NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
It looks like BC and Pitt will play ND every third year, as will the other 12. Albeit, they may assume preferred status by playing in the first year, similar to the NFL scheduling old rivals (Ariz-Dall, Denv-Sea) in the first year after the 2002 realignment.

The ACC and Notre Dame announced the schedule matching the Irish and its ACC opponents for the 2014 through 2016 seasons.
The games are part of an agreement for Notre Dame to play five ACC teams each year in football.

Because of previous commitments for 2014, Notre Dame will face four ACC teams this season, then will play six in 2015 and five, starting in 2016.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/colleges/football/article_452dfefc-f9dc-5451-99c6-34d019251788.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:51 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Prior to the agreement to play 5 ACC opponents each year, Notre Dame played the folowing 6 opponents every year (or so it seemed):
Michigan (Big Ten)
Michigan State (Big Ten)
Purdue (Big Ten)
USC (PAC-12)
Stanford (PAC-12)
Navy (Independent).

From what I can see, the annual arrangements with the three (3) Big Ten schools are now all history.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Important to note:

The ESPN/ACC deal that was announced this week at media day, includes a provision that IF Notre Dame football gives up its independence anytime during the duration of the TV deal, they must join the ACC.

So that settles it until 2036. It's either Indy or ACC.

The new deal means that NO ONE is leaving the ACC with their TV rights until after 2036.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If I'm the ACC I'd be a little worried about the Big 12 drying up the pool of potential expansion candidates. I would consider approaching UConn the same deal that Notre Dame has. Let them come in for Olympic sports and officially be independent in football but with an arrangement to play 5 football games a year against ACC competition. This gives the ACC another very valuable basketball brand and also some flexibility without adding a 15th school for football without a full membership commitment from Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting idea.

UConn ultimately belongs in the ACC.

A FB only invitation would solidify their position, however UConn would NOT benefit financially from receiving P5 TV money, until they later become a full member.

So would UConn go for this, or hope the Big Ten or Big XII gives them a full membership invitation in the future ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
If I'm the ACC I'd be a little worried about the Big 12 drying up the pool of potential expansion candidates. I would consider approaching UConn the same deal that Notre Dame has. Let them come in for Olympic sports and officially be independent in football but with an arrangement to play 5 football games a year against ACC competition. This gives the ACC another very valuable basketball brand and also some flexibility without adding a 15th school for football without a full membership commitment from Notre Dame.

I don't really think the ACC should worry about "expansion candidates" drying up since they have 15 full members. At the end of the day, it's "Does this candidate actually bring something to the table that makes it worth splitting the pie another way?"

I think we're at or past the apex of "potential earning power with an additional member vs loss of value to inventory with such a big conference"

Do you get more money from a cut of rights adding the new teams' market, or more money from the GAMES you're giving up because you can no longer play the marquee teams in your conference at home every season (Duke/Kansas basketball; Oklahoma/Florida State football, etc)?

If you look at the Big East expansion discussion on a Big East message board, the smartest people (arguing against me) all see that:
- adding teams probably gets them two more NCAA bids
- The double-round robin DOES actually hurt their 7-8-9 teams NCAA chances

- Expansion kills the double-round robin, and that's a bad decision for them from an individual revenue standpoint, even if it increases their TV/NCAA checks slightly, the value of guaranteed home games vs everyone in the league is important to them.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UConn blog article(previously posted in another thread)discussing unconfirmed report that ND may be in talks with the ACC about joining that league in FB.Link at http://www.theuconnblog.com/2017/5/13/1 ... against-nd

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN ran this crawl on Thursday night...

Notre Dame agrees to extend their current 5 game / year deal with the ACC.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/05/acc- ... ents-2037/

Did this news item get mis-interpreted as Notre Dame in talks to become full member in FB ?
I don't understand why talks would be necessary.
ACC would love to have them.
Notre Dame just has to decide if it's what they want....
And if the ACC were to snag ND FB and they then become 15th full member,
one has to assume ACC would invite school #16.

Not sure UConn is obvious choice.
I think it'd be them or West Virginia.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SBN blog article discussing ACC/ND football reporting from Tim Brando at http://www.onefootdown.com/2017/5/15/15 ... dependence

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tim Brando, Fox Sports broadcaster, made his comments last Monday during a radio interview in Louisville. That was just a couple days after the ACC released its conference games through '36, which also stated terms per the agreement with Notre Dame. Notre Dame gets full equity for distributions.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports ... 60542.html"

There is no incentive for Notre Dame to play FT ACC fb unless the school decides it must be eligible to play in a conference championship game in order to be selected for a national championship playoff spot. ND certainly does not have an issue with finding fb opponents to schedule, and they can maintain their rivalry games with Navy, USC, and Stanford, and still have a few free selections.

Brando's remark generated considerable speculation such as below:
https://indilens.com/289391-is-now-the- ... -football/"
* If I am reading reports correctly, the new media deal for the ACC includes Notre Dame receiving equitable distribution from the ACC. Thus, the percentage figures for prior years change going forward.

As long as the P5 conferences do not narrow to 4, ND moving to FT conference fb does not look probable for years. I don't believe the ACC holds the incentive cards as Brando suggests, at least at this time period; and there is little evidence ND is self-motivated to join for FT fb anytime soon. There could be a shake-up when the Big 12's GoR is due to expire around '23/'24. But that is uncertain, and if it did happen, it may not be profound enough to force ND's hand.

What's on paper looks as if Swofford and the ACC have continued to provide ND all they wanted.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:30 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

If Notre Dame can keep their NBC contract through the duration (2025) then the talks may intensify with the ACC to be a full member. Otherwise it makes no sense from a ND perspective as they can keep FB independent for the next decade (almost) and then see where the chips fall.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports article with comments from ND AD who denies that ND will be joining the ACC for full time FB at http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... -full-time

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:41 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CBSSports article with comments from ND AD who denies that ND will be joining the ACC for full time FB at http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... -full-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ND recently booked a home to
home series with Arkansas.
ND is playing a game with
Georgia this season.
Their long-time message that
they must maintain all those
old rivalries is somewhat
misleading.
ND could play an 8-game schedule
In the ACC as a full fb member
and still play Navy and USC plus
2 others.
The ACC gave ND a fabulous deal.
That includes revenue.
ND found the right P5 conference
that would agree to such. ND can
ride on the successes of Clemson
and FSU fb, and UNC and Duke bb.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

In addition to USC and Navy, some other "traditional" Notre Dame rivals include:
Stanford
Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue

BC and Pitt have been regular opponents over the years and ND currently faces them approximately every 3rd year as part of the ACC 5 game / year rotation.

Notre Dame has agreed to a GoR through 2036, and AT LEAST 5 FB games / year through then, plus IF they were to move to a football conference, the ACC would be the destination. That was agreed upon maybe a year ago.
Not sure why any questioner was thinking ND had recently agreed to more. Surely there would have been an announcement.

ACC accepts this arrangement, but would of course love to have ND football come aboard.

Notre Dame is in good financial shape, and may not give up their independence until doing other wise might shut them out of the CFP. If the landscape shifts to a 64-team P4, I suspect they may reconsider their current posture.

Don't see NBC dumping Notre Dame unless somehow the ratings were to go into the toilet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:01 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Yes there would have to be a significant shift in the way the CFP is populated to make Notre Dame want to officially join the ACC.

I can't see there ever being a ratings downturn for ND football. I am sure even during down years, the Irish get good ratings for their games. Depending on the CFB TV landscape in the next five years or so, I could honestly see NBC adding another football game a week or at least adding a game on weeks where ND doesn't play at home or at a neutral site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 528 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next