NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:39 am 
Freshman
Freshman

possible conferences that chicago state can go to if they drop to a lower division:
NCAA
Division II
Great Midwest Athletic Conference
Great Lakes Valley Conference
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Division III
Midwest Conference
College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

NAIA
Division I
American Midwest Conference

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:23 pm 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
However, enrollment <2500 doesn't bode well for a future in D-1.

Not sure whether that is the absolute smallest enrollment in D-1

That would be VMI. Total enrollment of 1700.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks JeffConn.

So with 2000 students, it's possible to fund D-1 athletics.
But 60+ scholarships for FCS is expensive (CSU has wisely decided against sponsoring football).
Chicago State's travel in the WAC is just insane....

So WAC is losing CSUB to the Big West. Chicago State could drop down from D-1.
I feel like IPFW could get an invitation to the Horizon (surely they would accept).
Would that leave WAC + Summit at 14 ?
I think they should talk....
Summit wants no part of Chicago State (they previously kicked them out).
Summit can replace IPFW with UMKC, really hurting the WAC.
However, if that happens, the Summit's numbers (9) are still rather tenuous,
and there aren't a lot of expansion candidates other than out west in the WAC.
Would Northern Colorado leave the Big Sky for the Summit / MVFC(#12) ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of KC discussing UMKC current basketball and conference situations at http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co ... 66214.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Article out of Stephenville, TX discussing Tarleton State University potential move to Division I
Potential Division I conferences don’t seem eager to give Tarleton an invitation
http://texannews.net/potential-division ... nvitation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit:This was previously posted in another thread-Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UMKC MB thread discussing GU to MWC report and "possible" future impact on the WAC at http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/10 ... himes-doom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of KC discussing UMKC finances and travel costs associated with WAC membership at http://kcur.org/post/umkc-s-move-travel ... t#stream/0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UMKC MB thread discussing possibility of UMKC leaving the WAC for the Summit league at http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/1054/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Summit and UMKC need each other at this point.

I am being kind when I say UMKC's move to the WAC was "idiotic" !
The WAC offers no rivalries, and travel costs went up astronomically for zero real benefit.
UMKC has to "save face", but if previous administration that made the move to the WAC is now gone,
that seems to remove obstacles for a return.

Summit knows that IPFW is looking at move to the Horizon, but it's not clear when such an invitation will come.
Summit leadership is trying to stay ahead of the game.
As far as available replacement schools - UMKC is SO VERY obvious.

I'll bet it happens within a year. June 30th is the annual deadline for filing such moves with the NCAA, so we may see discussions heat up in May / June timeframe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think we may see the WAC unravel very guickly in the upcoming months if parts of the following scenario come to pass....

CSU- Bakersfield has already announced they will be moving to the Big West.
Chicago State has "issues".
UMKC has no rivals, terrible attendance, high travel costs, and is comtemplating a conference move.
NMSU hates their situation as an FBS independent.

Here's the scenario:
1) MWC invites Gonzaga. Gonzaga leaves WCC. Gonzaga has been blocking Seattle U. from joining WCC (so Zags have control over Seattle / Washington recruiting, etc. With Gonzaga gone, Seattle is invited to WCC.
2) MWC decides to expand FB to 14 teams, by inviting 2 schools for all sports. One is BYU (leaves WCC). The other is UTEP or NMSU.
If it is UTEP, NMSU takes UTEPs spot in CUSA (maybe). So WAC loses NMSU to MWC or to CUSA.
3) to replace BYU, WCC invites: GCU
4) About this time UMKC can finally see the writing on the wall and accelerates return to Summit.
5) Depending on availability of football membership in MVFC, Summit may invited Northerrn Colorado from Big Sky. If that happens, UVU may get invitation to Big Sky (assuming they would accept non-FB member. Also possible that UVU (instead of Northern Colorado) is invited to Summit.
6) UT-RGV ultimately longs for invitation to Southland, I believe. Word has it that several Southland members (LA schools ?) may face SEVERE athletics dept. cuts. [b]This may create opening for UT-RGV in Southland.

7) Which leaves Cal-Baptist.... WCC ? D-2 ? Not sure.....

If you are in the WAC right now, you should be on the phone trying to make friends.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CSUB is gone

UMKC sounds like it’s just a formality that they’ll be returning to the Summit.

Seattle and GCU are likely next in line for WCC is Gonzaga and BYU leave.

NSMU is a fall back for the realignment chaos that ensues if the MWC add another football school not named BYU (MWC/CUSA/SBC are all possible landing spots).

That’s about all I’ll say is likely (and I think I might have gone too far by including NMSU).

Utah Valley, UTRGV, Chicago State, and Cal Baptist are S.O.L. imo.

UTRGV can probably try to get the Texas Legislature to force their way into the Southland but I haven’t seen anything that leads to believe that will be soon, they may have to survive as an independent for a few years.

Wouldn’t shock me to see Chicago State and Cal Baptist to drop down to DII. Depending on the timing of these moves it may be impossible for CBU to complete their DI transition with the WAC.

But man you got to feel for Utah Valley. They aren’t getting an invite to an FBS league like the PAC12 or MWC, the Big West won’t take them (not a UC or CSU school) nor will the WCC (not private).

That only leaves the Summit League who might take pity on them and try to form a Western flank. Assuming UMKC is a done deal, and adding UND they’d have 10 members and the MVFC would have 11 so the only way this makes any sense is if they add another FCS school (like Northern Colorado or NMSU if they drop down to FCS) to join up as well. One of those FCS team and Utah Valley would put the Summit and MVFC at a respectable 12 (and it would give the Summit 6 out of 12 members in the MVFC which could allow them to take over sponsorship for the league). I don’t see the Summit going to 11 with just UVU, they could easily add an DII school that plays good bball closure to their core, and with UMKC and UND they aren’t desperate for members and can afford to wait.

The only other realistic option is the Big Sky who will have 11 full members and 13 in football. They are likely targeting a football member to round out their numbers to a nice 12/14, so NMSU is a likely target, but Utah Valley has had rumors (like UTA) of starting football in the next few years, maybe this is the kick in the butt they need. Perhaps they could get a probationary membership with renewal contingent on starting a FCS team in the next 5 years. Other than that, I don’t see the Big Sky breaking their must have football rule for UVU like they did for Idaho (unless San Diego decides to sponsor scholarship football or another Big West or WCC decides to start a football program and join as football only member then maybe UVU could be the Wichita State like offset to balance out their numbers).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

As you noted, UVU is smack-dab in middle of Big Sky foot-print.
Unfortunately, Big Sky SEEMS to want all members to play football.
Or do they ?
I think all along they knew Idaho would come back to FBS and play Big Sky FB.
Big Sky has had discussions with NMSU - would they allow NMSU to remain in FBS ?
Don't know.
NMSU is way Southeast of current Big Sky footprint.
Northern Colorado is currently quite a bit further east than everyone else.
Northern Colorado joined the Big Sky back when Summit (then the Mid-Con) looked like a far-flung joke.
Might they be interested in looking at the Summit (especially with Denver there) ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

WAC MB thread discussing comments from NMSU President that WAC has started an aggressive membership campaign.Link at http://csnbbs.com/thread-845810.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Any school joining the WAC right now would be guilty of "failure to perform due diligence.

WAC is a "train wreck" on the brink of dissolving...

Every school in the WAC would prefer to be somewhere else...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Any school joining the WAC right now would be guilty of "failure to perform due diligence.

WAC is a "train wreck" on the brink of dissolving...

Every school in the WAC would prefer to be somewhere else...

No kidding. And it has been like that since all football schools switched to new conferences back in the 2012-13 football off-season. At this moment, the WAC will eventually imploded if they don't find any D-2 upgrades that actually fit within the geographic core (i.e.: Colorado, Utah, California, etc.). Otherwise, they are done as a basketball-specified all-sports conference. At least the Big West still remains after losing its football members back in the 2000-01 off-season by re-stocking with schools within California to become a basketball-specified conference.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1636 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next