NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:42 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: CAA expansion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:57 pm 
Rumor has it that the CAA commish and a rep from VCU visited Georgia State just the other day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Rumor has it that the CAA commish and a rep from VCU visited Georgia State just the other day.

that is correct which leads me to believe the 14 member conference option is still on the table. the BB schools want GSU to hedge their bet in case the FB schools want to leave at some time in the future. They thought they would be getting BU but that did not work out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:39 am 
All-Star
All-Star

***FROM THE ASU DELPHI MESSAGE BOARD***

The things I have heard is that UNCG was off the table months ago. And CoC walked out of the talks two weeks ago leading to the App talks. Hampton also fell through because of reservations of Old Dominion and William & Mary. Though, Georgia St was visited this past week.
From what I am told, they are going to get UNCW a partner since Hofstra has it's partner (in Northeastern who WILL be the 11th member). So they technically don't need a football member, as Northeastern will be in as the 6th member (the NCAA minimum).

So basically, what I've heard is that both the basketball and football schools are happy with App's facilities and facility plans (ie football stadium) and are talking a serious move, but that this move will only include App out of the SoCon.

So, forgive me being blunt, but it sounds like this fell into your lap and it's a good opportunity and if it falls through, you know darn well who to blame.

So basically it would be:
Football
ASU
Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Towson
William and Mary
Northeastern

Non-football
Drexel
George Mason
Old Dominion
UNC-Wilmington
Virginia Commonwealth

And as usual, don't ask me to reveal my sources because I can't.

Good luck with it.

GOPhoenix97

http://forums.delphiforums.com/appstate/messages

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:22 pm 
The conference comparison. Other than basketball, the conferences are pretty equal. The SoCon is adding lacrosse soon.

So here's the head to head football comparison:

Average Attendance from 2003:
CAA:
Delaware: 18,800
James Madison: 10,200
William & Mary: 6,700
Northeastern: 3,700
Hofstra: 3,500
Towson: 3,400

Prospective Other Associate Members:
App: 14,600
Villanova: 9,500
UMass: 7,618
Maine: 6,700

SoCon:
Citadel: 16,700
Georgia Southern: 15,700
App: 14,600
Furman: 11,000
Western: 9,375
Wofford: 9,169
UTC: 7,000
Elon: 6,900

Prospective Replacements for App/ETSU:
EKU: 11,000
Hampton: 7,300
Richmond: 6,800
Coastal Carolina: 6,600

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:48 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

looks like charleston is definately not going to join the caa:

CHARLESTON FEELS HAPPY IN SOCON

By Scott Hamilton
Staff writer

If the budding rivalry between the UNC-Wilmington men’s basketball team and the College of Charleston is to continue, it appears it may have to do so as a non-conference series.

Charleston Director of Athletics Jerry Baker said Friday that even though the possibility of joining the Colonial Athletic Association has been discussed, he strongly expects the Cougars to maintain their position in the Southern Conference.

"We’re not interested in making any changes now, the main reason being we’re pretty comfortable being in the Southern Conference," Baker said. "The Colonial is an outstanding league, with excellent schools and excellent people. But the geography of it doesn’t set up well for us."

The facts back Baker up.

At least five of Charleston’s opponents are within a four-hour drive, including city rival The Citadel. A move to the CAA would deliver a major blow to Charleston’s travel budget, because its nearest rival would be UNCW barring any other regional additions to the CAA. Never mind the amount of class time its student-athletes would miss.

"Travel directly relates to dollars," Baker added, "and I don’t see any configuration that would allow us to spend money the way we do in the Southern Conference. I don’t see the move to be honest."

The subject of expansion became a hot topic in the days leading up to the CAA men’s basketball tournament when it was reported that the league’s presidents might vote on adding additional teams to the 10-team league during its annual meeting.

That apparently didn’t occur and the CAA released a statement that weekend saying the league would continue to explore the possibility of adding other teams, but that "no final decisions have been made, and … the conference will have no further comment until the appropriate time."

Official word has yet to come out, though that doesn’t mean talks haven’t continued. And Charleston’s would have a direct impact on UNCW. The Cougars have long been suggested as a potential travel partner for the Seahawks.

UNCW Director of Athletics Peg Bradley-Doppes, who was out of her office Friday, said in March that UNCW may have no choice but to explore other options outside the CAA if the league expands north and fails to produce a travel partner for the Seahawks. Bradley-Doppes cited budget concerns and missed class time as main reasons for pushing for southern expansion – essentially the same argument Baker made for Charleston staying put.

Bradley-Doppes also said UNCW was assured during the last round of expansion in 2001 –when an attempt to add several Southern Conference schools fell through and the league instead added Hofstra, Towson, Drexel and Delaware – that the CAA would focus on adding southern schools in the future.

In addition to Charleston, UNC-Greensboro and Georgia State have been mentioned as candidates to join the CAA, as well as America East members Northeastern and New Hampshire (each of which is an associate member of the Atlantic 10 in football).

With Charleston apparently determined to stay in the Southern Conference, however, the CAA may have lost its best option for a viable travel partner for UNCW.

"We really enjoy the affiliation we have playing Wilmington and would like to continue playing them – even playing them in more sports," Baker said. "But if it’s a struggle for them somewhat in the CAA, then it’s going to be even worse for us because we’re three and a half hours further south. It just doesn’t make sense for us."

so where does this leave uncw? i just hope those app. st. rumors are true cause i like the caa for uncw and would hate to see them "explore other options"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:39 am 
Ok, I will say it again.....

EKU to come in and replace ETSU.
And then add UNCW and possibly add Hampton too.

A small concise conference with some great football, basketball, and baseball schools. Adding all three of these schools would push the conference RPI even higher.... seems like this could be a solution where everyone wins.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:39 am 
Speaking of the SoCon right?

We need back in Virginia if at all possible. Great option would be UNCW for all sports and Richmond football only. Greatest option would be Wm&Mary only. Neither is likely.

The SoCon is approaching a crossroads. There is the possibility we can get stronger, a greater possibility is we lose some of our better programs. If the latter happens, I hope Furman is wise enough to be among the exodus. I have very little faith in the SoCon's leadership.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:29 am 
Freshman
Freshman

CAA to add Ga. State and Northeastern?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775512716&path=!sports!colleges&s=1045855934926

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

my guess is that either the caa couldnt get an nc school to join or that they chose media market over commitment to uncw. either way, while ga st. is a good school, this is not what uncw wanted.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:07 am 
So does that mean UNCW may be looking for another conference?

The SoCon may not be what you want, but what about the A-10 and use UNCC as a travel partner.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
So does that mean UNCW may be looking for another conference?

The SoCon may not be what you want, but what about the A-10 and use UNCC as a travel partner.

don't confuse what the UNCW fans want with what the UNCW Administration wants. They (the adminstration) were one of the main proponents of this expansion effort.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:38 am 
Freshman
Freshman

For what it's worth, nothing we didn't already know...

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775511472&path=!sports!colleges&s=1045855934926

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

the caa is making ga st. official tomorrow. they are holding a press conference around 2 in atlanta.

for those keeping track, these will be the members of the caa:

deleware
drexel
hofstra
townson
george mason
virginia commonwealth
old dominion
james madison
william and mary
unc wilmington ;D
georgia st.

i would imagine the question of when ga st. will join will be answered tomorrow. if ga st. leaves before the 2007-2008 season, then the atlantic sun will NOT QUALIFY for an automatic bid, as they will only have 5 members will the 5 years of continuity. this is why florida atlantic has to wait until the 2006-2007 season to be a full member of the sunbelt. it will be interesting to see when they join and what that will do to the asun.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:41 pm 
Junior
Junior

Seahawk,
If I'm UNCW, I'm not very happy with Ga State being added. 400 miles does not make a great travel partner. George Mason, JMU, ODU, VCU are all closer than Ga State.

I'm looking at the Southern Conference, or more southern expansion.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 2:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

the thing is, and this is just my opinion, i think the caa really tried to get us someone closer. coc was definately a target, but they werent interested. it was also reported that uncg was another target, but that fell through as well. im sure davidson was talked to also. we are committed to the caa and it fulfilled its promise to us by trying to get us an instate travel partner.

the socon is appealing with travel and geography, but the caa is a better fit for us in basketball and therefore i am satisfied with how everything turned out. if this is leading to a split, then maybe in the future coc, davidson, and uncg could be added to a bball only conference, which would be a dream for us.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next