NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:51 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Would Idaho be adversely affected if UTEP went to the WAC instead of La Tech?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:43 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Would Idaho be adversely affected if UTEP went to the WAC instead of La Tech?

I assume you meant UTEP to CUSA...

I think it would change quite a bit what happens. Because LaTech is in the WAC, adding a school like North Texas, Middle Tennessee, or Arkansas State would make more sense to the WAC because they need to fill in the gap between schools. Idaho wouldn't make sense in that scenario because the WAC has a good number of schools in the area, so what is one more? The point I would like to get across is that conferences should be regional. The WAC was regional with the Texas schools acting as a buffer for LaTech. With all 3 texas schools leaving (Rice, Tulsa, SMU) to CUSA, LaTech now makes no sense in the WAC.

I know that Benson will add schools to "bridge the gap" to LaTech before he adds on a desperate school at the end of its rope (Idaho!, please take us, please, please, please!). ;) If the WAC were to want to go to 12, then Idaho would make good sense along with some other SunBelt schools. Make it into an east-west alignment and LaTech would be very happy. I don't think that'll happen though because it would literally kill the SunBelt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:49 pm 
Trust me, VandalFan, UL, ASU, and UNT are going nowhere. We are in THE BELT. La Tech will either be in CUSA or THE BELT.

peace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:58 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Trust me, VandalFan, UL, ASU, and UNT are going nowhere. We are in THE BELT. La Tech will either be in CUSA or THE BELT.

peace

I agree with you. That was just speculation. I really don't think that those teams would go anywhere. The only one that might think about it would be North Texas, because they are close to the western schools. They would consider CUSA and the WAC. LaTech will only go to the SunBelt if they HAVE TO. There is no way they would give up the WAC for the SunBelt. They don't like the other La schools (Monroe and Lafayette) being in that conference.

I am not against the SunBelt conference. I met the commish, Wright Waters, on campus here. He is a great guy. That conference is tough and resilient. My major point is that I don't think conferences should stretch from Idaho to Florida (SunBelt) and Hawaii to LaTech (WAC). It would make perfect sense for Idaho and LaTech to switch places, but they would never do that unfortunately.

Also, I would like to see that every conference have at least 3 bowl tie-ins. I think it is ridiculous that in the SunBelt and MAC you have to win the conference (SB) or be in the conference champ game (MAC). If you have a good season and come in 3rd, you should be able to go to a bowl game...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:05 pm 
UL, UNT, ASU have formed an agreement that THE BELT is home. UNT has run the numbers. Doesn't work even if Tech is there.

Matter of fact, Tech has come to the conclusion that it's THE BELT or CUSA for them. They are losing money like crazy right now. To stay in the WAC or go Indy would be committing suicide. They have no money for other sports but Women's basketball. They have no money to build facilities. This info. is from THEIR board from people in the know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:31 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
UL, UNT, ASU have formed an agreement that THE BELT is home. UNT has run the numbers. Doesn't work even if Tech is there.

Matter of fact, Tech has come to the conclusion that it's THE BELT or CUSA for them. They are losing money like crazy right now. To stay in the WAC or go Indy would be committing suicide. They have no money for other sports but Women's basketball. They have no money to build facilities. This info. is from THEIR board from people in the know.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I think that many schools (before all this restructuring) were looking at high travel expenses due to conference affiliation. That is why so many schools jumped at the chance to leave conferences that didn't make regional sense. Some left for greener pastures (BigEast teams to ACC and CUSA teams to Big East). Other left for better regional affiliations. Rice, Tulsa and SMU were very happy to leave the WAC for CUSA. That is why it didn't take very long for the decision to be made. New Mexico State and Utah State had been trying to get into the WAC for quite some time, again quick decision.

What has taken so long is the MWC making up its mind who to invite. Now that we know for certain (news conference on Friday) that TCU is leaving CUSA, what we don't know is if they are the only invitee. LaTech would be a good candidate for CUSA. I think that if they have real serious problems (which from your info sounds like they are) they would consider going back to the SunBelt. I think the SunBelt isn't too bad of a conference. Adding some Florida schools and if they got LaTech back, it would be a formidable mid-major conference. Look at the teams it would have: North Texas and LaTech would be the best of them, with some up-and-coming Florida schools to go along with Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee, La-schools, and others. Not too bad.

I can tell you as well that Idaho has very documentable financial problems as well. The WAC makes the most sense for us. If they let us in! :) The SunBelt was not completely terrible with NM State and Utah State, but now that they are gone, we are now by ourselves. Idaho and LaTech are very similar in that they haven't moved conferences (YET! hopefully) and are on the extreme fringe of the conference members location. I think it would be the best for both schools if LaTech went to CUSA or SunBelt and Idaho was in the WAC.

After LaTech and Idaho figure out their problems, the only other issue would be the fit for some schools. Schools like UTEP, North Texas, Temple, ECU, etc. These schools are in conferences but may want a better conference, or in the case of Temple are looking for a home. The point to me would be that the decisions for these schools wouldn't be geographically and financially linked, but rather be based on which conference they would prefer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:12 pm 

Here's my picks for conference membership...

WAC

Hawaii
Fresno State
San Jose State
Nevada
Boise State
Idaho*
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP

This would make a GREAT Western Conference
the WAC could Keep 3 Bowls, and maybe swing another bowl in El Paso, TX (Sun Bowl)
Idaho Deserves to Be in the WAC, i thought it was wrong for the WAC to not invite them in the first place... with this format, better Rivalries can be Formed...

I hope La Tech can get into either CUSA or goes to the Sun Belt...

think about this...Maybe the MAC will go crazy and add La Tech for it's Western Division, and Temple for it's Eastern Division and go back to 14 Teams!!! That would be Crazy ;D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:18 pm 
Why does CBS still televise that game?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:24 pm 
With the exception of the spurious appearance by TCU in 1998 (Big Ten sent two teams to the BCS and was unable to fulfill its obligation), the last WAC team to appear in the Sun Bowl was Arizona in 1968.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:36 pm 
KIBBIE DOME!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:53 am 
Well, the good news for the WAC is that it appears no one will be leaving for the MWC for at least a few years. While we all wanted our team in the MWC, we are relieved to not have been left behind. A loss of more than one WAC team could have been fatal. I think this conference can be pretty good if it can be kept together for a while.

As far expansion, I think they need to add both North Texas and Idaho as soon as Lousiana Tech leaves (I pray it is them, and not UTEP). I spent some time in a thread regarding 1-AA schools that may be ready to move up, and the only one in the west even close to meeting attendance requirements is Montana, who it seems, is not particullarly motivated to leave the Big Sky. Thus the WAC should act to strengthen Idaho the only way possible, by including it in the league. Otherwise it might not be there a few years down the road when you need it due to another round of expansions or the loss of weak programs(San Jose).

North Texas would be a great addition. With three solid programs in Boise, Hawii and Fresno - the rising of a few more teams could make this a very respectable conference. I wouldnt be surprised to UTEP, Utah State, UNT, or Nevada playing at the top of the WAC within 4 years (of joining). But this conference needs to be big enough to sustain membership losses, and proactive about developing new members.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Well, the good news for the WAC is that it appears no one will be leaving for the MWC for at least a few years. While we all wanted our team in the MWC, we are relieved to not have been left behind. A loss of more than one WAC team could have been fatal. I think this conference can be pretty good if it can be kept together for a while.

Good points white guy (You don't happen to be Dave Mathews do you? He refers to himself as a non-discript white guy often).

The WAC, IMO, is on its way to being a good srong conference, IF it can figure out a way to stay together. As an FSU alum I have to admit that I was pulling for the Dogs to get an invite, but now I find myself relieved that the MWC has looked eastward.

IMO, no WAC team is slated now to get an invite unless the MWC goes to 12, something I believe won't happen in the forseeable future now that TCU is a member. The divisions don't work well no matter how you slice them with TCU + any three others. If they decide to go to 10, it will be a Texas school (probably Houston).

The TCU invite has given the WAC a future and they have an opportunity to make it a golden one. FSU, BSU, and Hawai'i are three strong mid-majors that all show the ability to sustain their success. UTEP and Nevada seem to be on the way to respectability. They both have shown a new dedication to fb by their coaching hires. Price is, IMO, one of the best coaches out there. If he can win at Wazzu, he will win at UTEP. Ault got the whole state exited about Nevada football once and could very well do it again. That could be five strong teams in the next couple years, a solid core.

USU and NMSU should show some improvement, being in a more suitable conference than the Sun Belt. How much though is anybodies guess. I hope they do well. SJSU...well that may be an issue, but they are trying to enhance the capus experience with a new staff/student super dorm etc. That may get some community support built.

Idaho needs to be added. I know they suck, their facilities suck, and their financial situation sucks, but they are the ONLY remaining 1A program in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. If they could only get their act together, they have shown they can be competitive. They used to beat both BSU and Nevada on a regular basis. The WAC needs them as an insurance policy if nothing else...remember SJSU.

North Texas?...Don't know, they don't fit the geography, have no history with any other schools, and really aren't that good afterall. IMO, not right now.

Also, IMO, the presidents need to understand that no invite will come before the next BCS contract (6-7 years) and sign a binding no MWC agreement or a $5.000.000 exit like Big East for at least that span. Stability is the one thing the MWC has over the potential of the WAC. The WAC becomes stable...look out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:41 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I believe Benson has mentioned partial members to help keep minimum participation requirments for certain sports. If that is the case perhaps Idaho, Portland, SLO, N. Arizona, UC-Davis, UC-Riverside, etc... get invites as partial members, Idaho can stay FB in sunbelt and if and when they start making improvements to the program then the WAC could extend a full memebrship offer.
I would think Portland, N. Arizona, and Idaho would except any such offer. the UC's and SLO may not, but would certainly consider it.
If the WAC losses La. Tech that would drop membership to 8. Bring in Idaho (non FB for 2 years until improvements are made), and N. Zrizona as non FB member to round it out.
I suppose the big question is would bringing in partial members cause problems or would it help solidfy the WAC?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:32 am 
Ah, you forgot Sac State if they leave the Sky. Sac would rather be in the WAC than the SKY for non-football sports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:46 am 
Senior
Senior

I am not a fan of partial memberships. They tend to make the definition of your conference a little fuzzy and that certainly is not what the WAC needs right now. However, I'm happy to hear that Benson is at least looking at the possibility. The WAC needs to keep all its options open for a while.

I wouldn't want to ask anyone that does not show a realistic plan for establishing and maintaining a 1A football program. While partial memberships may be needed right now to meet the minimum sports requirements, I wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Idaho, N Arizona, and Portland State all have the potential in 1A, but may not have the will to commit to 1A...its expensive! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 99  Next