NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Who will join the Socon?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:49 am 
FAU isn't scheduled to leave the Atlantic Sun until 2006-2007, Wright Waters said so on the Sun Belt Conference webpage this week.

Belmont, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, Georgia State, Jacksonville, Mercer, Stetson: that's seven members who will have been with the A-Sun for at least five years prior to the 2006-2007 season. The A-Sun would have to see at least two defections consumated before Lipscomb's tenure in the conference has reached five years (I am not sure if their first A-Sun season was last season or is this season). Personally, I don't see any of the "core 7" going anywhere, Georgia State's aspirations be d**ned. The A-Sun began stockpiling teams in the late 1990s knowing that the day was coming when the football schools (UCF, FAU, Jacksonville State, Troy State) would depart en masse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:57 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

gardner webb didnt join until 2002 so they dont count till 2007-2008 season. im going under the assumption they joined during the summber of 2002 which means they didnt start competeing until the 2002-2003 season.

so if fau will hang around and help out they wont lose it. however, if caa expansion goes through ga st. would be attractive to the socon if it wanted a replacement basketball school.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

and since we are talking about the asun...why did cambell leave the big south for the asun and why isnt gardner webb a full big south member. both schools are in nc and so it would make more since for them to be w/ other nc, sc and va schools wouldnt it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:32 am 
Like I said, the A-Sun is quickly fulfilling its "Manifest Destiny" of being the conference of small private/religious schools in the South, which is the basis on which it was founded, as the Trans America Athletic Conference in 1978. Its 2006-2007 membership will feature seven such schools (Belmont, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, Jacksonville, Lipscomb, Mercer, Stetson) and two "others" (ETSU, Georgia State). The Big South Conference has become more fragmented in its "blocs."

Birmingham-Southern, Charleston Southern (football), High Point (?), Liberty (football), and Winthrop are smaller religious schools. Coastal Carolina (football), North Carolina-Asheville, and Radford are public (liberal arts?) schools. Virginia Military is a predominantly male military academy.

It is rumored that the TAAC was approached by the Big South about "sharing" the duties of a football-only conference (mind you Samford had not yet even announced its departure for the OVC at this time), but the TAAC and its schools declined. In an ideal world, there would an extensive membership changeover between the Big South and the SoCon so that each would have homogenous membership, but that simply isn't going to happen. I am surprised that Birmingham-Southern is in the Big South (closest conference opponents are in South Carolina), but perhaps the A-Sun has just not gotten around to inviting them yet...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:46 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

high point doesnt have football and liberty is the only religious school in the big south. all the others are smaller liberal arts schools, minus vmi.

public
winthrop
radford
coastal
unca
vmi

private
birming. south
charles. south
high point
liberty

i agree with you about birmingham southern, they would make more since in the asun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:00 pm 
Obviously you are closer to Rock Hill, SC, but I am pretty sure that Winthrop is private (Presbyterian? Methodist?). The question mark after High Point was because I wasn't sure whether they were public or private, not whether or not they had football...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:07 pm 
I stand corrected on the issue of Winthrop, you were right, it is public.

current Big South factions as follows...

private/religious: Birmingham-Southern, Charleston Southern (FB), High Point, Liberty (FB)

public/liberal arts: Coastal Carolina, North Carolina-Asheville, Radford, Winthrop

other: Virginia Military

Looks fairly polarized to me. Does Longwood (public/liberal arts) become the 10th member once they move up to D-I? If membership numbers get low enough, is Savannah State (HBCU) invited?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:09 pm 
Coastal Carolina, VMI, and Savannah State all have football programs...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i think longwood is pretty much guaranteed an invite from what ive heard, and i guess savanah st is just kinda there if anyone needs them. if someone leaves the meac, like hampton for the socon or famu to the sunbelt, then they would be a good replacement i guess.

also go to collegeboard.com if you ever need to know if a school is public, private, religious, etc. very useful tool.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:12 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

why is savanah st. an indy anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:19 pm 
See Morris Brown. Presumably SSU joined D-I under an assumption that the MEAC would certainly invite them as the 12th all-sports member (10th football member), but needless to say, that didn't happen. MBC was assured by former Drake basketball coach/SWAC Commisioner Rudy Washington that the SWAC wanted a presence in Atlanta, and that Morris Brown would be that presence...well, we see what happened there.

Question: if FAMU, Hampton, etc. leaves the MEAC, does Tennessee State (HBCU in OVC) inquire about MEAC membership? Supposedly FAMU leaving the MEAC could spell the end of the MEAC's automatic bid to the I-AA playoffs...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

im gunna start new thread so this can get back to being about socon expansion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:20 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hey phoenix, any new news?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:51 am 
No, new news.

Things are pretty quiet. Considering it is mid-Feb, I don't expect anything to start popping up unti lafter tournament time.

The last thing you want for you school is the mess Elon created for itself last year.... meaning, Elon announced it was leaving in Feb, then the entire conference is gunning for you, and the ref seem like they are calling against your team all the time.

All I am hearing is CoC and UNCG leaving, I'm not hearing anything for Coastal. I hear Hampton's name come up still. I don't hear anything about ETSU or Georgia St. And I hear that App's new chancellor has spoken out against moving up to I-A.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:56 am 
Yes, I too have heard the Longwood has been pretty much guaranteed membership into the Big South. As for the Big South not having definition. The Big South started out in 1983 as a mixed conference with Armstrong State, Augusta, Campbell, Charleston Southern (then Baptist College), Coastal Carolina, Radford and Winthrop. 4 publics and 3 privates.

Considering Daivdson, UMBC, Towson, Elon, UNCG, UNCA, Liberty, Birmingham Southern, VMI, High Point have all come into the conference at one point or another for all sports, you can see that the conference has kept a good status quo balance.

As for why Campbell left? I'm not sure. They moved to the TAAC when they were by far the most northern school in the conference. As for Gardner-Webb, I think that academics were an issue for the conference (as G-W has had scandals and such).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next