NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:40 pm 
Just thought I would forward this message to those Jackrabbit fans out there... Don't know where this person got their insight!!! But I suppose if the Jacks do join the MCC, I'm sure they would leave an escape clause in case the opportunity arose to join the BSC.

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles/humphrey.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:57 am 
I honestly see Sac ditching their football program.

Montana may or may not move up to DIA. That's fine with me, it makes the Sky almost completly "state" schools.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This should be fun. The final numbers are in:

BIG SKY CONFERENCE . .Att . . . . . G . . . .Avg
Montana. . . . . . . . . . 160,368. . . . 7 . . 22,910
Montana State. . . . . . 74,192. . . . 6 . . 12,365
Northern Arizona. . . . 49,366. . . . 6 . . . 8,228
Idaho State. . . . . . . . 33,236. . . . 5 . . . 6,647
Eastern Washington . 38,797. . . . 6 . . . 6,466
Portland State. . . . . . 35,549. . . . 6 . . . 5,925
Weber State. . . . . . . .34,735. . . . 6 . . . 5,789
Sacramento State. . . .24,870. . . . 5 . . . 4,974

GREAT WEST CONFERENCE Att. . . G . . . Avg
North Dakota State . . . . . 79,614 . 6 . . 13,269
South Dakota State . . . . . 39,384 . 4 . . .9,846
Cal Poly SLO . . . . . . . . . . .41,974 . 5 . . . 8,395
Cal-Davis . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29,010 . 4 . . . 7,253
Northern Colorado . . . . . .27,370 . 6 . . . 4,562
Southern Utah . . . . . . . . .19,197 . 5 . . . 3,839

Keep that Great West list in mind as Big Sky expansion talks continue. Don't be surprised when geography is not necessarily the prime consideration for expansion. We can probably assume what our dear geog would say about the importance of flagships and this list.

In the meantime, Portland State had 7,735 two years ago, Sacramento State had 7,263 two years ago, and Weber was up over 8K two years ago. Sac and Weber both stunk up the field while Portland State finished 7-4, so you can guess what I'm thinking about Portland right now... not that this news is any great shakes for Sac. Will the folks in Ogden fire up another bake sale?

Meanwhile, Montana State is progressing in the stands, while regressing a bit on the field. Maybe the Montana legislature won't have to play the "both schools together" card to keep Montana from moving up, if the Griz wants to go.

Last edited by pounder on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:35 pm 
Weber State's Big Sky spot is saved in bball. Same with East Wash.

This is also what will allow SDSU in the sky as they have great bball.

Sac and Portland, though, have almost no basketball team period.

Would not be suprised at all to see both of them gone soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:36 pm 
Also keep in mind that UND averages around 10k.

Even though they claim not to be intereste in the Sky or DI, that might change when they see DII eqs. drop from 36 to 24.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sac State has approved a new arena, freaking finally.

Whether that's destined for Big Sky or Big West is another matter. Thing is, if Portland goes where I think they're going, and that opens the Dakota door, there may not be a Great West to go to.

Burning question: to help Sac in this scenario, would UC Davis go to the Sky? Poly? Could Cal-State Bakersfield start up football? Does the Sky convince Oregon Tech to move up? [/ABSURDIST]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:56 pm 
Poly and Davis already have the Big West, which is where I think Sac State is also headed.

Since Utah State and Idaho are gone, the Big West becomes an all California League.

I simply don't know if they'd accept Portland State. I DO know that the Great West would accept both PSU and SSU, but I don't think Sac would leave the Sky unless it wanted to drop football.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:33 pm 
FYI...

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayarticle2.shtml

UND exploring move to Division I
The Associated Press

published: 12/3/2004

FARGO -The University of North Dakota appears interested in a closer look at expanding its NCAA Division I sports program, and one possibility is the Big Sky Conference.

The Forum reported in a copyright story Thursday that UND has formed a committee to gather information on the idea.

UND President Charles Kupchella said in October that the school was in no hurry to pursue Division I athletics for all its programs. UND now competes in Division I in hockey.

Athletic Director Roger Thomas said the Big Sky's move toward expansion "certainly perked things up."

The Big Sky Presidents Council meets Dec. 13 to decide which schools, if any, to formally visit. North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Southern Utah each have returned to the Big Sky a required questionnaire.

Thomas said UND would have to do surveys "and other types of mechanical things other people did" before it would make any official move toward Division I.

"We've been gathering information, but there are legitimate public steps that schools have done," he said. "We're well aware of those steps. Are we representing our coaches, fans, campus and faculty? If we make a decision, it has to be grounded in some facts."

NDSU Athletic Director Gene Taylor said he talked with Thomas about the issue. He said he also has taken phone calls from UND head men's basketball coach Rich Glas and head swimming and diving coach Maviael Sampaio.

Taylor said a proposal in January's annual NCAA Convention to reduce the maximum Division II football scholarships from 36 to 24 could be part of UND's discussions.

"If something happens in Division II, they need to have a plan in place," he said.

UND's committee includes Glas, Sampaio, Alumni Association development officer Rob Bollinger, head track and field coach thingy Clay, head football coach Dale Lennon, assistant volleyball coach Jason Holt, Ralph Engelstad Arena facility manager Mike Stromberg, Sioux booster club president Gary Euren and UND athletic administration grad assistant Chris Swenson, said Bollinger, who chairs the group.

"It's more investigative," Bollinger said. "It's very harmless at this point."

Bollinger said the Division II football scholarship proposal "is the reason it got more serious."

Kupchella said earlier that Division I expansion would require a $70 million endowment to generate $3 million more annually to pay for the athletic program.

The Forum said that through an open record's request of documents between UND and the Big Sky Conference, it obtained an Aug. 12 letter from Big Sky Commissioner Doug Fullerton to Kupchella inviting UND to open dialogue with the Big Sky.

In an Aug. 25 response, Kupchella wrote UND is "constantly monitoring the issue of NCAA classification."

"There are a number of 'factors' that we consider in assessing our best interests," Kupchella wrote. "Many of these are dynamic and certainly one of them is the availability of conference affiliation."

Thomas said UND will decide in the next 12 days on how it will respond.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:51 pm 
You know it's illegal to post entire articles, right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:01 pm 
Woops... had no idea!!! I would take it off if I could...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:47 pm 
Suprised the mods didn't catch it.

Try "modify" or "delete".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:40 pm 
Who cares?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:30 pm 

Quote:
Who cares?

Everyone does. UND, NDSU, and SDSU are very very relevant to people interested in seeing college sports being strong and viable in EVERY important corner of this great nation.

The Dakotas are a VERY important corner.

Go Bison!
Go Fighting Sioux!
Go Jackrabbits!
Go Coyotes too!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:50 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Really there is one mod for this board and it is Quinn. Footballgod and myself are not mods for this board. I rarely read this board anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Woops... had no idea!!! I would take it off if I could...

JackinDenver, just email Quinn and ask him to modify the article some. I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing that for you. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next