NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:43 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Say the MVC adds Butler and Oral Roberts. They would split into 2 division, East and West.

Missouri Valley Conference

Eastern Division
Bradley
Butler
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Southern Illinois

Western Division
Creighton
Drake
Northern Iowa
Oral Roberts
SMS
Wichita State

With the Horizon League losing Butler, they act by adding Valpo.

Horizon League

Cleveland State
Detroit
Wright State
Youngstown State
Illinois-Chicago
Loyola (Chicago)
Wisconsin-Green Bay
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Valpo

Then the Mid-Con reacts by adding North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Denver, IPFW, and Texas Pan American

Mid-Con Conference

Western Division
Denver
Northern Colorado
North Dakota State
Southern Utah
South Dakota State
UMKC

Eastern Division
Cenetary
Chicago State
IUPUI
IPFW
Western Illinois
Texas Pan American

Last edited by sportskc on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:12 pm 
Junior
Junior

Interesting, however the Mid-Con would need one more school to do a Div. split. The other thing that I noticed is that with a North/South split Southern Utah is still forever far away from any of the schools. Just some quick observations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:42 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Say the MVC adds Butler and Oral Roberts. They would split into 2 division, East and West.

Missouri Valley Conference

Eastern Division
Bradley
Butler
Evansville
Illinois State
Indiana State
Southern Illinois

Western Division
Creighton
Drake
Northern Iowa
Oral Roberts
SMS
Wichita State

With the Horizon League losing Butler, they act by adding Valpo.

Horizon League

Cleveland State
Detroit
Wright State
Youngstown State
Illinois-Chicago
Loyola (Chicago)
Wisconsin-Green Bay
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Valpo

Then the Mid-Con reacts by adding North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Denver, IPFW, and Texas Pan American

Mid-Con Conference

Western Division
Denver
Northern Colorado
North Dakota State
Southern Utah
South Dakota State
UMKC

Eastern Division
Cenetary
Chicago State
IUPUI
IPFW
Western Illinois
Texas Pan American

I like this version better but I can't see the MVC taking Oral Roberts, and were did Oakland go? If you put Oakland in for IPFW it works.

Last edited by 89rabbit on Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:09 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:

I like this version better but I can't see the MVC taking Oral Roberts

Agreed. And I've been real big on the "Western Kentucky to the MVC" bandwagon...of course that all depends on what happens with their 1A aspirations and the Sunbelt in general. But add WKU and Butler to the MVC and you've got a great conference.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Last edited by Quinn on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

WKU had a real bad 90s in bb. Will they maintain their recent success or has national bb recruiting and ESPN permanently hurt their program? They used to get Kentucky talent that didn't go to UK or UL. And that was plenty. Now UK hardly recruits anybody from Kentucky, but the Kentucky players go everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:37 pm 
What about SDSU going to the Horizon, or MVC. They have great Mens and Womens teams (The Men are #5 in Div. 2 and the Women are #1 and defending National Champions)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:55 pm 
Flip flop UMKC and TX-PA, then put the west in a western conference, and it's a deal!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:47 pm 

Quote:
What about SDSU going to the Horizon, or MVC. They have great Mens and Womens teams (The Men are #5 in Div. 2 and the Women are #1 and defending National Champions)?

Not going to happen. SDSU has to prove themselves first as a Div I independent. In 2010 or so, it might be in the Mid-Con or have formed a new conference with other independents. With a few winning years, a year 2018 invite to the Horizon might be possible; 2025 for the MoValley.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:53 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Quote:

Not going to happen. SDSU has to prove themselves first as a Div I independent. In 2010 or so, it might be in the Mid-Con or have formed a new conference with other independents. With a few winning years, a year 2018 invite to the Horizon might be possible; 2025 for the MoValley.

BUZZZZZ!

Ummmm, this is supposed to be a joke, right?

I can think of a few DII upgrades that gained membership even before upgrading:

UC-Davis to the Big West
Binghamton to the AE

Wasn't Stonybrook also DII as well? Hell, NDSU and SDSU aren't stretches to be considered by the Big Sky. If a Big Sky school were to leave (say if Sac St. dropped football and went to the Big West) you'dsee both those schools invited asap.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:55 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

BUZZZZZ!

Ummmm, this is supposed to be a joke, right?

I can think of a few DII upgrades that gained membership even before upgrading:

UC-Davis to the Big West
Binghamton to the AE

Wasn't Stonybrook also DII as well? Hell, NDSU and SDSU aren't stretches to be considered by the Big Sky. If a Big Sky school were to leave (say if Sac St. dropped football and went to the Big West) you'dsee both those schools invited asap.

Agreed! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:57 pm 

Quote:

TEXT

This is not a joke. A priority of the Mid-Con is to maintain its automatic bid. With all the membership changes going on, provisional Div I members do absolutely no good to a conference. The Big West now, with UC-Davis, and the AE, with Binghampton in '99 or so, did have concerns about losing their auto bid. Also, the transition rules now are much stiffer that they were in the late '90s. If the Mid-Con expands now, they will go with a Div I school with proper credentials. Div II schools moving up now would only get consideration 1-2 yeras before their full Div I eligibility. If you don't believe me, I suggest you ask Ron Bertovich, the Mid-Con commissioner.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:02 pm 
In the previous post, the following sentence should have read as:

The Big West now, with UC-Davis, and the AE, with Binghampton in '99 or so, did not have concerns about losing their auto bid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:59 pm 

Quote:

This is not a joke. A priority of the Mid-Con is to maintain its automatic bid. With all the membership changes going on, provisional Div I members do absolutely no good to a conference. The Big West now, with UC-Davis, and the AE, with Binghampton in '99 or so, did have concerns about losing their auto bid. Also, the transition rules now are much stiffer that they were in the late '90s. If the Mid-Con expands now, they will go with a Div I school with proper credentials. Div II schools moving up now would only get consideration 1-2 yeras before their full Div I eligibility. If you don't believe me, I suggest you ask Ron Bertovich, the Mid-Con commissioner.

So you and Ron are tight huh. ::)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:21 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

UC-Davis got added just this last year. They are one year ahead of the Dakota Schools as far as transition goes. The rules are in the process of being relaxed. It is looking more and more like SDSU and NDSU will be eligible in all sports by 2008/2009.

That being said it looks to me (living in Mid-Con country) that the move to expansion has more to do with driving down travel costs. The Mid-Con currently has 9 members for Auto bid purposes. They would have to lose many schools to be worried about losing their auto-bid. IMHO, I don't think there are enough teams that other conf. would want for this to be a short term problem for the Mid-Con. I could be wrong though, I don't Ron Bertovich personally. ;)

P.S. please see Mid-Con Exp. thread for more details.

Last edited by 89rabbit on Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:12 am 
Junior
Junior

Just a little update on SDSU's Basketball team. So far this year, the Men are 16-0 ranked #3 in the nation. They should move to #1 in the next D-II poll as both #1 Southern Indiana, and #2 Humboldt State lost this week.

The Women's team is ranked #6 and are the defending NCAA D-II Champions.

The Jackrabbits would be a nice addition to any of conf. IMHO.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sundayarticle2.shtml

Jackrabbit men win battle of unbeatens

From staff reports

published: 1/4/2004

Andy Moeller's free-throw line jumper gave South Dakota State a four-point lead with 15 seconds remaining as the Jackrabbits held on to defeat Michigan Tech 64-60 in a battle of unbeaten teams Saturday in Houghton, Mich.

Moeller had team highs of 15 points and 10 rebounds.

SDSU, ranked No. 3 in NCAA Division II, is 16-0. Tech, ranked 11th, fell to 8-1.

Tech had rallied from double-digit deficits in each half and took the lead at 57-56 on two free throws by Bob Evans. But back-to-back baskets by Jared DeJong and a field goal by Derrick Schantz pushed the Jacks on top 62-57.

Evans then hit a 3-pointer, cutting it to 62-60.

Schantz and DeJong each had 12 points whille freshman Ben Beran had 10 points and nine rebounds.

A 3-pointer by Marquise Richardson at the buzzer gave the Jacks a 37-29 halftime lead after Tech had rallied from a 30-17 deficit to get within 32-29. SDSU opened a 43-29 lead following two free throws by Beran with 16:11 to play, then Tech's defense led the comeback that saw the Huskies tie the game at 49. SDSU had just four second-half field goals before DeJong scored at the 3:32 mark, putting the Jacks on top 58-57. The Jacks finished the second half 8-for-22, 36.4 percent.

But the Jacks still outshot the Huskies 46 percent to 31.1 percent, and SDSU had a 40-33 rebounding advantage.

Josh Buettner led Tech with 24 points while Evans had 10.

The Jacks were against shorthanded as neither Matt Jones nor Josh Cerveny made the trip to Michigan.

SDSU will open North Central Conference play at home next weekend, hosting the University of South Dakota on Friday and Nebraska-Omaha on Saturday.