NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:49 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Ah, you forgot Sac State if they leave the Sky. Sac would rather be in the WAC than the SKY for non-football sports.

Hey Sac, what is the state of football at Sac St? Do they have any visions for the future of the program?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:46 am 
Are partial memberships for non-revenue sports even worth discussing in terms of overall realigment possibilities?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:47 am 
i.e. am I to assume that the Big South's instability is in some part predicated on the fact that Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is an associate member in women's softball?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:59 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Are partial memberships for non-revenue sports even worth discussing in terms of overall realigment possibilities?

Partial memberships are a BAD idea.
If the WAC goes to this, who do they look like? ???

Answer...The SunBelt

That would be a sign of panic. Grabbing 1AA football teams to maintain the conference.
This is why Idaho has to be at the top of the list even with all of their shortcomings. Until they are rescinded they are still the only available Western 1A football option for the WAC as a replacement for any defection.
8-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:29 am 
http://www.csus.edu/news/012804masterPlan.stm

The new Sac State president is from Fresno State. The football coach is from Fresno State. If you follow the above link you will notice an upgrade to Hornet stadium including a new fieldhouse, closing in the stadium and adding luxury field boxes. All university administration is full bore into elevating the athletic teams, including football. I have heard that Tsakapalous will provide the $$ to make the football stadium upgrade possible.

It will take a few years, but Sac wants to be in the same league as SJSU, Nevada, Fresno et al. The Olympic Trials are being held at Sac this July, so I will be anxious to hear what announcements are made, it will be a big media event. So I think the new Prez is waiting for that audience to announce formal positions.

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=8278

The 23 players signed looks like a good mix of speed and size.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:41 am 
The new Sac Prez, Gonzalez, is testing the fund raising waters of Sacramento. I am sure during the next five months before another announcement in June, Gonzalez will be soliciting the demand and resources available for upgrading.

Sac has never solicited on a grand scale money for facility upgrades, especially athletic upgrades. They raised $50M about six years ago with an apathetic president and athletic department. And completely rebuilt their baseball and softball stadiums last year. The crew facility is tops in the nation, for what thats worth.

The growth envision is a holistic approach, not centered on one sport, department or group. Football is an important mechanism in maintaining the 'flagship' status Gonzalez is seeking for the school.

I think making Sac State a residential campus will do wonders for the school and athletic department. I am excited.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:28 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

Partial memberships are a BAD idea.
If the WAC goes to this, who do they look like? ???

Answer...The SunBelt

That would be a sign of panic. Grabbing 1AA football teams to maintain the conference.
This is why Idaho has to be at the top of the list even with all of their shortcomings. Until they are rescinded they are still the only available Western 1A football option for the WAC as a replacement for any defection.
8-)

Of course I agree with this statement!!! :) I think that Idaho is a good replacement in the WAC because they are western, play 1-A, have some history with current WAC members (Boise State, Utah State, NM State, Nevada-Reno). I think someone hit the nail on the head when the said that the WAC is Big West II. Look at the teams (Boise State, Nevada-Reno, Utah State, NM State and Idaho if we get in). But I think that the football will be better because of the rest of the competition and the strong bowl tie-ins for the WAC. Also, I think the new WAC (if LaTech leaves, which I am assuming) would be a nice Western Conference. 9 members with Idaho, similar in structure to the MWC. I think it would be perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:49 pm 
Junior
Junior

Sac State, Montana, Montana State, UC Davis, Cal Poly SLO, Eastern Washington, etc. would all be good additions to the 1-A ranks. Will it happen for any of them? I don't think it will, IMO. Look at the cost of going to 1-A and the current budget situation for most of these states. Nearly all of these schools are state schools, which rely heavily on state money. I just don't see it happening. The best prospects would be Sac State and Montana.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

Of course I agree with this statement!!! :) I think that Idaho is a good replacement in the WAC because they are western, play 1-A, have some history with current WAC members (Boise State, Utah State, NM State, Nevada-Reno). I think someone hit the nail on the head when the said that the WAC is Big West II. Look at the teams (Boise State, Nevada-Reno, Utah State, NM State and Idaho if we get in). But I think that the football will be better because of the rest of the competition and the strong bowl tie-ins for the WAC. Also, I think the new WAC (if LaTech leaves, which I am assuming) would be a nice Western Conference. 9 members with Idaho, similar in structure to the MWC. I think it would be perfect.

Dont forget, Fresno State was also from the Big West (though they left before BSU, Nevada, and Boise joined).

Vandal, today's link of the day is the WAC board. I've been visiting that board a bit lately and there seems to be a true hatred of Idaho by the BSU fans. During my brief stint at Idaho (79-81) Boise was a heated but respectful rivalry and lots of fun. What has happened to foster what seems to be an honest hatred of the Vandals by the Broncos? Although the Boise prez says he would support Idaho's acceptance he stopped short of sponsering the Vandals. Could Boise ultimaely hold up an Idaho invite? That would be a bummer. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:48 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

I also frequent the WAC board and there is some serious hatred going on there between Burros and Vandals; Something about the Vandals stabbing the Burros in the Back a few years back.

Anyway my question is to Vandalfan. I have read recently that the Vandal Prez is/was/will make presentations to the presidents of all WAC schools. Rough plans for a new football stadium are supposedly included. Do you have any info regarding the presintation or the stadium?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:10 am 
Kibbie Dome! Every 2005 WAC member has PCAA/Big West connections with the exception of UTEP...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:29 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

Dont forget, Fresno State was also from the Big West (though they left before BSU, Nevada, and Boise joined).

Vandal, today's link of the day is the WAC board. I've been visiting that board a bit lately and there seems to be a true hatred of Idaho by the BSU fans. During my brief stint at Idaho (79-81) Boise was a heated but respectful rivalry and lots of fun. What has happened to foster what seems to be an honest hatred of the Vandals by the Broncos? Although the Boise prez says he would support Idaho's acceptance he stopped short of sponsering the Vandals. Could Boise ultimaely hold up an Idaho invite? That would be a bummer. :(

When you were here, that was the last of the respectfulness. I think that after we beat them 12 straight years from 82-94, it introduced some bad blood. There has also been bad blood between the administrations of the schools. This is one of those rivalries wherein entire generations of families are either broncos or vandals. You grow up that way and it stays that way.

The new Boise president has started to calm the turf wars between all the schools. BSU thinks that it is superior in athletics to UI. Lately on the field that has been true. However, UI has very good academics (much better than BSU) and conference affiliation has hurt us. I think that Boise won't support us getting into the WAC. Yet, I'm not sure that they would vote against us. I think that it will happen regardless. BSU is probably still bitter about MWC not picking them as a 10th school. I think it makes good sense in Idaho to have both BSU & Idaho in the same conference. Then that makes these heated rivalry games more meaningful than an ooc game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:35 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
I also frequent the WAC board and there is some serious hatred going on there between Burros and Vandals; Something about the Vandals stabbing the Burros in the Back a few years back.

Anyway my question is to Vandalfan. I have read recently that the Vandal Prez is/was/will make presentations to the presidents of all WAC schools. Rough plans for a new football stadium are supposedly included. Do you have any info regarding the presintation or the stadium?

Burros? LOL :) I haven't heard anything about this. I do know this, the current interim president is a huge UI alum. He is a big supporter of Vandal Athletics. He has given millions to this school for buildings, Vandal Athletic Center and Vandal Scholarship Fund. He is currently traveling and won't be back for some time. Maybe his is out making presentations...

I would like to see a drive for a stadium. When our last president was here, he often said that when he left, a new stadium would be a project for the next president. It would be nice to see. There would have to be substantial support from alums as the financial situation is very bad in Idaho. We have cemented plans for athletics with a new head coach and athletic director. I would love to see an outdoor stadium. The Kibbie is nice, but football is meant to be played OUTSIDE! It is a bit cold here, but what is more fun than a snow game?

We will see if this story materializes. I think that Idaho will get into the WAC, of course. But the fact that maybe we have a plan for a stadium might cement that status for the other members who doubt our viability because of the KIBBIE DOME.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:38 pm 
Where is the WAC chat room? Is it linked to this URL?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:42 pm 
The phrase just pretty much sums up Idaho's relative unattractiveness to the WAC and why there are now in a conference with schools in Mobile and Miami...

Idaho has the best recent historical pedigree (prior to entry into I-A) of any Sun Belt member, and arguably of any recent I-A upgrade with the exception of Marshall...Dennis Erickson, Keith Gilbertson, John L. Smith all cut their teeth at Idaho...but "Kibbie Dome!" seemingly prevails...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next