NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:26 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

The Scenario: The Father General of the Jesuit Order in Rome orders Boston College back to the Big East. As a result, the Atlantic Coast Conference makes an emergency meeting: It needs to find a new school, of similar calibur to the members of the ACC to replace Boston College.

After all BCS schools within the conference footprint turn the ACC down, The Following Schools submit proposals:

Florida International
Central Florida
Stetson
Georgia State (Will rent Georgia Dome for football)
Furman
South Carolina-Upstate
North Carolina-Charlotte (Will rent Alltel Stadium for football)
East Carolina
Virginia Commonwealth
Old Dominion
William and Mary
Morgan State
Towson
Delaware

Honest Opinion, folks, Which of these schools would the ACC most likely choose for membership? Why?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:29 pm 
benbreek, dang! I like your humor, but not your list. I would go for one not on the list and give the ACC what it deserves. OK, here it is, and I am totally serious-----------TEMPLE!

Georgia Southern University would be stronger than several on the list.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree with Dogs, Temple.

But I would probally say East Carolina or UCF.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:59 pm 
Agree, only UCF or ECU have anything near acceptable, and the ACC has turned down ECU before several times. In a desperate situation to maintain 12 with no other current bcs options and if limited to the list......

FIU is the only other one with 1-A fb, and they are at the bottom (or near) of the 119 1As.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:20 pm 
Junior
Junior

Thing is: The ACC is as much an academic alliance as it is an athletic league.

Georgia State is twice the size Georgia Tech is.

Old Dominion, William and Mary, And Virginia Commonwealth have been designated as flagship institutions by the Virginia State Legislature.

Delaware is the lone flagship of its state, not much smaller than Clemson, and rather larger than Georgia Tech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the ACC ever expanded, I'd see Delaware (if they move to I-A), Rutgers, or Syracuse being the most likely, simply because they fill a gap in the ACC's footprint (i.e., Baltimore to Boston). If Temple could get its act together, they'd probably have a shot, but they've probably hurt their chances for the forseeable future. Penn State would be nice, but probably wouldn't leave the Big 10.

If the above scenario happened, though, why not UMass? They'd give the ACC a foothold in the Northeast again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:04 pm 
Junior
Junior

To be completely honest, I have no idea why the ACC didn't try to steal West Virginia instead of Boston College.

Why not have West Virginia and Va Tech in the ACC? Makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Georgia State is twice the size Georgia Tech is.

But many (most?) of those students are commuters or part timers working toward professional certificates or degrees. It's a great school for honing business skills, but no where near ready for 1-AA, let alone 1-A.

- - - - - -

Based off the list of choices given, Delaware gets the nod (academics, resources, hopes of luring part of Philly's interest)

ACC won't shun ECU, but a 5th school in NC would be stretching the idea a bit too thin.

Odds of this happening probably greater than me winning two lottos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A like that about the acc and ecu.Most ecu fans go crazy at the mere mention of unc chapel hill.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:49 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ECU is like VT having begged the ACC for inclusion for a considerable duration of time. ECU would love to get into the ACC but at the price of being not only the state's but the conferences punching bag. The the non-NC teams would never allow their inclusion anyway since they feel the NC schools already have too much pull. UCF would be the only logical fit if on the ridiculously preposterous odds that all the schools in the SEC, Big East, Notre Dame, etc... turned down the pay day that is the ACC. UAB would have about the same odds as ECU, a new market in the geographical footprint but unprepared for the big times. UAB's current president is a UNC alum which would allow, if for some reason they didn't feel like coming in the first place, for pressure to be applied from the top. Marshall would also be a reach but they offer a new market and a rabid fanbase like ECU. Delaware would be the most likely I-AA school to get the nod. From a personal bias, for sh1ts and giggles, I would like to see William & Mary (former SoCon colleague), ODU, or Washington & Lee (former SoCon colleague). Of course none of those schools would make it round 1 in the ACC.

Last edited by thephantom on Tue May 30, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.