NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I think they need a new name for the Big Sky Conference. How about the Rockies Athletic Conference.

RAC North
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

RAC South
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
Weber State

Plus in the future do you think they would consider adding Denver and Utah Valley State as BB only members?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:08 am 

Quote:
I think they need a new name for the Big Sky Conference. How about the Rockies Athletic Conference.

RAC North
Eastern Washington
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State

RAC South
Northern Arizona
Northern Colorado
Portland State
Sacramento State
Southern Utah
Weber State

Plus in the future do you think they would consider adding Denver and Utah Valley State as BB only members?

This would and could be a 1-A conference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:23 am 
Junior
Junior

More news from the BSC President's meeting.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Tuesdayarticle1.shtml

Big Sky looking at expansion
Chris Solari
Argus Leader

published: 8/10/2004

SDSU will submit official letter of interest

The Big Sky Conference presidents meeting Monday in Salt Lake City gave South Dakota State officials the responses they were looking for.

Yes, the league is strongly considering expansion. And, yes, the Brookings university is a potential target.

The Big Sky, a Division I league which spans seven states, issued a release after the meeting saying the Presidents Council, "discussed adding between one and three schools or remaining at the current eight-team makeup."

"Who knows whether we'll add any schools or three schools. But we established a timeline," Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton said. "We owe it to the schools that are out there, and to the Big Sky for future stability." . . .

Fullerton made calls late Monday afternoon to schools which had already expressed an interest in joining the conference, including SDSU.

"I don't think there are any surprises," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "It's really good stuff. We've always said they're a very good conference. We'd be proud to be a member of that conference, should it all work out."

The next step is for those schools which are interested in membership to submit an official letter of interest to the league. Fullerton expected those to be due by Oct. 1.

The Big Sky's presidents also more clearly defined the criteria upon which prospective schools will be judged. Candidates which have already expressed interest in membership - such as SDSU, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah - will receive questionnaires on topics such as:

• Academic quality

• Athletic competitiveness

• Commitment to gender equity

• Commitment to student-athlete success

• Geography with regards to travel distance and time away from school for athletes.

"I think we feel good about what we accomplished today," said Eastern Washington President Stephen Jordan.

Prospective members must also support all 13 of the league's core sports. Of the four mentioned suitors, only SDSU offers all 13 of those sports.

Fullerton added that the two components which could carry greater weight are geography and academics.

"They are a little bit of trump cards," he said. "You could be the greatest school in the world. But if you're in Miami, Florida, we wouldn't take you."

Upon the return of letters of interest and questionnaires, the Big Sky presidents are expected to meet again in November. At that time, Fullerton said, officials from interested schools may be asked to attend and make their sales pitch for inclusion.

Campus visits by Big Sky officials will be scheduled for early in 2005 for schools which are still under consideration for an invitation. A final decision on expansion is expected by April 2005.

"We want to move the process along pretty quickly now," said Geoffrey Gamble, Montana State's president. Gamble took part in the discussion via teleconference due to a canceled flight. . . .

Fullerton said having an odd number of schools in the league benefits football scheduling, while an even number is good for basketball.

"If we have an opportunity to get one institution that matches up to the criteria, we'll take one," he said. "If it's none, it's none. If it's three, it's there."

The presidents of the Mid-Continent Conference, the other league mentioned as a potential home for SDSU, met in early July and said they would continue to examine expansion. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:22 am 
"They are a little bit of trump cards," he said. "You could be the greatest school in the world. But if you're in Miami, Florida, we wouldn't take you."

That is symbollism for 'you are to far away'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:47 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

No, not necessarily. It could mean that Southwest Missouri State is too far away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:05 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:

I did pick up on Fullerton's oh so subtle point, thanks for your help, however he is the one that said they would look at all schools "West of Minneapolis". More important then what Fullerton thinks (because he dosen't get to vote on who gets and invite) is what the President's are saying. Montana State President Geoffrey Gamble said ""From my perspective, the Dakota schools have always been in the packages I've been interested in,"

If the BSC adds two or three schools SDSU and NDSU are in. If they only add one look for it to be UNC. By the way, I like your "Land of the Lost" user name.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:21 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Apparently, I need to leave this board. The next time I see a 12-team conference suggestion, I'm gonna hurl. ::)

Well, check that. I believe there's a reason for that multi-function Rolaids. ;D

EDIT- yes, my attitude needs an adjustment today.

The only kind of amenable Big Sky alignment with 12 means augmenting the gap between Flagstaff and Sacramento.

Last edited by pounder on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:54 am 

Quote:

Montana State President Geoffrey Gamble said ""From my perspective, the Dakota schools have always been in the packages I've been interested in,"

Perfectly said from someone who was not at the meeting because his remote location canceled its only flight to civilization.

Adding programs in BFE is not overly exciting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:26 am 
windy weather,

you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

::)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:15 am 
dakota cosmopolitan? Isn't that a misnomer?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:41 pm 
I don't think you've been to Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Fargo, Grand Forks and Bismarck lately, now have you? You cleary don't know what you are talking about.

::)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

I know the 12-school alignment is getting played out, but I think that's definitely the best way to go. NDSU and SDSU fit into the geographical footprint nicely, UNC would definitely add some good competition in football, and SUU would bridge the gap between Flagstaff and the northern teams nicely. It would also provide some insurance in case a team either decided to move to I-A (Montana being the most likely), or if Sacramento State decided to go the way of Northridge State.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:12 am 
Junior
Junior

Highlights of a story from SUU land.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595089534,00.html

T-Birds interested in joining Big Sky
By Jay Hinton
Deseret Morning News

CEDAR CITY — When the Big Sky Conference announced the possibility of expansion, naturally, Southern Utah University took note.
"We'll put our name in the hat and see what happens," SUU athletic director Tom Douple said. "We compete in a lot of sports with the Big Sky Conference."
For the last two decades, SUU has been the little brother looking in at the Big Sky Conference. It petitioned to get into the league in 1996 and was denied, but a lot has changed in eight years.
Since jumping to the Div. I level in the late 1980s, the institution has bounced from conference to conference before settling in with the Mid-Continent Conference in all sports but football and gymnastics in 1997. . . .

It's unknown how many of the current Great West Football Conference members are petitioning into the Big Sky, but North Dakota State, South Dakota State and Northern Colorado would also have great arguments of getting into the league.
When discussions of the GWFC first started, the subject of losing teams to other conferences would be a possibility. . . .

Currently, the T-Birds play baseball and softball, which are non-participatory sports in the Big Sky. SUU could make an agreement with the Mid-Con to continue participation in that league in baseball and softball.
Also, SUU would have to add volleyball and women's golf.
Campus visits of prospective schools could begin early in the spring with the final decision on expansion coming late in the spring.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I was in Eugene Sunday morning, looking at some box scores, and noticed that Western Washington drew over 11,000 against Central Washington.

I guessed right, as the game was played at Qwest Field in Seattle. Western plays their home games at Bellingham Civic Stadium, which only holds 5,000.

I think 11,000 still might demonstrate that Western has potential to move up, and the Sky would be the place for them (assuming they had the major share of that crowd). They'll have serious facility issues to work with to get there, of course.

It's really interesting to follow the Great West data this year. It's easy to see that the Big Sky would certainly be interested in North Dakota State (NDSU would be second in attendance in the Sky right now), it's kind of surprising that Northern Colorado isn't a better draw given recent D2 success, and the plans with the coming new UC Davis stadium make you wonder...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:44 pm 
Junior
Junior

Big Sky story that is good news for SDSU a pretty good football school and a great basketball school.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=26422

• Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton says the conference is exploring expanding from eight schools to as many as 12 in the next two years.
“We’re always looking at expansion, because every conference has to look at that as a way to protect themselves,” Fullerton says. “If it makes sense for the conference and for the school, we’ll probably expand sometime in 2006.”
Schools in the Great West Football Conference, including Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, North Dakota State and Cal Davis, are likely targets for expansion.
Fullerton said the Big Sky would expand primarily as a way to help its basketball programs, which often have trouble scheduling opponents.
Division I conferences must have at least seven schools to receive an automatic berth in the NCAA men’s tourney; the Big Sky has eight members, just over the limit.
“That tournament is worth around $3 million a year to our schools, so we’re always looking at what other conference realignments might do to our conference,” Fullerton says. “We’re looking at other schools as a way to protect ourselves in case anything unexpected happens in the near future.” . . .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next