NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
I was more surprised that they are waiting a year to begin their transition. I'd figure that the WAC would want them joining as soon as possible. They need schools as soon as possible.

I know seriously. Why wait one more year rather than allowing them to join for next season to begin? For the WAC to secure being poached (if possible), it would need at least 2-4 more schools, in case that schools like Chicago St. or UMCK or New Mexico St. or any other school within its current membership to join other suitable leagues within Division I.

Such possibilities for expansion candidates could be like UC-San Diego (although its aim of interest is the Big West) or Metro St. (Col.) or UC-Colrado Springs or CSU-Pueblo or any school from the UCal system or the Cal St U. system (like those in the CCAA). The thing is that almost neither have the funds nor the support to invest or step up, regardless if any of those schools are successful or not in any certain sport.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

jlog3000 wrote:
46566 wrote:
I was more surprised that they are waiting a year to begin their transition. I'd figure that the WAC would want them joining as soon as possible. They need schools as soon as possible.

I know seriously. Why wait one more year rather than allowing them to join for next season to begin? For the WAC to secure being poached (if possible), it would need at least 2-4 more schools, in case that schools like Chicago St. or UMCK or New Mexico St. or any other school within its current membership to join other suitable leagues within Division I.

Such possibilities for expansion candidates could be like UC-San Diego (although its aim of interest is the Big West) or Metro St. (Col.) or UC-Colrado Springs or CSU-Pueblo or any school from the UCal system or the Cal St U. system (like those in the CCAA). The thing is that almost neither have the funds nor the support to invest or step up, regardless if any of those schools are successful or not in any certain sport.

Well cal baptist has been a division 2 school for like four years. I don't think the school would be much better off those schools. At the very least for the schools would already in transition should they lose a school. I would think any of the schools looking at other conferences to at least start the process in the WAC. I could see eventually cal-baptist and cal state Bakersfield to look into joining the big west in the future.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
jlog3000 wrote:
46566 wrote:

Well cal baptist has been a division 2 school for like four years. I don't think the school would be much better off those schools. At the very least for the schools would already in transition should they lose a school. I would think any of the schools looking at other conferences to at least start the process in the WAC. I could see eventually cal-baptist and cal state Bakersfield to look into joining the big west in the future.

I see what you're saying. If it keeps up, it would ultimately lead the demise of the WAC, all just for adding schools that are in transition to move into Division I.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am 
Senior
Senior

jlog3000 wrote:
46566 wrote:
jlog3000 wrote:
46566 wrote:

I see what you're saying. If it keeps up, it would ultimately lead the demise of the WAC, all just for adding schools that are in transition to move into Division I.

Well it works for the Atlantic Sun in the east. Withe the deal with the Big South I expect more Division 2 schools in the east move up there.
Should the WAC ever strengthen up I expect the conference to drop the eastern schools. I expect Chicago state ,UMKC and Rio Grande should be worried. By adding Cal baptist it strengthens their ties out west. They might not force Chicago state and the others out but may make it harder for them to stay.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'm wondering if the reason for the timing on Cal Baptist becoming a full WAC member may have more to do with all the NCAA approvals relating to moving from D-2 to D-1 ???

Sometimes that stuff has only one date per year for paperwork submission, and then they have to wait for some committee to get together at a beach-front resort somewhere to review the documents, and then there might be some period of provisional status, etc....

Just guessing....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The timing is due to 2018 is the first year Cal Baptist is eligible to move up. You have to complete 5 years as a full Dii before you can move to DI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
I'm wondering if the reason for the timing on Cal Baptist becoming a full WAC member may have more to do with all the NCAA approvals relating to moving from D-2 to D-1 ???

Sometimes that stuff has only one date per year for paperwork submission, and then they have to wait for some committee to get together at a beach-front resort somewhere to review the documents, and then there might be some period of provisional status, etc....

Just guessing....

It looks like Grand Canyon University is out of transition after next season. Maybe they are waiting tell they are officially d1 before the expansion. It also gives them some time to find a potential d2 upgrade if need be. Though I think your right most schools wait a year before moving up. Let alone the delay helps in recruiting as I'd figure it would be harder to look into recruiting d1 talent short term.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WAC MB thread discussing possibility of more schools joining the WAC in addition to Cal-Baptist at http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=15326231

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:40 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Chicago State is operating under a five-year contract with the WAC that expires after the 2017-18 season. It makes me wonder if the WAC knew a school like Cal Baptist was planning on joining.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
Chicago State is operating under a five-year contract with the WAC that expires after the 2017-18 season. It makes me wonder if the WAC knew a school like Cal Baptist was planning on joining.

Wait, what!? Since when are contracts a thing when it comes to conference realignment or membership? Because once that happens, Chicago St. would be back to the D-I Indies or find a suitable regional conference, while Cal Baptist would just be their replacement, yet still not enough for the conference to remain its automatic bid on the sports it sponsors.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

jlog3000 wrote:
wbyeager wrote:

Wait, what!? Since when are contracts a thing when it comes to conference realignment or membership? Because once that happens, Chicago St. would be back to the D-I Indies or find a suitable regional conference, while Cal Baptist would just be their replacement, yet still not enough for the conference to remain its automatic bid on the sports it sponsors.

Both Idaho and New Mexico state had a 4 year agreement with the Sun Belt Conference and Umass had one with the MAC for football. They could always extend the deal for every 2 years. It seems like the WAC may be looking to the west. If the next school is a western school then the eastern schools are on there last legs as a WAC school.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces discussing possible future NMSU and WAC realignment situations at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... e/97160926

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 pm 
Junior
Junior

Okay, I started it!

Pie in the sky WAC thread on CSNBBS...

http://csnbbs.com/thread-809480.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Kansas City with comments from WAC member UMKC AD regarding desire for that school to be considered for WSU replacement in the MVC at http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 30799.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Phoenix with comments from GCU AD who denies that his school is interested in joining the Horizon League at http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /421875001

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105