Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Big East solicited Notre Dame as a member without football?

Did I say that? ;)

Quote:
Probably in much the way an official invitation is "offered" by a conference to an incoming school or a bowl bid to a school; the offer isn't made public until the answer is already known... and the answer is positive.

Of course, the preference was for Notre Dame with football, but I doubt that there was even much discussion about that. Reports at thae time were that ND had already approached the ACC to see if there was interest in ND without football & had been turned down. The bottom line is that even when ND made it clear what the restrictions were, the Big East still invited them, indicating their desire to add ND sans football. Not saying that it was their first choice, but under those conditions, they still felt the good outweighed the bad.

Quote:
History indicates several reasons to give Notre Dame these perks. I'm fairly convinced that the future is different. Of course, I'm also convinced Notre Dame will hold out until well past the "sell by" date due to pride. That happens well after the split is supposed to happen, mind you.

The biggest problem for the football schools after a split is that collectively they have a very limited market. Rutgers is the only football member with a major market. Upstate New York is still a significant market, but as a private school, Syracuse doesn't bring the viewership that a state flagship would bring in a similar market of 6 million. The rest of the schools are either small markets or play in someone else's shadow or both. when they sell this package for a TV contract, they have potential problems.

Quote:
I still hold to the thought that two conferences would have had 10 invitees to the tournament last year, while the one conference ended up with 8. I still hold that the Big East is too large and unwieldly.

I agree. I think that a split makes the most sense for the long haul but they have issues that need to be addressed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Reports at thae time were that ND had already approached the ACC to see if there was interest in ND without football & had been turned down.

The one report I read (I believe it was USA Today) indicated that ND would bring in its FB after 7 years. However, your point remains the same.

Last edited by panthersc97 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:
Reports at thae time were that ND had already approached the ACC to see if there was interest in ND without football & had been turned down.

The one report I read (I believe it was USA Today) indicated that ND would bring in its FB after 7 years. However, your point remains the same.

Thanks for the additional info. I'm sure that your memory is better than mine on this matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Friar,

Did a quick search and found something from MSNBC about this:

The Washington Post reported Saturday that the ACC is working to allow Notre Dame to join the league as a partial member, playing four or five football games against ACC opponents each season for several years before becoming a full member.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3087788

I imagine this was to clear out their schedule. I believe PSU took two years before joining Big10 play in FB (invited 1989 and played their first year 1992).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks again, Panther.

While this was reported as under discussion in 2003, I don't recall anything about partial ACC membership back in 1994 before Notre Dame joined the Big east. Do you?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Thanks again, Panther.

While this was reported as under discussion in 2003, I don't recall anything about partial ACC membership back in 1994 before Notre Dame joined the Big east. Do you?

No..... As far as I know its always been the BE and Big10 until the whole raid was planned by the ACC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

There were discussions between the ACC & ND reported back in 1994 before ND reached an agreement with the BE. As far as I know, ND wanted membership without football & the ACC but the ACC insisted on membership for all sports. ND then turned to the BE. I think that there was always some suspicion that these discussions were never that serious & that ND used them as a means of creating some sense of urgency for the BE to sign them up while they were still available. All rumors & never any public statements.