NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:35 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Although I am an easterner, I would have to say that it totally makes sense for Sacramento State to be in the Big West. Why go up to Montana, Idaho and Utah to get beat when you can do it in your own state. And a football league with Cal Poly and UC Davis can't be all that bad.

The Big West (now being a totally California-based league after Idaho goes to the WAC or drops back to the Big Sky) can now call itself KingCal.

Last edited by civilrat on Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:15 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Actually, Idaho will join the Sunbelt for all-sports in 2005, but might not even make it that far if LA Tech leaves for CUSA to replace TCU. Idaho might top the list simply based on geography.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:31 am 
Will San Jose State drop football and join the BW?
Will Sacramento State drop football and join the BW?
Will San Diego State drop football and join the BW?

Each of these schools sponsor extremely mediocre football programs and they are not drawing big crowds. What is their future?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:18 am 
Sacramento State could very well join the Great West Conference in Football, San Jose, because of attendance, might drop down and do the same...If they do drop down to I-AA, San Jose State might be a pretty good I-AA team, they would probably go 7-5 or so...

San Diego State is not going anywhere...they will stay in the MWC forever!!!...the MWC teams will always love a late season away game at San Diego because of the weather...and having a California tie-in in a Western League makes too much sense...They will make sure San Diego State is well taken Care of..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Will San Jose State drop football and join the BW?
Will Sacramento State drop football and join the BW?
Will San Diego State drop football and join the BW?

Each of these schools sponsor extremely mediocre football programs and they are not drawing big crowds. What is their future?

San Diego State went 6-6 and drew 23,000 for football. Now this isn't exactly Michigan, but where are you come from with this assessment? San Diego State is not even at risk for 1A guidelines? You need to check the facts on this first.

San Jose St. IS at risk.

Sac State may wait a year or two and assess the new league, but it has to look inviting especially if the BigWest will have them for all sports.
8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:27 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

http://www.sizzly.com/forum/act/show/id/536/mid/2713

Sac State / Big West Article

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Well, at least it won't be long before attendance standards are clarified, though I think the issues with that pertain more to downward movement than upward movement. Get your 15,000 per game audited, enjoy the ride.

Sac State averaged 6,846 per game this last year, down from over 7,000 in 2002. Not too encouraging for dreams of joining the WAC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:34 pm 
Hey there daddywags, thanks for the info on SDSU. Apparently they are doing fine with attendance. I just heard rumors floating around but they are not substantiated.

But I know that San Jose State is just postponing their own death in football. They keep dragging their feet thinking that next year will be better than last year. It is just not a truly viable program and they are closer now than ever in following the footsteps of every other CSU that has dropped football. Most of the students don't care and the faculty is actively trying to get rid of the program. It seems like the only people trying to save the program are a group of about ten that post messages on the San Jose State fan board.

Sacramento State. Who knows. It may take another year to get all the information on their switch to the Big West.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I hear rumors about San Diego State up here. The rumors have nothing to do with a "1-A vs 1-AA" decision. They have to do with "how the heck do we fund football?"

It's bad enough to average 23,000 in a large stadium. Having that in a stadium you don't own, with a major league client, and therefore appropriate rent, that could be a problem. I don't know the details, but I surmise that 23,000 in San Diego is about as bad as 15,000 in Laramie.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:38 pm 
Granted, San Diego State is located in a large metropolitan area, but what else is there to do in Laramie on a fall Saturday afternoon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Please excuse me for the tangent here...

I'm reassured by comments about Wyoming and never again scheduling three November home games.

I've done Laramie in November. I pull into a parking spot along a side street while a radio announcer mentions 55 degrees, so I left half my cold weather gear in the car. BIG mistake. (One word: WIND) If a November storm hits, well, try driving there sometime, no matter the direction you approach from. Heck, driving there in good weather is a painful experience (I usually drive from the West, YMMV).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:47 am 
Junior
Junior

Folks at Sac State are talking about going to the Big West, and Great West for football.

http://www.statehornet.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/03/30/4069c9fde3522

Conference affiliation should be localized

Tom Hall
Sports Columnist
March 30, 2004

One of the most important decisions in modern Sacramento State history will be made April 27-28 -- will students fund the proposed Recreation/Wellness/Events Center on campus?
Another question nearly as important will be asked very soon, but only one person -- not 25,000 -- holds that answer in his grasp.

President Gonzalez, which athletic conference do you fancy? . . .

The Big West seems tailored for Sacramento State, but there is one little problem: the Big West doesn't sponsor football.

That will be the critical question for Gonzalez: What do we do with football? Gonzales shouldn't drop the sport, but shouldn't let it stand in the way of smart business, either. . . .

One possibility is the newly created Great West Football Conference. Before it joined the Great West this year, UC Davis' football team was without a conference for 10 years. Just ask any Aggie -- it's impossible to build any non-Causeway Classic rivalries with an inconsistent annual schedule.

Critics of the Great West will argue that Sac State shouldn't leave the Big Sky -- where the regular-season champion earns an automatic berth in the Division I-AA playoffs -- for a conference without an automatic bid. But seriously, when was the last time Sac State was a threat to make a playoff run? Does anyone see it happening before 2007, the first season the Great West champion will be playoff-bound? Give the program time -- Coach Mooshagian and his staff will make the team matter, but not before the basketball team makes it to ESPN.

Until then, let's prioritize our sports -- get our respectable teams in the Big West and figure out the rest later. The future of this destination campus depends on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:55 am 
Folks?!, you mean one student reporter?

It is easy to write about any fantasy you personally want as a student reporter. It is not the consensus on campus. The schools is happy with its association with the Big Sky Conference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
The Sacramento State Athletic web site reported that its school is CONSIDERING a move to the Big West conference for all sports and playing in a football only conference with future BW member UC davis amongst others. Here is the article:

A multi-use arena, health and fitness center was endorsed today by a campus task force and the President of California State University, Sacramento.

The new facility would house basketball, volleyball and other activities, including commencement. The center will be included as part of a new master plan proposal for the campus that will be forwarded to the CSU Board of Trustees for preliminary approval next week.

CSUS President Alexander Gonzalez said the proposed multi-use facility would draw minimally on state funds, and would be dependent on community and student support.

Gonzalez said, “We’re at square one now. We’re doing our homework in terms of carefully planning this.”

The improvement of facilities was a key area addressed by the athletics task force in its seven-page report, which includes 10 specific recommendations. The group was appointed by Gonzalez last semester.

Two other key recommendations endorsed by the President are to re-evaluate conference affiliation and to have the director of athletics report directly to the President.

The task force also recommended a committee, including community members, be established to study the University’s public relations. The nature of campus and community relations emerged during the study as an issue needing attention. Graduation rates of athletes also came to the attention of the task force along with the need for programs to support student athletes.

With the state and University facing a difficult budget, the task force emphasized the role that the public would need to play in helping improve athletics. The report states, “In the current budget environment, any changes that reallocate funding from other programs at the University will be opposed by the campus (community).”

David Raske, a professor of education who chaired the task force said, “As we noted in the report, a successful athletics program enhances the campus community. Therefore, any budgetary changes that distract from the rest of the University’s ability to serve its mission would be counterproductive.”

The report to the President concludes that each of its 10 recommendations, while specific to athletics, is intertwined with numerous other campus issues including a growing residential student body, public and campus relationships, campus environment, and “continuing the development of an outstanding academic environment which engages and excites not only the mind, but the body and spirit.”

The athletics task force was established in October 2003 and directed to conduct a program review, research issues and needs, analyze program benefits and submit its work by the end of December. The report has since been under review by the president. The task force undertook numerous community interviews and two public meetings.

The 10 members of the task force included faculty, students, staff and the community. They are: Bill Campbell, Cindy Collins, Eric Guerra, Phil Hitchthingy, Equilla Luke, Stephen Perez, Steve Pleau, David Raske, Gloria Solomon and Peter Ucovich.

The full report is available at www.csus.edu/president/athletictaskforce.htm. Media assistance is available from CSUS public affairs at (916) 278-6156.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Lots of news on this front. You already know about the senate at SJSU endorsing the removal of the football program there.

Sacramento State students have voted to fund a new 8,000-seat arena for their basketball team.

Hawaii's men's volleyball coach has said that the Big West would be the best fit for all the university's sports, except football.

The WAC is on the verge of collapse. UTEP is gone. SJSU and La Tech could bolt in a second. If either of them leave, they take the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA baseball and basketball tournaments with them. Idaho would bring nothing to the conference; it's in the middle of nowhere, has no marketability, and doesn't have baseball.