NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southland Expansion
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

If the Southland is looking for small private schools....then the list would look quite different. My list was made mostly of semi-large fb playing schools.

Based on the last round of Southland expansion....it would appear that academics, private schools, or quality market could be a top priority?? What didn't appear important....longevity or quality of fb program. When or if they expand again....will they need to revisit their priorities or stick with the same criteria as last round?

It might also be important to figure out, for this argument, which schools might be leaving. Without quantifying those schools... it will be difficult to accurately represent the wholes that the Southland is trying to fill. So, who is most likely to get the call up? Sam, McNeese, SE La, C. Ark?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
If the Southland is looking for small private schools....then the list would look quite different. My list was made mostly of semi-large fb playing schools.

Based on the last round of Southland expansion....it would appear that academics, private schools, or quality market could be a top priority?? What didn't appear important....longevity or quality of fb program. When or if they expand again....will they need to revisit their priorities or stick with the same criteria as last round?

It might also be important to figure out, for this argument, which schools might be leaving. Without quantifying those schools... it will be difficult to accurately represent the wholes that the Southland is trying to fill. So, who is most likely to get the call up? Sam, McNeese, SE La, C. Ark?

Why am I not surprised you left Lamar out. Mcneese, SELA, and UCA are struggling in finance. Sam is the only 1 of your 4 that could afford, barely, fbs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

off topic but too good...ouch
http://www.panews.com/sports/x203992763 ... d-at-Lamar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:20 am 
Senior
Senior

playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Why am I not surprised you left Lamar out. Mcneese, SELA, and UCA are struggling in finance. Sam is the only 1 of your 4 that could afford, barely, fbs.

You are not surprised....because, I was picking schools that have been winning(the most important factor).

Don't take it personal....I know you didn't choose the staff, coaches, or players for Lamar. And once Lamar wins for a few years...they will get their time in the sun. But until then....they will have to wait, and win.

I felt...a few years ago...when Lamar was dumping a bunch of money into their facilities that they were on their way. Unfortunately, the wins have been hard to come by. I just hope that schools in better markets(HBU and UIW)...don't pass Lamar up, because of how long it is taking for Lamar to make something of itself.

The big reason I add McNeese and SE La to my list of schools the SBC should look into...is that...ULL is probably the first school to get the call up. Which means they will need to replace them with a good school from the same area. And the two schools from south Louisiana that are worth a darn....are McNeese and SE La.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

You are not surprised....because, I was picking schools that have been winning(the most important factor).

Don't take it personal....I know you didn't choose the staff, coaches, or players for Lamar. And once Lamar wins for a few years...they will get their time in the sun. But until then....they will have to wait, and win.

I felt...a few years ago...when Lamar was dumping a bunch of money into their facilities that they were on their way. Unfortunately, the wins have been hard to come by. I just hope that schools in better markets(HBU and UIW)...don't pass Lamar up, because of how long it is taking for Lamar to make something of itself.

The big reason I add McNeese and SE La to my list of schools the SBC should look into...is that...ULL is probably the first school to get the call up. Which means they will need to replace them with a good school from the same area. And the two schools from south Louisiana that are worth a darn....are McNeese and SE La.

SELA was losing to Lamar the last few years. SELA grabbed a huge number of fbs tranfers for 1 winning season and you call them a sbc candidate to move up. Ignore the struggling finances and the 7,000 seat stadium SELA can not fill up. But they are ready for the sbc. You see nothing wrong with your madness?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

SELA was losing to Lamar the last few years. SELA grabbed a huge number of fbs tranfers for 1 winning season and you call them a sbc candidate to move up. Ignore the struggling finances and the 7,000 seat stadium SELA can not fill up. But they are ready for the sbc. You see nothing wrong with your madness?

So what other school from Louisiana are you suggesting to fill in for ULL?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I've never seen SHSU defended so hard since Texas Terror vs all the Texas St. guys when they were going to move up. I guess SHSU vs Lamar is the new move up rivalry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I've never seen SHSU defended so hard since Texas Terror vs all the Texas St. guys when they were going to move up. I guess SHSU vs Lamar is the new move up rivalry.

I'm not trying to defend SHSU. I listed many more schools than Sam on my short list for the SBC.

What I am trying to say is that Lamar isn't ready. If a school can't win at any major sport...then they need to take some more time to develop a winning tradition. The SBC has enough 'new' schools....they don't need a new school that doesn't ever win.

Lamar has a record of 18-28(four seasons) since they restarted their fb program. And 10 of those wins have been against DII and DIII schools. So, that leaves 8 wins against their own league or DI schools...in four years. Which is an average of 2 wins per season.
I just don't see how 2 wins a season is going to add anything to the SBC especially when playing against tougher competition. If Lamar can't win in the Southland...then how will they win in the SBC?

Lamar's stadium is in good shape, as is. I don't think that the stadium is what is holding Lamar back.

Lamar's athletic budget(13.2mil) is only 800K higher than Sam Houston(12.4mil)...which isn't that big a difference. As a comparison...Liberty's athletic budget is 30.2 million, JMU's is 34.5 million, Delaware's is at 25.5 million and Towson's is 22.8 million. So, when compared to the east coast schools....the Southlands two schools are pretty low.
Schools on par with Sam and Lamar: UT Chatt., Jville State and Mo State. These three are between 12-13 million.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

So what other school from Louisiana are you suggesting to fill in for ULL?
None in Louisiana.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:28 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

No. I am not pimpin Lamar to a forum that has no power over Lamar moving up. I am just correcting misinformation and the Lamar suck post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

I'm not trying to defend SHSU. I listed many more schools than Sam on my short list for the SBC.

What I am trying to say is that Lamar isn't ready. If a school can't win at any major sport...then they need to take some more time to develop a winning tradition. The SBC has enough 'new' schools....they don't need a new school that doesn't ever win.

Lamar has a record of 18-28(four seasons) since they restarted their fb program. And 10 of those wins have been against DII and DIII schools. So, that leaves 8 wins against their own league or DI schools...in four years. Which is an average of 2 wins per season.
I just don't see how 2 wins a season is going to add anything to the SBC especially when playing against tougher competition. If Lamar can't win in the Southland...then how will they win in the SBC?

Lamar's stadium is in good shape, as is. I don't think that the stadium is what is holding Lamar back.

Lamar's athletic budget(13.2mil) is only 800K higher than Sam Houston(12.4mil)...which isn't that big a difference. As a comparison...Liberty's athletic budget is 30.2 million, JMU's is 34.5 million, Delaware's is at 25.5 million and Towson's is 22.8 million. So, when compared to the east coast schools....the Southlands two schools are pretty low.
Schools on par with Sam and Lamar: UT Chatt., Jville State and Mo State. These three are between 12-13 million.
Yet you say Mcneese and SELA are prime to move up. Post those budgets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm 
Senior
Senior

playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Lamar has 8 wins in fb in the last four years against fellow conference mates and other DI programs.

You can't get away from it. Lamar Sucks.
They aren't ready for anything except new players and coaches.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Lamar has 8 wins in fb in the last four years against fellow conference mates and other DI programs.

You can't get away from it. Lamar Sucks.
They aren't ready for anything except new players and coaches.

please post sela and mcneese athletic budget numbers so we can all see what you think is prime sbc...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

I don't think posting the financial numbers will solve anything.

The only reason I posted any numbers was because you claimed Lamar's budget was much higher than Sam's. And you claimed it was higher than the average in the SBC. And truthfully, it wasn't either one of those things...based on the numbers from the SBC.

Winning is the most important factor to get on my list for the next SBC member. Because they really need schools that can compete.
They have plenty of new blood already. Now they need a school that can compete. And preferably within the footprint.
Sam, McNeese, EKU, Jville State, and SE La have all been to the playoffs lately. Which is what I call competing. Lamar in that same time period(3yrs)....has about 5 conference wins. Which isn't very competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Yes but SHSU is the only other SLC school that has actually looked at moving up and was on the WAC's radar along w/ Lamar back when they thought they could save football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next