NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:05 am 
Freshman
Freshman

lets hope that the hoff or robert englund can do the same for OU! *wishful thinking*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:02 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Now its upto the BoD to accept them: http://www.chron.com/sports/college/art ... 260654.php

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Houston Baptist to join the SLC

http://www.chron.com/sports/college/art ... 277082.php

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:
Don't you realize the SLC has no interest in Houston Baptist? They are a school of last resort for the league. If the SLC really wanted them, they could have them. I think the league would prefer another program that actually has Division I facilities in place and an established football program - two things HBU does not have in place presently. If I had my guess, the SLC gave HBU a list of things it needs to do.

The SLC also has some internal issues as far as current members. How could they reach for 12 when you have at least two looking at moving up to FBS? And... well, I'm not going to say what I could...

Looks like we were right on this one FSA...who's next on the SLC wishlist? They have a 9/11 split so logically they should be looking to add another fb school and there really aren't any available in the area unless they dip down into DII which seems to the only real option left. There is always the possibility that A&M-CC or Oral Roberts could start a fb program (I'd bet on ORU) thus allowing UTPA to slide in as the second non-fb school, and I guess UTPA could also start a fb program like HBU did, but that seems even less likely...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Junior
Junior

tkalmus wrote:
Looks like we were right on this one FSA...who's next on the SLC wishlist? They have a 9/11 split so logically they should be looking to add another fb school and there really aren't any available in the area unless they dip down into DII which seems to the only real option left. There is always the possibility that A&M-CC or Oral Roberts could start a fb program (I'd bet on ORU) thus allowing UTPA to slide in as the second non-fb school, and I guess UTPA could also start a fb program like HBU did, but that seems even less likely...

Things changed from my initial post... and I've acknowledged this elsewhere.

HBU only came into the picture when they a) committed to football and b) announced an upgrade to their basketball facility with a new Special Events Center. Without both, they never had a shot at finding a way into the Southland Conference. There are still serious concerns that they will not achieve both, but evidently they got some big donors and individuals ready to join the University in bringing those to fruition.

And the funny thing is, I stated as much in the quote you quoted of mine - "think the league would prefer another program that actually has Division I facilities in place and an established football program - two things HBU does not have in place presently. If I had my guess, the SLC gave HBU a list of things it needs to do."

The new Special Events Center handles the facilities and while HBU is not an established football program, it is a football program... and this answered the SLC list of things to do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

At this point, things look pretty good for the Southland. I understand that the quality of the primary sport for all conferences at this level, basketball, is not going to be anything great. They lost UTSA, Texas St and UTA...in other words, they lost little. they replaced them with ORU who actually has had success. And now HBU comes in offering football. 9 for football was the key...one extra school as protection should Lamar make the FBS jump. Again, not a ton of football options out there...really just D2 upgrades at this point. But you gotta love that as a conference that NEEDED to add schools to replace departing ones, that they were able to do it conveniently with nearby HBU and adding ORU, a logical fit in the current Southland footprint. While schools in the Big Sky will be having to hold bake sales to come up with their travel money each year, the Southland, despite losing 3 schools, can still rely on bus trips. Nice to see.

I've written before about future Southland options. I still think UALR is a great fit if the conference can get them to join. Sure, no football, but really ideal with UCA in the conference. And clearly, UALR is the best basketball option at least when you consider the only candidates left would be Great West and D2. Sorry UTPA fans, will take a firm "no" from UALR and quality all-sports D2 schools before you get your invite for #12.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:
tkalmus wrote:

Things changed from my initial post... and I've acknowledged this elsewhere.

HBU only came into the picture when they a) committed to football and b) announced an upgrade to their basketball facility with a new Special Events Center. Without both, they never had a shot at finding a way into the Southland Conference. There are still serious concerns that they will not achieve both, but evidently they got some big donors and individuals ready to join the University in bringing those to fruition.

And the funny thing is, I stated as much in the quote you quoted of mine - "think the league would prefer another program that actually has Division I facilities in place and an established football program - two things HBU does not have in place presently. If I had my guess, the SLC gave HBU a list of things it needs to do."

The new Special Events Center handles the facilities and while HBU is not an established football program, it is a football program... and this answered the SLC list of things to do.

Just pulling your leg TT, I just remember how you said we were just as "pie in the sky" (or something like that) as other boards for thinking HBU would be a good fit...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
At this point, things look pretty good for the Southland. I understand that the quality of the primary sport for all conferences at this level, basketball, is not going to be anything great. They lost UTSA, Texas St and UTA...in other words, they lost little. they replaced them with ORU who actually has had success. And now HBU comes in offering football. 9 for football was the key...one extra school as protection should Lamar make the FBS jump. Again, not a ton of football options out there...really just D2 upgrades at this point. But you gotta love that as a conference that NEEDED to add schools to replace departing ones, that they were able to do it conveniently with nearby HBU and adding ORU, a logical fit in the current Southland footprint. While schools in the Big Sky will be having to hold bake sales to come up with their travel money each year, the Southland, despite losing 3 schools, can still rely on bus trips. Nice to see.

I've written before about future Southland options. I still think UALR is a great fit if the conference can get them to join. Sure, no football, but really ideal with UCA in the conference. And clearly, UALR is the best basketball option at least when you consider the only candidates left would be Great West and D2. Sorry UTPA fans, will take a firm "no" from UALR and quality all-sports D2 schools before you get your invite for #12.

Quinn,

UTSA, TX St, and UTA aren't little to the SLC, they were big markets with the largest student bodies in the entire conference, them leaving really hurts, UTA/UTSA were good (for the SLC) in bb and TX St was great in fb...

I also think UALR would be a great fit in the SLC but I'm pretty sure they want that 10th fb school to keep everything stable if Lamar/SHSU/SFA upgrade in a few years, but if UALR showed any interest I bet they would get an invite, but I don't see the SLC pursuing them at this time.

UTPA has a long way to go before they can seriously be considered, but it must be comforting for both the SLC and UTPA to know that if the SLC needs a school to help them recover from being raided that nearby UTPA is available...but if things settle down and membership stays constant, the only way UTPA can get an invite in the near future is if they, ORU or A&M-CC add fb then they can get the #10 fb spot or slide into the 2nd non-fb spot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

UALR going to the SLC would be like a CUSA school leaving to join the SBC. Why downgrade if they don't mind you staying where you are.

Since UNA was turned down by the OVC. I bet they'll ask to join the SLC. I don't know if they want to stretch out to NW Alabama. If not they'll hit up

1.ACU
2.Incarnate Word
3.C.Oklahoma
4.UTPA

in that order. No one else in D-II seems to be interested in the SLC. if all 3 decline, hello UTPA. I'm sure 2 or all 3 D-IIs would join if offered. If Lamar leaves then you could pull 2 from this list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:03 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't think that the Southland can afford that the D2 schools go thru the D1 process. I only say this because I am resident near the UTPA area and thus there has not been any reports from any local media as to UTPA receiving a visit to talks to any conference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:16 am 
Senior
Senior

My guess is that Lamar will go FBS (either Sun Belt or WAC) and the Southland will hold at 10. Maybe if Lamar doesn't move, they'll give UTPA a look for 12.

Would UTPA consider moving to D-II, maybe Heartland or Lone Star, if they can't get into the Southland? I don't know anything about the school or program but it seems they've been in limbo for quite awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 am 
Freshman
Freshman

dafoeberezin3494 wrote:
My guess is that Lamar will go FBS (either Sun Belt or WAC) and the Southland will hold at 10. Maybe if Lamar doesn't move, they'll give UTPA a look for 12.

Would UTPA consider moving to D-II, maybe Heartland or Lone Star, if they can't get into the Southland? I don't know anything about the school or program but it seems they've been in limbo for quite awhile.

I don't think UTPA would drop down to a D2.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:13 am 
Senior
Senior

dafoeberezin3494 wrote:

At this point if the Big East West division does happen (which is far from a certainty) the WAC is going to lose schools to the MWC and C-USA. I don't know if the Sun Belt would want Texas State and UTSA which means those two could be headed back to the Southland since they would end up in the MWC or C-USA and the WAC won't be around. UT-A would probably head back to the Southland as well giving them 14.

Of course the Big East West may not happen and the WAC may live which would mean Lamar to the WAC as you said. But seriously, who knows anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
dafoeberezin3494 wrote:

At this point if the Big East West division does happen (which is far from a certainty) the WAC is going to lose schools to the MWC and C-USA. I don't know if the Sun Belt would want Texas State and UTSA which means those two could be headed back to the Southland since they would end up in the MWC or C-USA and the WAC won't be around. UT-A would probably head back to the Southland as well giving them 14.

Of course the Big East West may not happen and the WAC may live which would mean Lamar to the WAC as you said. But seriously, who knows anymore.

I think the Sun Belt would be interested in TX St, UTSA, and UTA; right now the SBC has 11 fb teams (Southern Alabama is in the process of upgrading) and 1 non fb (Denver is joining the WAC) so they could easily take UTA to balance out UALR, and TX St UTSA and another school (like LA Tech if the WAC folded) for a 14/16 split. The more exposure the Sun Belt could get in Texas the better, the SBC is primed to lose a few members to CUSA (UNT, Troy, MTSU) so being proactive is a must.

Plus there is no way TX St goes back to the SLC (UTA might UTSA has a chance but is less likely) they've already declared intent to reclassify (upgrading) to FBS and have been approved by the NCAA and already started adding the additional scholarships. I'm not 100% positive but I thought that once you have declared and have been approved by the NCAA you were set (btw UTSA has to finish going to FCS before they can declare for FBS, and UTA is just changing conferences so they could go back if the WAC folded/became a western Bball only conference).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 am 
Senior
Senior

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
dafoeberezin3494 wrote:

If the Big East West happens, C-USA could add 3 (Louisiana Tech, New Mexico State, North Texas). Sun Belt could add UTSA, Texas State, UTA, Lamar for 12 football, 14 all-sports. Which would mean Southland would be at 10, and possibly stay there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next