It was a good win by WV, it saved a total embarrassment for the BE from the other 3 bowl games.
Yes, KC, 0-4 would have been embarassing, but I think that the Big East should be very encouraged and that it's the ACC that should be embarassed.
1. With 5 teams ahead of them losing, West Virginia should jump to #6 in the polls. They lose only 8 seniors & so should be even better next year.
2. Rutgers made an excellent showing in what was for all practical purposes a home game for Arizona State. Rutgers had the lead for most of the game. Given that this was their first time in a bowl in many a moon, this was a very encouraging showing & bodes well for Rutgers' future.
3. South Florida should be encouraged for just showing up! They didn't even have a program 10 years ago, yet they had some big wins this year & a shot at winning the conference late in the season.
4. And then there's Louisville. Here's the nexus with the ACC. Louisville had a big lead in this game despite playing without their quarterback. So what did Marcus Vick do? He intentionally spiked Elvis Dumervil, the national sacks leader, the man who should have been in his face all day. The refs missed it. It should have been a 15 yard penalty & Vick should have been thrown out of the game for intentionally injuring another player. His own coach considered pulling him from the game for misconduct at half time. He should have. Instead Tech was able to make a come back while Dumervil hobbled through the rest of the game. Yes, Virginia Tech won the game, but Louisville had nothing to be embarassed about. Virginia Tech sure did.
5. Miami was humiliated 40-3 by LSU, but more embarassing was the firing of 4 assistants after the game - some of them long time assistants who were good enough to help Miami to national championships in the past. It sure looks like the wheels are coming off the bus in Miami.
6. Georgia Tech went out & lost to Utah. Let me rephrase that. Georgia Tech was crushed by Utah. Utah? Maybe there's something to that Mountain West claim that they deserve a spot in the BCS.
7. Yes, Florida State did put up a good show against Penn State. But it never should have gone to OT. FSU snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by blowing a fourth quarter lead. More important is the fact that with all the hoopla that accompanied the ACC's expansion, their BCS rep still lost for the 6th year in a row. Adding the extra teams didn't help them. Adding the championship game may have hurt them by keeping their best team out of their BCS bowl spot. But, FSU beat both Virginia Tech & Miami, so maybe 5-loss FSU was the best team in the conference. Maybe the league just wasn't that good. Certainly Virginia Tech & Miami, the top ranked teams in the conference , did nothing in their bowl games to distinguish themselves. And they did a lot to give the conference a black eye.