NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:08 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SBN blog article discussing possible expansion options for the Summit League at https://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/6/ ... and-canyon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Fargo-Moorhead discussing Summit League realignment situation at http://www.inforum.com/sports/4293168-i ... an-trouble

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So if IPFW leaves, they'd be down to 8,with not too many expansion candidates in their footprint.

Option A - raid the WAC (this would destabilize the WAC, and possibly push them below the minimum)

Option B - propose merger with the WAC (which would stabilize BOTH conferences).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
So if IPFW leaves, they'd be down to 8,with not too many expansion candidates in their footprint.

Option A - raid the WAC (this would destabilize the WAC, and possibly push them below the minimum)

Option B - propose merger with the WAC (which would stabilize BOTH conferences).

Wait, the option of grabbing a few D-II schools within their footprint is out of the question?

Plus, if the Summit and the WAC would merge into one, it means one of them would still be active and the other would be gone.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

About 10 years ago, there was a 5-team conference out west called the Great West.
They never got critical mass, and never got an auto-bid to NCAA tourneys.
Eventually, those teams all wound up in Summit, Big Sky, WAC (I think NJIT was in there and recently joined the ASun ?).
That conference DID dissolve.

I meant to say a merger that would stabilize the situation for the MEMBER SCHOOLS now currently in both the Summit and WAC, but YES one of those conferences would go out of business.
And that would mean a loss of auto-bid wherever both conferences have one now.
But where both conferences now lack critical mass (below minimum number of teams to sponsor a sport), they could potentially get to that number through a merger.

Yeah, some D-2 move-ups could also be a solution, HOWEVER, they are not considered full D-1 members for a few years, and are often ineligible for conference and NCAA post-season tourneys until then. And although some writer may insist that "Augustana is making D-1 rumblings", that mans NOTHING in terms of any move being imminent.

I think there is a good chance IPFW is gone in next year or 2. Western Illinois may have to wwait longer to get an invitation from a conference further east. You didn't see any mention of MVC or Horizon looking at them, or did you ? I dunno. McComb, Illinois is not a "TV market" - it's a corn field.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Great post tute.

However...

The WAC and Summit have something that the Great West never did. A pre-exsisting autobid. And the NCAA has shown leniency in allowing conferences to keep their exsisting autobids, especially when they'd be losing them as a result of conference realignment raiding.

The NCAA doesn't want to approve new bids if it's doesn't have to, but taking away bids is bad for business. Odds are that WAC and Summit will be allowed keep their bids and grow organically, even if they fall below the minimum member requirements for a few seasons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Agree. The NCAA would likely cut them some slack for a few years (they may have actually done this for the WAC a few years ago, right after Karl Benson fled the WAC for the Sun-Belt and took several teams with him).

The one place the auto-bid is most relevant is Men's basketball. Because it gets you a minimum of one team into the tourney.
So even if you are a "one-bid" conference and get clobbered in the first round, I think the appearance in the opening round entitles the conference to 1 payment unit. Not sure what that is worth these days - $1-2 million ???

So that "guaranteed money" would have to be figured into any decision-making.

I'm not sure that auto-bids in other sports equate to significant money, and all sports other than FBS football (the CFP) have at least 50% at-large slots, so theoretically deserving teams have a legitimate shot at getting into playoffs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Macomb with comments from WIU AD regarding Summit League realignment at http://www.mcdonoughvoice.com/sports/20 ... ce-changes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UMKC MB thread(previously posted in another thread)discussing speculation that UMKC will in the future leave the WAC for the Summit League at http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/10 ... ports-info

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:16 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I just found this web page which looks like a page to announce UMKC's return. You can't get there from the Summit League home page so it probably wasn't meant to be found yet.

http://www.thesummitleague.org/members/umkc/index

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:51 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I really would like to see Nebraska Kearney & Minnesota State Mankato along with readding UMKC. I think that UNK & MSU would be good additions for the footprint, but also I think MSU would be competitive for football, but not sure how people feel about Kearney. There's not much there and the teams are average D2. If TV exposure is part of it getting into Minneapolis couldn't hurt. If these 2 were added the MVFC would have 12 teams which is manageable and they could have a East/West Division split & a championship game on campus or somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Summit League MB thread discussing possibility that UMKC "could" return to the Summit League at http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.ph ... oming-back

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:01 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I have no idea why the Summit would want UMKC back in the fold??

Seems like they could hand pick an up and coming school from DII that would have more potential than UMKC.

I would leave UMKC in the WAC and look elsewhere if I were making the decision. ...UMKC would accept an offer from the Summit anytime in the future....no need for the Summit to hurry...UMKC has no where to go. Plus, if UMKC isn't even certain they want to stay at DI....is another reason to be patient if you are the Summit.

Big XII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I have no idea why the Summit would want UMKC back in the fold??

Seems like they could hand pick an up and coming school from DII that would have more potential than UMKC.

I would leave UMKC in the WAC and look elsewhere if I were making the decision. ...UMKC would accept an offer from the Summit anytime in the future....no need for the Summit to hurry...UMKC has no where to go. Plus, if UMKC isn't even certain they want to stay at DI....is another reason to be patient if you are the Summit.

The Summit doesn’t have a lot of realistic options (I wrote a pretty detailed list a page back if anyone wants more information). They aren’t adding anyone in the Dakotas or likely anyone new East of St Louis as IUPUFW is leaving for the Horizon as soon as the invite comes along and then Western Illinois will be their furthest outpost. There are no real options in Wisconsin or Iowa in DII so that leaves you with 3 major areas for expansion: Minnesota, Missouri, and Colorado; and 3 minor areas with only a handful of options in Kansas, Nebraska, and around Oklahoma City.

Minnesota makes the most sense and they have some great options that would fit in well with the Summit. The smartest move would be to add a pair of schools and solidify their base.

Denver may not want anymore schools to move up in Colorado and the Summit may not want to add more schools that expand their travel budget (though as a side note could see them grabbing Utah Valley if they were ever worried about numbers). This doesn’t seem like the best or likeliest expansion option.

Missouri is the missing heart of the Summit. Close enough to their Dakota/Nebraska base, and still logical for their outposts to travel to. There are some good options but UMKC is a known member and is located in Kansas City which will help bridge the Kansas gap in the conference and basically sits on the Missouri river that runs through the base of the conference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UMKC was not terribly competitive in the Summit before they left.
Some theorize that somebody in the administration thought they might do better in the WAC
(I suppose you could rationalize that thinking, but the increased travel had to be a killer).

Anyway, UMKC is a perfect geographic fit.

They are now going through an "athletics analysis" (a drawn out way of "saving face", which will ultimately conclude that they will be better off elsewhere, and "Gee, the Summit looks like a nice fit !"). Although other than main campus (Missouri-Columbia), the other branch campuses (Missouri-St. Louis, and Missouri-Science & Technology (formerly known as Missouri-Rolla)) are in D-2.

UMKC COULD decide to drop to D-2, but I think they will conclude a return to the Summit would be a vast improvement over their current affiliation.

They need the Summit, and the Summit needs them. Tom Douple in the Summit office should be greasing the wheels for them to return.

The Summit could stand to invite yet another school or two, to prepare for the eventual departure of IPFW. Start by looking within the Summit's footprint (assume IPFW is gone, so don't look east of the Mississippi River). Don't see any great options other than to raid the WAC. Maybe Northern Colorado (Big Sky) would consider a move to the Summit / MVFC if offered BOTH as a package....doubtful, but they could inquire) If the Summit decided to raid the WAC, I'm thinking UVU might be the target.

I believe the Summit League office needs to get moving on this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next