NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UCF has scheduled Texas to open the new on-campus stadium in September, 2007.

But UCF isn't good enough for the BE, is it? Nooo.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UCFs game with Texas is a 2-1. The only other 2-1 that I am aware of that was signed recently for the BE is UCinn playing UGa in a 2-1. SU played ND in a 2-1 but I think that was signed around 2000 (?).

Certainly UCF is there with Memphis and ECU post-split. It will depend on what the separation is at that point. Will the BE want another team in Florida before USF establishes themself (if ever?).

BTW - USF turned down an uneven series with Texas.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/05/12/Sports/Bulls__Hurricanes_set.shtml

TAMPA - In landing a second home-and-home football series with Miami in 2012-13, USF athletic director Doug Woolard says the Bulls' days of traveling for paychecks are gone.

"I'm not interested in playing 2-for-1s, and I want to get out of bye games," Woolard said Thursday. "Certainly there are some financial advantages, but it's such a competitive disadvantage that I wanted to get out of doing that. This will be the first year we don't have one."

USF had its first game against one of the state's "Big Three" in October, losing 27-7 to Miami. The Hurricanes visit Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 26, 2009, to complete that series. Last week, Woolard signed a new deal with Miami athletic director Paul Dee. The teams will meet in Miami on Sept. 15, 2012, and in Tampa on Sept. 21, 2013. All three games carry $500,000 buyouts.

How serious is Woolard about his team not traveling without getting a return game? Central Florida recently announced a three-game series with national champion Texas, including a game in Orlando to open the Knights' new stadium in 2007. Woolard said USF was contacted by ESPN about a game with the Longhorns, but he wasn't interested in an uneven series.

The Bulls also have agreed to play host to Division I-AA Samford in their 2010 season opener, paying $225,000 to bring the Bulldogs to Tampa on Sept. 4. The Bulls' 2007-09 openers remain open, though one of those games is likely against Florida A&M, which played USF in Tampa in September, drawing a crowd of 43,112.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Tue May 30, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:50 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Yikes! The school was founded in 1968 and it has 45,000 enrollment?

What are the admission standards? Anyone with a pulse?

Last edited by whitebread on Tue May 30, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
UCF has scheduled Texas to open the new on-campus stadium in September, 2007.

But UCF isn't good enough for the BE, is it? Nooo.

Info from a writer from the Big East Board and media replies in the BE and DC area.

1. Both ECU and UCF looking to leave Cusa for BE.
2. Most emails suggest no split but if it happens it might happen after 2011 or 2012 season.
3. Adding a school for football is another matter.
4. History, attendance, location, facilities, fan base, and market more important than records over the past few seasons.
5. L'ville and Cinn support Memphis: W.Vir., Rutgers, Conn support ECU: Pitt supports UCF: USF and Cuse are neutral.
6. UCF and ECU are the only schools known to have made moves to get into the BE.
7. ECU has talked with other conferences about placing their other teams if they receive a FB only invitation to play in the BE.
8. UCF is in the process of finding another regional conference for their other sports.

Markets:

1. Some emails suggest that taking ECU or going back after Navy would be the best move for the BE.
2. Media official in Virginia Beach suggests ECU would give the BE a foothold in NC, Richmond VA, Tidewater VA, SC, and DC. Navy would do the same minus NC and SC.
3. UCF gives the BE the Orlando market
4. Memphis will give the BE the Memphis market plus western/central Tenn, and parts of Arkansas, Miss, and Alabama.

OTHER CONFERENCES MAY EXPAND BEFORE ANYTHING MAJOR HAPPENS IN THE BIG EAST. THEY WILL BE REACTIVE AGAIN RATHER THAN PROACTIVE.

This info came via Silver Spring Hoya from the Big East Board.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Rutgers supports ecu.What a joke.Who told you that the parking attendant?Maybe its Navy.Cuse thinks ecu stinks,WVU does not want ucfla.But there is no split.

Last edited by tigersharktwo on Tue May 30, 2006 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tigersharktwo, how can someone living 900 miles away know anything about Central Florida?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:21 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Internet.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lash the BE is local to me.They do not want cfla.Being the BE expert of Arizona hardly keeps you in touch.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Tigersharktwo, the Big East is local for me too.

I am guessing that my schedule takes me to the east coast much more that yours takes you to Florida.

As usual, more BS from you.

You would fit right in in Washington DC with the other politicans.

I am a true Big East football fan and actually care about the conference getting a strong football strength and positioning the conference to play for the BCS title.

You are just like the basketball schools and Notre Dame and only want to get by and many reasons the Big East was subjective for raids in the past.

Since we are on this thread.

What about introducing some Big East football schools joining some MWC schools to ensure football more than just gets by.

East: Central Florida, South Florida, Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia.

West: Utah, BYU, New Mexico, Colorado State, UNLV, San Diego State

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

There is not going to be a split.Yes there is big difference and significant between a newspaper,internet BE fan and a BE fan ,supporter who lives in the area.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Me thinks that Tigershartktwo is a Big East basketball fan and possibly a fan of Notre Dame.

True football fans what strong football.

Tigersharktwo is a fan of mid major football playing in a big time basketball conference.

Tigersharktwo, you think the SEC and Big 12 just wanted to get by? Better yet, do you think the ACC just wanted to get by?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
There is not going to be a split.Yes there is big difference and significant between a newspaper,internet BE fan and a BE fan ,supporter who lives in the area.

By your remarks, you are "qualified" BE fan. Some of your biggest disputes have been with all-sports and fb Big East fans.

I would say you are not a true Notre Dame fan because you imply a deeper bond between the Big East and Notre Dame that Notre Dame neither has or wants.

You are not a fan of Army and Navy because your suggestions mount to exploiting the service academies in the Big East's favor.

What your stance is, and all your remarks, much in error about what decisions have been made, appear to serve the interests of the following: Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Georgetown, and Marquette. While DePaul and Marquette are relative newcomers to the Big East, lets narrow that down. That would leave Villanova, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Providence. On several posts, way back, when splits were being spoken about, you suggested St. Johns, Georgetown, and Villanova to go with the split football group. So, that narrows it down further. Later, you had St. Johns eliminated from the group. That leaves Georgetown and Villanova. Both play 1-AA football, though Villanova has a more advanced scholarship program. Your prior references have not centered on Georgetown, but rather Villanova very frequently, so Villanova gets the huge edge. But wait! During Villanova's final game this year in the NCAA tournament, you were posting (check the date and timing of posts) on the BE boards and this website arguing BE matters vs the Willies' and Anonymous Donors. You justified this saying you had blackberry or laptops and were a multi-tasked individual that any Louisville fan was incapable of doing. OK, accepting that rationale, your focus had to be off the Villanova game, and at moments, arguing on websites had to be a more important priority for you.

Then if the enthusiasm of the BE teams, even the bb ones, offer no immense concentration for you, then what is it that is left? Is it is the adoration and immense esteem you may hold for a certain Commissioner and his record and agenda? Commissioners come and go, and most fans of schools in respective conferences probably could not name their own Commissioner or really care. However, you seem, by implication and in an abstract way, totally absorbed in an office administrator's agenda, job enhancement/security and legacy. Speculatively, admiration can come from differing motives, be it personal, contractual, relation, or financial. Certainly you are under no obligation to confirm or deny.

What you do declare is regional, northeast pride (will use this term since it is the most positive but maybe not the most descriptive). That is a commendable when it is not looking adversely on others. Coupled with that, though, is the needed recognition that the Big East is not the only conference with significant footprints in the region (i. e. Penn State, BC, Maryland, Ivy League, MAC, etc.). Nor can the Big East claim they are exclusively northeast with members such as Louisville, USF, Cincy, and bb participants ND, DePaul, and Marquette. Other conferences have stretched out as well, into markets not traditionally within established territory. People who are advocating a 9th football in the BE are using this objective in addition to solidifying scheduling matters. You disagree because it is contrary to the status quo and does not fit with the alliance theories you state.

Where you do have communication power is your advocacy for the status quo within the Big East. I must admit, that renders you some advantage in that flaws in any new proposal can be depicted while underplaying or dismissing the positives. On the other hand, to support the status quo by implying unannounced or unexplained alliances with the service academies and Notre Dame lends itself to supporting that not all is right within the Big East.

Last edited by sec03 on Wed May 31, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't care what kind of fan anyone is. Navy, who's supposed to be in the midst of an alliance, just stole half a bowl slot from the Big East in broad daylight. The BE was obviously feckless to do anything about it.

If there's not going to be a split, then I feel for the schools that really are trying to raise their profiles there.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Pounder, agreed and you can bet the Big East offices are beside themselves with this lasted turn of events.

MT may be having second thoughts on strongly denial of any attempts for a football school wanting to split.

I really think Tigersharktwo is the only (supposedly Big East fan) that likes the status quo. Of course the Presidents are going to be conservative until they have to make some sort of move.

I am furious for the Big East football schools losing out to a mid major service academy.

This would not be happening if the Big East football schools could expand to 10 football schools.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Maybe this was posted somewhere here earlier, but pardon me if this is a repeat. Here is an May 25, 2006 editorial from a Sporting News blog by Matt Hayes advocating UCF as a future BE member:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=95237

Much of the string of commentaries in response are similar to much of the posts presented on this site and others.

Last edited by sec03 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.