NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:40 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

i dont know that much about the meac except that they seem to be struggling. all their teams have losing records except sc st. which is at 11-8. hampton really wants out and might get into the socon. famu was going to leave but has recently had second thoughts. what was the meacs reasoning for not taking savanah st. or morris brown, thats pretty low. also, if i wouldnt really think about joining the meac now if i was already in a secure conf. like the ovc.

Last edited by accseahawk on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:43 pm 
Not sure how TSU really fits in to the "bigger picture" of the OVC, but I guess they have dealt with the obvious culture issues for the last 15 years now. At least being in the OVC saves on travel costs...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:45 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

in my first post i put that the socon screwed mbu and ssu, i meant the meac.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:08 pm 
Accorinding to TSU fans, their school has been looking very hard at the SWAC lately.

Morris Brown was suppsedly talked into moving to DI by a SWAC athletic director who said that they would be guaranteed a spot in the conference. As you see, that was way wrong, and Morris Brown just couldn't get up with anything. I feel really bad for those students there.

Savannah St is one of those programs who upgraded in hopes of being invited by the MEAC. Savannah St doesn't have the money to upgrade its facilities or the budget to compete. They're barely skating along in DI as it is. And the MEAC doesn't want them because they will drag the conference down even worse than it is. Savannah St needs the MEAC much worse than the MEAC needs them. The same goes for the Big South and Savannah St.

There has been only one DII school that has been guaranteed a MEAC spot if they move up, that being NC Central.

A few other notes. Florida A&M, NC A&T, Hampton and SC State to an extent have all be pursueing methods to get out of the MEAC. Where this leads, I don't know. Also, Winston-Salem State is rumored to be considering the moveup to (according to the Winston-Salem Journal). If that happens, then they will be in the same boat as Savannah St. They just don't have the money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:13 pm 
If Morris Brown was "screwed" by anyone it was the SWAC--not the MEAC. Savannah State has no one to blame but themselves--did they expect MEAC membership to be achieved on the basis of being Shannon Sharpe's alma mater?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:48 pm 
North Carolina Central was a founding member of the MEAC in 1969, but didn't make the move up the D-1 with the rest of the MEAC in 1980. Of course they would be welcomed back. They could be big rivals with NC A&T again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:20 pm 
Sorry, I definately meant Morris Brown was screwed over by the SWAC and not the MEAC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:23 pm 
BTW,

Florida A&M's board of trustees has asked the school to reconsider moving up. I can;t remember if anyone said that or not, so I thought I'd bring that up too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

is a&t looking to get into the socon?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
is a&t looking to get into the socon?

that would send the RPI into the toilet ;D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:59 am 
A few months ago I heard that A&T had indeed applied to the SoCon.

The public schools (ie Western, Georgia Southern and App) are all happy with this.

But I think that some conference fans only look at one part of the puzzle. A&T has had a good football program, but outside of football their sports are terrible. Look at Basketball, they are far worse than the current BAD team in the Citadel. Women's Basketball though better is still bad. Baseball, etc etc etc.... you see where I am going with this.

From an all sports perspective, Hampton or Coastal would be a better choice, though A&T would have better fan support.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:16 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

right now the big south has five football teams. if six teams is needed to have an official league and qualify for an automatic bid, then why do they not grab an independent and have a six team football league, so in two years you can automatically qualify? se louisiana and savannah st look like good options. why not take one or even both to begin stablizing your football league. im sure they would be glad to have associate membership for a football league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:18 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

looking at se lousiana, they are southland all sports except football. why not join the southland for football too? take them off my big south possibility list

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:51 pm 

Savannah State Would Definitely be what the Big South needs in football, a 6th member that is a geographic fit for the conference...Savanna State needs the Big South to get some conference games and some rivalries going and some fans in the seats...they have played many of the top I-AA programs in the country, and it has not worked out for them...they're a pretty new football team and they need a pretty new football league to be a part of...and with most of the I-AA independents going elswhere(new conference or moving up) Savannah State would be the best choice for expansion.

Besides, none of the Big South Rivals(Southern Conference) schools would ever be caught dead in the Big South...so it's the only option...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure SE Louisiana intends to rejoin the Southland conference in football.