ten.

How does this alignment look in a couple years:

Pitt
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Connecticut
South Florida
Central Florida
Memphis
East Carolina

I don't see how anyone can refer to the above Is a version of Conf USA. First there are two school in that alignment that will probably challenge to play in the BCS national title game in New Orleans and possibly three schools that could play in a potential BCS game this year.

There are at least half that would make the NCAA basketball tournament and more likely 6 or 7 teams.

In a few years nobody would be looking at those ten schools and say it just another version of Conf USA.

Primary argument no one is doing it today for the current Big East football conference in comparison to Conf USA.

This would allow two more schools to be selected in the future based on other criterial that could include Army and Navy as full members or continue with the pecking order of taking two more Conf USA teams to reach 12.

This is the same method that will occur in the west with MWC taking WAC teams.

My guess is that the latest interest of the Big Ten has the football schools rethinking split.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash, et.al., don't know what Big East is really thinking, but despite the scheduling issues, Tranghese conveyed they are not considering a 9th fb team. See last paragraph.

Big East Beasts Are Back
League is thriving three years after defections Wednesday, July 18, 2007
By Dave Rahme Staff writer
The Post Standard
Syracuse, NY
Syracuse.com - article

"Newport, R.I.- Mike Tranghese provided the eloquence in extolling the virtues of Big East Conference football on the eve of the 2007 season, but new Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly supplied the word picture that best described the league's rebirth.

"I saw it as a flat tire," Kelly said Tuesday morning at the league's annual football media day here on the scenic shores of the Atlantic Ocean. "It clearly got to the point that it was going to have to be changed. And they did change it. They changed it with the acceleration of quality football. Clearly, that's what this is about. Clearly, this league is about teams committed to playing championship-caliber football."

Clearly, it is a much different picture than the one Tranghese, the conference's veteran commission, painted at this event three years ago at Giants Stadium. Then, it was all about tribulation, as the league hovered on the brink of dissolution in the wake of the defections of Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College to the Atlantic Coast Conference.
Tuesday, it was all about triumph, as Tranghese described a regular season that featured three undefeated members heading into November, a 5-0 bowl record and a host of legitimate Heisman Trophy candidates back for 2007.

"Last year is what I call Cinderella," Tranghese said. "I don't know how to describe last year. Back-to-back Thursday night games in prime time (TV) in November with three undefeated teams (West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers). Two great games, record ratings on ESPN, and then I think all of a sudden the country took a hard look and said, 'These people are pretty good.''

It was a message Tranghese desperately wanted to send. Few believed his hopeful words when he claimed that Louisville, South Florida, Cincinnati and Connecticut would adequately replace the Hurricanes, Hokies and Eagles. Yet, the recent actions of the reconfigured eight-team league have made him a prophet.

While charter members Syracuse and Pittsburgh - the teams Tranghese still considers critical to the long-term health of the conference - continue to struggle to return to their glory days, West Virginia and Louisville have become national powers. Last season, Rutgers joined them.

"Our regular-season title last year was not determined until the last game, the last play, in overtime (a West Virginia victory over Rutgers that gave Louisville the title)," Tranghese said. "That's how competitive our league was. But I think we're tired of talking about being Cinderella. What we are is one of the six conferences with an automatic berth in the BCS. And we're competing to win the national championship."

In that regard, the hope of 2004 has given way to the reality of 2007. West Virginia, with the dynamic duo of quarterback Pat White and Steve Slaton, is again being tabbed as a title contender. Louisville, with superstar quarterback Brian Brohm, and Rutgers, with explosive tailback Ray Rice, are back in the top 15 in the major preseason polls. South Florida is on the fringe.

"Folks around the country probably thought it was going to be the weak sister of the six BCS leagues," said Steve Kragthorpe, the new coach at Louisville. "But obviously, with what the Big East did last year, I think it has reestablished itself."

It has done so to the point that the lust for recognition only two years has given way to a love-lest, as Tranghese and his eight coaches on Tuesday boasted about the recent achievements, showed off the league's four Heisman Trophy candidates and introduced Kelly and Kragthorpe as the newest members of the suddenly posh club.

The only negative moment of the morning occurred when Tranghese addressed the possibility of adding a ninth football-playing member to alleviate the scheduling nightmare posed by the eight-team configuration.

"There's no support for taking a ninth team," he said. "There just isn't anybody out there who makes us better. And we're not going to take a team just to solve scheduling problems."

Dave Rahme can be reached at 470-2148 or drahme@syracuse.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03, less just hope the flat tire that coach Kelly was referring in the Big East was not replaced with the small temporay donut tire. Those tires are only meant to get you to the next repair shop to acquire and full size tire.

If the Big Ten does expand and Notre Dame accepts, this would create a most interesting situation in the Big East.

I think that MT is making those statements simplly because it is too messy to force a 9th football school into the conference and expand behond 16. I think he is saying there is not support for a football only school.

What does this format look like for all sports:

Providence
Connecticut
St John's
Seton Hall
Rutgers
Syracuse
Pitt
WVU
Cincinnatti
Louisville
Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
Villanova
South Florida
Central Florida (?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Freaked, Lash, et. al.: Here's a two part June, 07 article from Boneville.net reflecting on Big East expansion. Maybe it was posted previously. It obviously is the voice of East Carolina, but offers a particular perspective. Note that at the close of the article, suggested candidates would be (a) ECU, (b) Memphis, and (c) Navy and Army.

http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBrien/2007/06/061107_Obrien.htm

and

http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBrien/2007/06/061807_Obrien.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Freaked, Lash, et. al.: Here's a two part June, 07 article from Boneville.net reflecting on Big East expansion. Maybe it was posted previously. It obviously is the voice of East Carolina, but offers a particular perspective. Note that at the close of the article, suggested candidates would be (a) ECU, (b) Memphis, and (c) Navy and Army.

http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBrien/2007/06/061107_Obrien.htm

and

http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBrien/2007/06/061807_Obrien.htm

I think if that were the case, Memphis would get the nod over ECU, especially since the basketball schools would want a quality opponent in hoops, and the football schools would get their ninth school. ECU fields decent teams, but I think with Calipari heading Memphis (as well as having back to back Elite 8 appearances), the Tigers have the more flashy resume.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tarkiokid, I think Memphis would bring more to the table over ECU with better basketball and the Liberty bowl.

Central Florida just has more potential and benefits over both ECU and Memphis.

sec03, I am one of the folks who really believe that Army and Navy should be brought in as all sports members.

I really don't think either Army or Navy could or would turn down an all sports membership in a BCS conference.

If the schools split and form an all sports conference, Army and Navy help sure up the academic concerns and keep the football schools more eastern.

I think ECU has to hope the Big Ten takes a Big East team other wise my scenario has the following.

Contenential: Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Memphis

Coastal: Army, Navy, UConn, Rutgers/ECU, South Florida, UCF

The 12 team league in basketball would then take the the same approach as Big 12 and ACC and not have divisions for basketball to make more fair schedules.

This would allow the weaker teams to play round robin i.e.

South Florida, Central Florida, Army, Navy, Rutgers/ECU, Cincy play round robin and one game each with the stronger teams

and

Pitt, Syracuse, Memphis, Louisville, WVU, UConn play round robin and one game each with the weaker teams

This type of alignment to me is much better that 16 basketball schools if you include Army and Navy as all sports members.

It moves the Big East into BCS 12 team status and provides a mix of really good academic and eastern schools and very good minor bowl cities.

Remember the argument of Syracuse not wanting to schedule too many difficult OOC basketball games. This may not be an issue if you had Army, Navy, etc as a conference game. It becomes more in sync with the NCAA selection committe which places more emphases on OOC scedules.

I think the Big East football schools could make a very bold and nationals statement with a split and the following alignment:

Contenential: Louisville, Cincinnati, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, Memphis

Coastal: Army, Navy, UConn, Rutgers/ECU, South Florida, UCF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:11 pm 
Senior
Senior

Where are all those Big East teams that are suppose to show up on Notre Dame's future football schedules? Pittsburgh and Rutgers show frequent, but that is half of what was earlier suggested as a minimum. Rather, Notre Dame has been working to extend a deal for twenty more years with Michigan and trying to find host sites in Florida and Texas for potential future games with schools such as Oklahoma and Baylor.

Is the Big East suppose to stand in line behind the Big Ten waiting and hoping they will be graced with Notre Dame football someday? Yet Notre Dame is a power in maintaining the status quo of Big East football. Doesn't look as if such is a fair and balanced deal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

LouisvilleCard01, these type of issues are what drives me absolutely crazy with the current Big East alignment.

I can understand the Big East football schools wanting to remain in the Big East to retain the MSG basketball tournament and Big East name, however, there are so many issues that it mind boggling to understand the desire to keep this format in place.

For example, once Michigan wanted a two year break with Notre Dame, the Big East could have simply stated Notre Dame live up to your agreement and schedule a Big East football team during this two year period. The Big East simply let Notre Dame get by with scheduling Oklahoma that does nothing for the Big East football and only adds more money for Notre Dame.

This responsibly lies solely on MT the commissioner of the Big East. Every time someone questions Notre Dame's special breaks, his tired a$$ excuse is that Notre Dame should have this right.

Basically what he is doing is protecting the basketball schools interest because Notre Dame holds the conference together in its current format.

If Notre Dame would bolt for the Big Ten, then the football schools would out number the basketball schools in voting power.

It would not be a majority vote with 8 to 7, however, the power would shift.

He also knows full well that a 9th football school is needed and that replacing Notre Dame with a football school would further add to the unbalance in power with a 9 to 7.

What really gets me going is why the football schools let him get away with it and refuse to split.

Basically the football schools are deciding that having Providence, Seton Hall, St John's, Marquette, Depaul, Villanova, and Georgetown is a better option that having Memphis, Central Florida, Army and Navy as all sports members in a 12 team league.

I just don't get it. The bottom line is basketball is not making that much in the current Big East with the new TV contact and the Big East remains very vulnerable to raids and other type of criticism from allowing Notre Dame to pull the tricks the school is allowed to get away with.

I look at the Big East as Notre Dame is top priority, basketball schools are second in line and football is just a distant third.

In the future, you cant really blame the BCS if they pull the Big East automatic bid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

In the event the Big Ten expands and takes Rutgers, I see the following potential domino type impact on the Big East.

First up the Big East will be in immediate need of football school to retain NCAA minimum requirements of 8.

Factor in the need for a 9th football member that is already plaguing the Big East as many of the Big East coaches are pushing for the 9th football member, there will be pressure to bring in multiple schools for football.

If the Big Ten takes Rutgers along with Penn State the Big Ten has basically cut the Big East in two halves for TV regions with UConn and Syracuse the only current teams north of the Big Ten eastern points.

Factor in the current status of the football programs of Syracuse and UConn and both may decide to stop competing at the BCS level for football.

This may cause WVU, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida and Pitt to look for other options to ensure football is on solid ground.

If those five schools bolt along with Rutgers, the Big East would finally revert back to a basketball league with 10 members.

Big East (10): Syracuse, UConn, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame

Taking a balance of five teams from the current Conf USA east division would make a nice version of the old Metro. Initially you would have equal votes of 5 each from previous conferences.

Since UAB is not on solid financial ground and does not have very good facilities, less take Memphis, Southern Miss, East Carolina, Central Florida, and Marshall

Retro-Metro Conference (10): Pitt, WVU, Marshall, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Miss, East Carolina, UCF, South Florida

Everyone may scuff at this idea or arrangement, however, it is as as close to the ACC and SEC in football as you can get with the available options.

In fact this 10 team version of Metro may be better in football over the ACC unless the ACC starts to improve in football.

It may not have the market strength of the old Big East, however, it would have four minor bowl sites to claim (Tampa, Orlando, Memphis, Charlotte) and possibly five with the Mobile bowl. It could claim six with Papa John bowl in Birmingham.

It would be hard pressed to keep the automatic BCS bid that currently goes to the Big East from this group. If not, it would almost be impossible to keep this group of schools from gaining one of the four or what would now become five at large BCS bids.

It really appears that football would be better in this group over the current Big East alignment that includes Rutgers.

Basketball? Adding Memphis along with current Big East basketball powers Pitt, Louisville, WVU, and Cincinnati and the basketball does not look like it would slip too far from the current Big East. This conference could go back to rotating the tournament around the league similar to how other BCS conferences. You would lose MSG, however, you keep football strong which should be the top priority.

Academics? If you want to remain competitive with the SEC, you are going to have to compromise.

Markets? Maybe not necessarily exclusive markets, however, you got solid football schools that have good attendance and fan following.

In the long run maybe the Big East could finally have piece in this type of split and all sides would finally be where they need to be competitive in what drives those schools.

Maybe just maybe the following two conference are really what is needed.

Big East (10): Syracuse, UConn, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul, Notre Dame

Retro-Metro (10): Pitt, WVU, Marshall, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, Southern Miss, East Carolina, UCF, South Florida

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next