NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 99  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:44 pm 
VandalFAN:
What configuration would UI take with expanding the Kibbie? Is Kibbie expandable? Or would the school build a stadium from scratch? Has there been any prelim cost projections for a new stadium?

I am sure facilities will be the sticking point for any conference shuffles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:19 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
The phrase just pretty much sums up Idaho's relative unattractiveness to the WAC and why there are now in a conference with schools in Mobile and Miami...

Idaho has the best recent historical pedigree (prior to entry into I-A) of any Sun Belt member, and arguably of any recent I-A upgrade with the exception of Marshall...Dennis Erickson, Keith Gilbertson, John L. Smith all cut their teeth at Idaho...but "Kibbie Dome!" seemingly prevails...

I agree with you. However, since the rule change from 30K stadiums to 15K averages, you would think things would change. We can average that. NCAA allows one neutral site, so playing in Seattle or Martin Stadium would have us meet the requirement easily. I've talked about it before. I think Idaho will make it, but supposedly having the Kibbie Dome hurts us? I don't know about that. I think it is more that we haven't done well on the field and the WAC won't look to us until they have to...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:27 pm 
I overlooked the change from 30K capacity to 15k average...that does bode better for Idaho under the circumstances...when will the WAC "need" Idaho badly enough to render "Kibbie Dome!" irrelevant...that's the real question...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:28 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
VandalFAN:
What configuration would UI take with expanding the Kibbie? Is Kibbie expandable? Or would the school build a stadium from scratch? Has there been any prelim cost projections for a new stadium?

I am sure facilities will be the sticking point for any conference shuffles.

Currently, they are finishing a Vandal Athletic Center on the East End of the Kibbie Dome. This will house offices, 7,000 sq ft of workout facility and a hall of fame. I have been privy to several alternatives for a new stadium and/or expanding the dome. The expansion options for the dome were:

1-adding a horseshoe on the west end, expanding seating to somewhere around 20K+. This option costs around $15 Million (this was a few years ago, maybe more $$ now)

2-completely expanding the dome, adding another concourse and additional bleacher seating above where the current seating is. Double the capacity to 32,000 and having a completely new roof. This option cost $45 million and while I thought it was very cool, it was not even looked at.

3-build a new outdoor stadium very close to the Kibbie Dome, being able to use the Kibbie Dome as an indoor practice facility and the possibility of switching some games indoors (nov and dec games). This option was thought to cost around $30million for 30,000 seating. There is a natural hill right by the kibbie dome, and building an outdoor stadium would be great there. It would create an atmosphere similar to that of Autzen or Martin Stadiums.

Option 3 makes the most sense to me. We can use the Dome in its current multi-use facility (it houses indoor track & field, mens & womens bball, concerts, Jazz Festival, graduation, etc.). Having an indoor facility such as that would be great because we wouldn't need a practice field, we would all ready have one.

Here is another option that was wildly thrown around as well. Building a dual stadium to house both WSU and UI home games. It would be 55K plus seating and be very adaptable to both schools. Cost split and logistics made this more of a dream than anything...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:35 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
I overlooked the change from 30K capacity to 15k average...that does bode better for Idaho under the circumstances...when will the WAC "need" Idaho badly enough to render "Kibbie Dome!" irrelevant...that's the real question...

The answer, IMO, is when LaTech accepts an invitation to CUSA.

I hope that these next changes are smaller in magnitude. MWC picked only TCU for their conference. CUSA will select one other replacement. I really hope that the Big East doesn't go looking again, and that conferences will be stable for at least 10 years before looking to change. I think that the mega conferences (Big10, Pac10, Big12, ACC, MAC, CUSA) are all pretty set. CUSA will get the one replacement needed. That leaves MWC (which is done for now), WAC (if needed) and Big East (looks to be done for now).

What I don't want is something to happen whereby Big East picks from CUSA, CUSA takes from MAC, MAC takes from SunBelt, MWC takes from WAC, WAC and SunBelt think to merge, etc... I guess what my hope is that after a few changes [CUSA takes one, WAC takes one] that this will finally be DONE! Then we can start talking about schedules and bowls and everything will be back to normal again! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:50 pm 
The thing is, the WAC knows that Idaho wants out of the SBC and that it holds all the bargaining power...short of "Kibbie Dome!" becoming resolved, I don't see Idaho admitted until WAC is down to 7 and needs an 8th to be recognized as I-A conference. Loss of Louisiana Tech would bring WAC to 8...loss of Louisiana Tech would not force the WAC's hand...the next move...provided that it would result in the loss of only one school, would make Idaho the 8th member of the WAC (provided that El Paso is furthest East that the WAC reaches)...if the WAC were to lose Louisiana Tech to C-USA, and then only one other school, Idaho is in the clear...if not, then things get really messy...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:29 am 
Sac State to add 4,000 seats to football stadium. The Olympic Trials are being held in July at Sac State and this was found in today's Sacramento Bee.

"Looking ahead II
McCasey, when asked what would be different about the 2004 Olympic Trials: "We won't lose any money."
The 2000 Trials here incurred $1 million in debt, a figure cut in half when the city and county of Sacramento elected to forgive a combined $500,000 in loans.

There will be a few changes for 2004. The most noticeable new wrinkle should be the additional 4,000 seats planned for the north side of Hornet Stadium, pushing capacity to around 27,000."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:52 am 
Senior
Senior

From the WAC forum. Apparently the AD's are meeting today in San Diego. Also, according to the post below the North Texas AD will be making a "major" announcement at halftime of their basketball game on Thursday... For what is worth. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:02 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
From the WAC forum. Apparently the AD's are meeting today in San Diego. Also, according to the post below the North Texas AD will be making a "major" announcement at halftime of their basketball game on Thursday... For what is worth. ;)

I just checked the UNT message board ... their insiders are already saying it has nothing to do with conference affilitation.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:48 pm 

North TX doesn't belong in the WAC, neither does La. Tech, especially since the eastern WAC members have left...

The WAC should remain "Western" and add Idaho...drop La. Tech and go to 9 teams...

Hawaii
Fresno St.
San Jose St.
Boise St.
Nevada
Utah State
New Mexico State
UTEP
Idaho*

9 teams=perfect conference for scheduling, everyone gets to play each other, 4 home games and 4 away games...easy to get that 5th home game needed against a 1-A opponent...Everyone will be happy...The WAC and MWC definitely need a bowl against each other, maybe either in California or Las Vegas, or Boise Idaho...??

The WAC will survive because it needs to survive, even if a couple of teams drop out of 1-A, because There isn't another Western Conference that will take in those WAC Schools that remain in 1-A, the PAC-10 won't take those schools, maybe Hawaii...and the MVC doesn't want another 16 team conference....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:00 pm 
Junior
Junior

http://idaho.theinsiders.com/2/237697.html

Looks like Idaho has been courting the schools in the WAC. I really hope this happens and Idaho gets admitted. It would work perfectly. We would become much better because our recruiting base would match up with our competition. Also, closer games are a selling point with recruits. Their families and friends can see them play when we come into town. Let's face it, Louisiana, Tennessee and Florida aren't exactly hotbeds of talent for Idaho. We get most from the NW and actually quite a bit from California.

I think Idaho makes good sense. LaTech makes good sense for CUSA as well. Let's swap! I hope CUSA hurries up and makes their decision soon! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:29 pm 
If the University of Idaho want to be in the WAC or any other DI-A conference, they should make more of an investment in having DI-A facilities. You can’t look at 2014 for how it could be. Any university must be considered with what it has at present. Speculation can then be projected with at least the basics of DI-A in place. To be considered into any DI-A conference (including the present Sunbelt), a school should have at least the minimum in facilities on their own campus. On the outside, the facilities should be in the building process, with a reasonable time table allowed for completion. This business of having football games in Washington to meet the numbers is not acceptable. This is the University of Idaho and should have its own. A conference should only consider those schools that have at least the facilities. The risk must have at least a chance with facilities, for making the needed investment in that school. Any DI-A conference should insist on the minimums before anyone can look at them seriously. To enter a conference, a school must have the conference requirements for their level of play and can only survive with these basics in place. Many of the institutions have invested through the decades in becoming and maintaining their DI-A status. Many have done this as a independent while building themselves. UI must make that investment to show their sincerity and commitment to DI-A, then look to join in with a DI-A conference. .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:37 pm 
Ucla plays their football games miles if not hours durning traffic away from their home campus so your argument that the facilities should be on campus are poor.... why does the palouse need 2 30k stadiums ??? Make 1 55k on the boarder!!! a domed one!!!!!! Football should not rule division one status Uof I has many fine programs that compete at the NCAA finals level!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:34 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
.... UI must make that investment to show their sincerity and commitment to DI-A, then look to join in with a DI-A conference. .

I call BS. If the WAC loses too many programs they take Idaho. Simple as that. Idaho doesn't have to "show sincerity" to anyone. Would Idaho probably be in the WAC if their stadium sat 24K? Sure. Everyone is pretty aware that the stadium issue is hanging over their head, but if their travel expenses were lessened they would have a lot more money for facility upgrades. Idaho is clearly trying to raise money and improve.

The arrogance of the WAC in not admitting them---if it is anything but doing the sunbelt a favor in holding off---is sickening. Idaho may athletically and financially be a bottom feeder in Div 1 today, but in the WAC they would have as much potential as any other school. The only thing the WAC is doing is increasing the amount of recovery time Idaho will take to rebuild their program when the WAC is forced to invite them.

Last edited by finitemanworks on Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:24 am 
Now NOW, UCLA is not looking for a home. Idaho is. UCLA still plays in CA. Idaho doesn’t, at this time, if it wants to play DI-A under the regulations. A school places a lot at risk if it is counting on the help of outside governments. Just pay your dues and you will be accepted. Idaho should go Independent, until they prove they belong. Many DI-A school will play them and they can still gain in what they need (DI-A minimum in facilities and attendance). Speculation on 2014 is not enough. I do bid UI best wishes, but UI has to put out or return to another division. Let the facts speak for themselves. Look at what is being presented and do the improvements to achieve what they are trying to accomplish. Yes, other will help, but first Help Yourself UI. Make the upgrades needed, then come knocking. Maybe you will find someone home...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 99  Next