NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:57 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

As a North Dakota fan, I am happy to be in the Big Sky, as most UND fans are. There aren't alot of UND fans who like Douple. He played in the nickname game, which ticked off a lot of folks. He even received a negative rating from the NDSU president over his involvement.

I don't think UND plans on going to the Summit, as everything that I've heard they are pleased to be in the Big Sky, especially with the recent addition of Idaho. Between Idaho, Montana and North Dakota, you have a nice northern tier of flagship schools. I even read that Idaho had an escape clause if the Montana schools and/or North Dakota left before Idaho joined. Conferences are not just about the athletics. They are about the academics and who your peers are in the conference. I like the peers in the Big Sky.

UND is different from the other Dakota schools, due to hockey, which is a big cash cow at UND. North Dakota has been ranked either first or second in the country in the past 5 years... http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/d ... 2013-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they play in the nicest hockey arena in the world....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVG_HhgRgA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone mentioned the Summit managing the NCHC. No way that is going to happen.

UND does not need the Summit. Quite pleased in the present situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

pcola wrote:
As a North Dakota fan, I am happy to be in the Big Sky, as most UND fans are. There aren't alot of UND fans who like Douple. He played in the nickname game, which ticked off a lot of folks. He even received a negative rating from the NDSU president over his involvement.

I don't think UND plans on going to the Summit, as everything that I've heard they are pleased to be in the Big Sky, especially with the recent addition of Idaho. Between Idaho, Montana and North Dakota, you have a nice northern tier of flagship schools. I even read that Idaho had an escape clause if the Montana schools and/or North Dakota left before Idaho joined. Conferences are not just about the athletics. They are about the academics and who your peers are in the conference. I like the peers in the Big Sky.

UND is different from the other Dakota schools, due to hockey, which is a big cash cow at UND. North Dakota has been ranked either first or second in the country in the past 5 years... http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/d ... 2013-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they play in the nicest hockey arena in the world....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWVG_HhgRgA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone mentioned the Summit managing the NCHC. No way that is going to happen.

UND does not need the Summit. Quite pleased in the present situation.

But what about the old North Central Conference days UND had with the other Dakota schools and others that were part of that league before it eventually dissolved (traditionally and competitively alike)? Have they tossed it out through the window too? I wish that UND had a travel partner to join the Big Sky at that time they were invited to that conference (specifically like South Dakota). But never happened. Speaking of South Dakota or the other Dakotas, and as the UND and Big Sky fan that you are, you don't think that they're the right peers also?

Speaking of that hockey conference, the NCHC, if it might happened, that means that some of the Minnesota schools (who are in D-II; and are literally close to North Dakota; specifically St. Cloud St. & Minnesota-Duluth) must upgrade to D-I and join the Summit for other sports (Oly sports or all sports alike).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

But what about the old North Central Conference days UND had with the other Dakota schools and others that were part of that league before it eventually dissolved (traditionally and competitively alike)? Have they tossed it out through the window too? I wish that UND had a travel partner to join the Big Sky at that time they were invited to that conference (specifically like South Dakota). But never happened. Speaking of South Dakota or the other Dakotas, and as the UND and Big Sky fan that you are, you don't think that they're the right peers also?

Speaking of that hockey conference, the NCHC, if it might happened, that means that some of the Minnesota schools (who are in D-II; and are literally close to North Dakota; specifically St. Cloud St. & Minnesota-Duluth) must upgrade to D-I and join the Summit for other sports (Oly sports or all sports alike).

UND is looking West, not east. UND has large number of alumni in Denver, Phoenix and Seattle/Portland. The Bakken Formation has also changed things in North Dakota. Western North Dakota has become a vast rich oil field, making North Dakota #2 in oil production. UND has started a petri engineering degree to help move things in the West.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the NCHC, "if it might happened". It did happen. http://www.nchchockey.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

New fan board rumors are circulating that UMKC is returning to the Summit League next year with official announcement scheduled for later this academic year. The source of the rumors is usually pretty reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Rabbit74 wrote:
New fan board rumors are circulating that UMKC is returning to the Summit League next year with official announcement scheduled for later this academic year. The source of the rumors is usually pretty reliable.

Really? How interesting, even if it's just rumors. It would be back to the former Summit again back in the 2012-13 season (with Oral Roberts, who returned to start this season after 2 years in the Southland), just only having Denver along with that. However, if that's successfully and officially confirmed, what would be the future of the WAC with just 7 members?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The WAC is a collection of schools that all want to be elsewhere.
Chicago State good booted out of the Mid-Con (now Summit) for violations.
Seattle wants to be in the WCC.
NMSU wants to return to the Sun-Belt.
CSU-B want to join the Big West.

At the time UMKC moved out of the Summit, most of us thought it was a "weird decision".
The WAC is unstable, and imposed horrible travel requirements on a school based in Kansas City.
UMKC was having trouble competing in the Summit -
then either invest in getting better, or investigate dropping down to D-2, like Sister schools UM-St. Louis and UM-Rolla (now known as Missouri S&T).
rather than joining an unstable far-flung conference like the WAC that has been on and off it's deathbed.

If the Summit wants them back, returning to the Summit would be a same decision, if for no other reason that to ease the travel burden.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Rabbit74 wrote:

Really? How interesting, even if it's just rumors. It would be back to the former Summit again back in the 2012-13 season (with Oral Roberts, who returned to start this season after 2 years in the Southland), just only having Denver along with that. However, if that's successfully and officially confirmed, what would be the future of the WAC with just 7 members?

I figure they would at least try and get NJIT in the conference. While not a great pick they are really the only warm body left in division 1. Maybe the WC could be looking for the MVC to add north Dakota as a football only member and add North Dakota to fill UMKC's place. Though i would think that the Summit could just easily add North Dakota also to get 11 all sports teams.(they could have 20 conference games in basketball)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:57 pm 
Senior
Senior

WOW! UMKC to the Summit....That's INCREDIBLE. What a grab by the Summit. There is nothing stopping the Summit from going all the way next year. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Geez, what a let down for a news item. UMKC couldn't even get over 10 wins in the WAC. I almost think the Summit would be better off without UMKC.

Post subject: Summit League Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:37 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I could see Chicago State possibly being welcomed back simply because most of their former conference mates are gone:

Buffalo (MAC)
Centenary (Division III)
CCSU (NEC)
Northeastern Illinois (no athletics)
Oakland (Horizon)
Southern Utah (Big Sky)
Troy (SBC)
Valparaiso (Horizon)

That leaves UMKC and Oral Roberts, who have both had their "year abroad", and Western Illinois as schools that shared the Mid-Con/Summit with Chicago State. Chicago State also has baseball, in which the Summit League desperately needs members, and in which UMKC does not field a team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78